Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:23 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Another 'me too'

I helped a co-worker pick up a Radian as his first delve into the world of RC and decided I needed something made of foam to fly with him. A Calypso came home with me yesterday. I've got some instrumentation in it so I plan on making measurements of climb rate that may help those interested in ALES decide which route to take and provide insight into which upgrades are most effective. I'm also throwing in my CC ICE 50 so I'll collect output, current, RPM and temperature data as well. I don't expect it to climb like a homesick angel but as long as it can at least keep up with a Radian I'll be satisfied (for now). I don't expect to be adding flaps, I'll just mix in flaperons like I do with my DLGs.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
I have started with the XG6 to try it out--it has worked well. I am about to set up a DLG and a sloper with the same. Once Horizon manages to get an inventory of the XG11 with a proper mode 2 switch layout, I'm planning to get one.

I posted details on how i am using this radio with the Calypso elsewhere on RC Groups. If your interested I can send you a link later.

-Randy
Please share your XG6 experience here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783680
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
I helped a co-worker pick up a Radian as his first delve into the world of RC and decided I needed something made of foam to fly with him. A Calypso came home with me yesterday. I've got some instrumentation in it so I plan on making measurements of climb rate that may help those interested in ALES decide which route to take and provide insight into which upgrades are most effective. I'm also throwing in my CC ICE 50 so I'll collect output, current, RPM and temperature data as well. I don't expect it to climb like a homesick angel but as long as it can at least keep up with a Radian I'll be satisfied (for now). I don't expect to be adding flaps, I'll just mix in flaperons like I do with my DLGs.
I am VERY interested in what you learn in relation to use of this glider for ALES.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,443 Posts
Hi, aeajr.

I still don't have enough time on the Calypso to offer anything but a quick impression but....

The very first flight, after cranking in a whole bunch of up trim, I caught a little bubble of lift on my landing approach. So? I decided to start circling in that small thermal at around 50 feet and only bailed out because I had used the motor enough that I was worried about how much battery power I had left.

It's very good in light lift but, with the current setup, doesn't penetrate as well as I would like. My buddy crashed it before we had time to play with reflexed flaps so I'm not sure how much effect that will have. Still; I am dead certain that the Calypso will be a very capable ALES vehicle, for an entry level foamy, once it is properly trimmed and balanced. Alas, it will probably be spring before we get her dialed in.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
Grasse, France
Joined Aug 2006
29 Posts
Hi,
Just a few words, to say you can find this model in Europe under another name. It is Vinerva, and I like very much it's color scheme
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=94965
I have only a few flight but I have the same issue( need up trim) and I am installing Flap because it will be much easier to land in small place.
Kr
AL
Alfourbe is offline Find More Posts by Alfourbe
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,693 Posts
A fellow clubmember called me just before noon & said he had some guests coming in from out of town & they were headed to the field. I still had the Calypso in back of my wagon so turned away from my errands to join them.

After setting up to fly, I loaded an 1800mAh Nano-Tech and after plugging up, instead of the 'recognition beeps' the prop started jumping sightly & the motor making 'gagging'-like 'chuk' sounds & almost instantly the LiPo puffed. I still had the XT60 connectors in my hand so yanked them apart, already feeling the heat. I sat there a few seconds, kinda stunned, then thought to yank the LiPo & toss it out onto a nearby dirt patch. Several seconds later I touched the ESC and it was hotter'n a firecracker. Motor leads also - I was surprised the insulation wasn't melted.

I let everything cool down & loaded another 1800 LiPo, made a tentative connection & about 2 seconds later saw smoke. No puffing this time but again the ESC was unbelievably hot. I happened to have a spare 30A ESC with me & changed it over to test whether it was it or the motor causing the problem....everything ran fine & enjoyed a nice 12+ minute flight.

There's been absolutely no trauma - not even a hard landing with the stock ESC other'n the looping plop from the stab striking my hand which I previously mentioned. I had 3 flights afterwards that day with no ill effect, and everything's ran smooth as baby oil several flights since then, so have no real idea of why the ESC went bad -- it's just one of those electrical failure things I guess. Best thing I can say is, keep an eye on them - or better, a finger for several seconds after plugging up power, until you're confident it's a good unit. Mine's probably a random occurance, but forewarned is forearmed as they say.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,443 Posts
That sucks, SH. I've had really good luck with modern power systems but sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I did manage to puff up the Li-po I had in my transmitter but that was because I left it turned on for around 48 hours. Thankfully there was no damage to the Tx!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Very interesting. I too, had the same thing happen, or nearly. And this was when I first got the plane put together. As the manual said, I disconnected one of the motor to ESC wires and powered up the system, expecting the typical beeps. Instead, the motor chugged violently, back and forth about an 1/8th of an inch each way, in rapid succesion. This happened over several attempts. Odly enough, by switching to a different wire to have disconnected, the system worked and there apears to be no damage. Very strange.
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:15 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Two occurrences in a small group such as this suggests a relatively high failure rate. I'm sure its most likely to be a statistical anomaly but I'll probably just leave my Castle in for the time being.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I am VERY interested in what you learn in relation to use of this glider for ALES.
I have flown mine in an ALES competition twice thus far. I didn't have the plane dialed-in for either competition given I had just bought the plane the first time and just installed the flaps the night before the second time. I did beat a Radian flown by an experience pilot, but it could have been a fluke. I have flown both the Radian and this plane on the same day one after another. The Radian may be more floaty, but it might be just more forgiving a plane for someone who has not mastered the features of a full-house sailplane.

