HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
Have noticed in this thread a few mentions of the standard ESC not being up to the job; what are you recommending in it's place!? (going to start fitting mine out soon so may as well get it right from the beginning!)

Cheers.
Because of those mentions, I used a CC T-Bird 36. No worries.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:49 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
+1 for the T-Bird 36.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
809 Posts
Suppose to be getting one of these for Christmas. Looking forward to it. Not sure which version I am getting. Probably the RTF version. Might fly it a few times on the Tactic radio and then switch it to my 18mz.

Is it worth putting flaps on this bird?
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Absolutely. This plane glides and glides and glides... Unless you have a very long landing place and don't mind walking, you will want the flaps. My $.02.

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Whatever came of the 'find the best h-stab AoI' project?
Y'know, I'm just kinda noodling along & reading the traffic, more or less saving up info to be used during the winter months mods & makeover period.....read that as halfway paying attention *nyuk nyuk* and something hit me.

First I guess I should make sure I've got this straight. The central theme IIRC was getting a more normal glide attitude, and curing the Calypso's odd behaviour of trying to go straight nose-up on power applications, right? How is raising the rear of the H-Stab gonna help that, when that actually makes it (the tail) dig downward deeper? Seems raising the front of the H-Stab would work better for that effect.....or am I mixing memories or way off base here?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Suppose to be getting one of these for Christmas. Looking forward to it. Not sure which version I am getting. Probably the RTF version. Might fly it a few times on the Tactic radio and then switch it to my 18mz.

I use flaperons on mine. They add a huge amount of drag with very few bad habits. Too much flap will drastically reduce aileron effectiveness but rudder works quite well even at low speeds. Flaperons are also much easier to program than a four-servo wing.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Whatever came of the 'find the best h-stab AoI' project?
Y'know, I'm just kinda noodling along & reading the traffic, more or less saving up info to be used during the winter months mods & makeover period.....read that as halfway paying attention *nyuk nyuk* and something hit me.

First I guess I should make sure I've got this straight. The central theme IIRC was getting a more normal glide attitude, and curing the Calypso's odd behaviour of trying to go straight nose-up on power applications, right? How is raising the rear of the H-Stab gonna help that, when that actually makes it (the tail) dig downward deeper? Seems raising the front of the H-Stab would work better for that effect.....or am I mixing memories or way off base here?
You're not mixing anything there Starhopper. The two traits are polar opposites. The question becomes which phase of flight is more important. The way the Calypso comes out of the box it behaves much more like a slope ship than a thermal ship. It can thermal just fine but it needs some coaching to get to altitude. As pretty as the Calypso is I'm afraid the Radian Pro may be better here but I need to get some stick time on the RP. The Calypso is perfectly capable, it just needs some optimization.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:09 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Well what was the H-stab wedgie supposed to cure, exactly? And I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what 2 'traits' you're speaking of as being opposites. Climbing to altitude vs gliding? 'Traits'??

One of the problems we had early-on in the Phoenix 2000's (P2K) tenure was a similar tendency to go nose-up under power, but it wasn't so pronounced as on the Calypso. You basically held a little down-elev while climbing, & she'd go a steady 50-60 up to 1000+ feet with barely a stair-step, as smooth & pretty as you please. What made it much more manageable during that climb was to shim the h-stab front with a couple 4mm washers.

On the P2K you could see the 'down dig' of the stab - it was designed into the plane, with an obvious buildup of fuselage at the extreme back end. Our mod basically countermanded that somewhat, reducing the down-incidence. And I gotta say....that big ol' clunky & heavy lookin' P2K in my not-so-humble opinion flies circles around this Calypso & all its 'beauty'. Maybe just my personal preferences as to the way it flies, but you actually get to fly, rather than struggling to keep it properly oriented while trying to fly, know'm saying? All the difference in the world as far as being pleasurable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,677 Posts
Hi, SH. There are two issues involved with the Calypso.

One issue is that it wants to dive in the glide. The remedy for this is up trim and/or moving the CG back from the recommended range. My buddy and I just haven't gotten enough stick time on it to figure out the optimum fix.

Pitching up under power has more to do with the design itself. The thick, high lift, wing gains lift, as speed increases, faster than the tail gains authority. I have found that it's easy to control, even with up trim in the tail, by holding the nose down until one builds sufficient airspeed. This requires a quick application of lots of down elevator right at the start of the climb.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, SH. There are two issues involved with the Calypso.

One issue is that it wants to dive in the glide. The remedy for this is up trim and/or moving the CG back from the recommended range. My buddy and I just haven't gotten enough stick time on it to figure out the optimum fix.