I am trying again tomorrow morning...we'll see how it goes.

BTW, it reaches our local competition altitude of 150 meters well within the 30 second window with the stock prop and motor. I am using Hyperion 1300mah 3s batteries and a 30 amp speed controller, though. I never tried the stock battery though I did try the stock speed controller which seemed to perform the same but ran hotter.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Dec 08, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
I'm still analyzing data but after flying a regular Radian and a Calypso back to back the Calypso I can say that the Calypso is much, much faster. With Flaperons it slows way down to the point where my touchdown speed was lower than the Radian's. Factory CG on the Calypso is very, very conservative. With my 1300mAh battery all the way back on the flat portion of the cavity I still had a significant amount of up trim to maximize glide. I suspect that the common practice of shimming the horizontal stab is only covering this inconvenience. I'm going to fiddle with battery and equipment locations, prop/motor combinations and see what I can come up with. So far the highest I've gotten in 30 seconds was 520ft (approx 160m). Since our contests are to 200m I'll need to do some more adjusting. Maybe more data on Tuesday when weather is more favorable.

Here's a graph from my Spektrum STI data set of the maiden and me noodling around the sky to get first impressions of flight envelope. WX: Temp mid 60's (F), winds calm, sky overcast.
Last edited by Lacquerhead; Dec 09, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:13 PM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Wow! Lacquerhead. Those are some impressive numbers! 520ft in 30 seconds? Good Lord, that's amazing (to me, I'm not that familliar with this sort of thing).

I calculated your total seconds. That's 4 hard climbs, 300 to 500+ feet, and flight time of 7.71 minutes with a 1300 mah.

I can't wait to get mine maidened!
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,055 Posts
520 is enough to at least play in a 200 meter target contest. The Radians typically hit about 170 meters/560 feet or so, stock out of the box. In our ALES contests we let absolutely stock Radians fly without an ALES unit.

A prop change from a 9.75X7.75 to an 10X8 gets them to 200 meters in about 27 seconds, depending on conditions and the skill of the pilot. If you have some capacity on the ESC you might try a similar prop upgrade.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
405 Posts
I tested mine again this weekend in an ALES competition.

With a total weight of 855g, my Calypso can reach the competition height of 150m (492ft) in 19-20 seconds. We use a 30 second launch window, so that gives 10 extra seconds to help me reach the destination of a suspected thermal before reaching max height.

In climbing the same thermal, I could keep up with the Radians just fine when I applied full camber though keeping a consistent bank angle is a more difficult than with the Radian (based on my many hrs flying Radians). The Calypso definitely has greater speed capability and ability to deal with wind--I really dislike flying the Radian in windy conditions. BTW, my CG is pushed to the most rearward position recommended in the manual and I have not shimmed the horizontal stabilizer.

My setup... I'm using a 30 amp quantum speed controller, 25c 1300mah 3s Hyperion battery, Aeronaut 9x5 prop, upgraded aluminum spinner w/ aluminum nose (the one recommended by Esprit model), and flaps. You can do better with a 10x6 prop (requires ~10% more power) which I also tried, but I don't recommend it with the stock motor and definitely not with the stock ESC. I decided to be conservative and stick with the 9x5.

I'm using WingedShadow's Sky Limit altitude limiter set at 150m. I also have a JR DMSS altimeter installed that beeps on my radio when I reach 150m to help with measurement.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:39 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Seems like the general consensus is that the stock motor is fine for general purpose noodling around the sky but for ALES competitions, particularly those with a 200m climb ceiling, the power system could stand some beefing up. An upgraded ESC, perhaps something like a CC Thunderbird 36, and a 10x6 prop will probably do fine. I haven't done a static run to feel how hot the motor gets. The way the motor mounts is the biggest disadvantage. The reverse mounted Radian motor gives you a larger space to work with behind the firewall while the front mounted motor on the Calypso fixes you at 28mm. That's kind of a bummer to be perfectly honest. Hopefully I can get the performance I want with just a prop and ESC upgrade.