Pitching up under power has more to do with the design itself. The thick, high lift, wing gains lift, as speed increases, faster than the tail gains authority. I have found that it's easy to control, even with up trim in the tail, by holding the nose down until one builds sufficient airspeed. This requires a quick application of lots of down elevator right at the start of the climb.

Cheers!
Ahh, Pete - it was you. (Should'a known *LOL*) Well, first thanks for refreshing my feeble ol' memory. I hope at least it shows I'm paying some attention.
I remember now -- I was at stage of fashioning a couple 'cicle stix shims, but it sounded like you & your buddy was on the cusp of a final point so, held off awaiting announcement. (I hate 'go-back-ins', can ya tell?)

AFA the latter - flying it; your last 2 sentences describe to a 'T' exactly how I've been flying it. You just about have to, to get it up anywhere near enough to sort out the wrinkles. I say "to a T" but that's other'n my experimenting to discover what all it's capable of. Which right now is still only below mid-point; just not that much stick time on it as yet - maybe a couple hours total.

Seems I recall you're in a clime that's worse off than we are here - but it's appearing more & more that Ol' Man Winter remembered his manners & has begun to make his appearance here, right on his official 'birthday', so it's likely I'll hear more from you on the wedge before I'll be able to carry out any further tests myself. Right now my problem has become that of needing more aircraft storage than the house has at the moment, due to a sudden influx from an estate sale! Maybe Santa will leave me a new storage building? *hee hee ho!*

But, all said & done.....as I sit here in a warm house, with the flickering 'fire' of a flat-screen tv in the den, and in a festive mood (thank you, Duplin Carolina Burgundy!) I'm a-fixin' to get some supper in me and turn in for the day. Annnnd one thing I sure want to do is wish you all - ALL, the merriest of Christmasses & the whole holiday season as you can imagine, and an even better New Year!

Cheers!!
~S*H
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,677 Posts
Peace and joy back at you and yours, SH.

My biggest frustration with the Calypso is that it isn't mine. So? I've been trying to get the setup right while instructing the owner who hasn't flown powered gliders before and hasn't flown anything in years. I've flown it just enough to know that it will soar very well but it's not quite right yet. Now that he's picked up a Turnigy 9x radio we can try it this spring with a trainer cord and should make faster progress. Temps, here in Minnesota, are supposed to be between 10 and 20 degrees for the foreseeable future so not much opportunity to fly.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
great arf
woodall is offline Find More Posts by woodall
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Battery charger Error

Hey guys, I just got this Calypso today for Christmas. However when I plug the battery in to charge it gives me both red and green flashing lights (error). Dose anyone know what's wrong or how to fix this, could it be a random luck thing where the lights where wired wrong and this flashing really means its charging normally?
sumofkyle is offline Find More Posts by sumofkyle
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
809 Posts
Calypso Go Pro Test (3 min 0 sec)

Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumofkyle View Post
Hey guys, I just got this Calypso today for Christmas. However when I plug the battery in to charge it gives me both red and green flashing lights (error). Dose anyone know what's wrong or how to fix this, could it be a random luck thing where the lights where wired wrong and this flashing really means its charging normally?
Believe what the manual tells you. Double check that you followed the charger setup & hookup steps precisely. If you don't spot a problem, disassemble it & have someone else set it up per the instructions & see if they get the same results. All that's saying is sometimes it takes the smallest thing to throw you off.

Plus, playing the numbers, the LiPo is much more likely to be bad than the charger is. Especially -as I have seen 3 times now in the past 4 months- when it's a LiPo that's supplied by the plane maker.

Final proof of the pudding -- borrow if you must, another LiPo you know's in good shape and hook up to your charger. If same results & both lights start blinking, bad charger. If it shows charging normally, bad (first) LiPo.

The show ain't over yet! There's a chance you can 'save' that arguably bad LiPo. Not with the supplied charger....but have a friend put it on his better-grade charger and get it recognized as a 3s (which I'm suspecting you might have a low cell & the simpler charger won't recognize it as such....hello, error code) and IF there's a low cell, get it up to where it'll balance with the others. Last one I received with my Corvalis took 5 2-hour cycles +40 minutes to get it leveled off with a full charge.

There's also ways to 'force' them to take a charge -- check Goog/YouTube & attempt at your own risk.

IF you don't have a better (balancing) charger for the LiPo (+other batt.forms eg LiFe, NiMH &c), you'll want one. $30-40 tops.

And........welcome to the sickness.
RCG Plus Member