SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Actually, the connector housing on the battery is female even though there is one male pin and one female socket inside the housing to maintain polarity. The point is to have the pins covered to help prevent shorting out the live battery pins although I believe the style of housings in your picture cover the pins in either case. On the more common deans connectors, the pins are fully exposed on one half of the mating pair.
I'm fully aware that Deans and Bullet connector are two different animal. I refer the male or female connector to their configuration of pin or socket NOT to their plastic covers. So in my case, in order to match Calypso stock ESC connector I need a battery with two female sockets. This kind of set up, is good for Deans type of connector. But for 3.5mm connector, while their pin or socket is fully protected by plactic cover from shorting, is not as good.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Last edited by GTstrudl; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
624 Posts
flew at the slope for the first time today. I love this plane. I had perfect wind and there where thermals all over the place.

Had a perfect spot landing with the help of my flapperons.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Cool man. Where in the South Bay did you fly it?
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
624 Posts
Del cero park
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Just look at the attached photo. The ESC has one female and one male connector. The battery has the same thing. I understand that as for electrical connection concern, it doesn't make any difference.
I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
Del cero park
Right on. That is the first place I flew a model 30 years ago!
The Calypso should be dialed in there for sure.
Cheers.
George
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Oct 2004
29 Posts
Just saw on the 'Tracker' that my Calypso has made it here to the shores of Australia from the USA - come on, waiting impatiently here! :-)
nadg63 is offline Find More Posts by nadg63
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 PM
Still Learning
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
I'm switching to a 30 amp esc and a hacker 20-22L with an aluminum spinner and a 10x6 prop as per esprit models suggestions.
Can you be more specific about which 10x6 and aluminum spinner.

Also, what is a "turbo" spinner.

Thanks
Outrunner195 is offline Find More Posts by Outrunner195
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
103 Posts
Hang in there, you're in for some fun!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
Just saw on the 'Tracker' that my Calypso has made it here to the shores of Australia from the USA - come on, waiting impatiently here! :-)
Hang in there, you're in for some fun! I have two other aircraft in the hangar but the Calypso is currently the only one I'd replace outright in the event of a complete loss. Just too much fun racking up the flight time. Hope you enjoy many happy flights.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Oct 2004
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr View Post
Hang in there, you're in for some fun! I have two other aircraft in the hangar but the Calypso is currently the only one I'd replace outright in the event of a complete loss. Just too much fun racking up the flight time. Hope you enjoy many happy flights.
Come on! 4 days USA - Australia, been on these shores for 3 days and still not delivered - hurry up
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Oct 2004
29 Posts
It's arrived
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:32 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Glad for you Nadg63! Hope you enjoy it.

I maiden mine today. It flew fine. It was a little nose heavy (2200mah, + chimed tail) & at the end when I was about ready for my final approach; the motor came unscrewed from its mount. I landed it ...kinda ok . It was on its back ....from my panic. BUT, everything is ok from what I can tell. It will fly again★
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Oct 2004
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Glad for you Nadg63! Hope you enjoy it.

I maiden mine today. It flew fine. It was a little nose heavy (2200mah, + chimed tail) & at the end when I was about ready for my final approach; the motor came unscrewed from its mount. I landed it ...kinda ok . It was on its back ....from my panic. BUT, everything is ok from what I can tell. It will fly again★
Glad it made it down without damage! Note to self, check motor mounting!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:38 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,920 Posts
I've just joined all you other Calyp-Captains & this seems to be 'the' active thread for this bird so, diving in!
I got the Rx-R version, having already gained the AnyLink module from an earlier Corvalis buy. Maidened her in slightly heavier than optimal wind conditions (10-12m/h gusting) on last Saturday without incident. Winds aloft were higher but no way of measuring up there. Buffed around a bit as would be expected, & struggled a bit into the head - no powerhouse of a motor - but she handled it all well.

I used a 3s 1800mAh 25C pack balanced slightly forward for the conditions (penetration) & only had to add a couple clicks of up-trim. Had to watch out for slight tendency to over-climb; even worked in a couple of loops since she was already 'into' them -- could've controlled out but, went ahead & looped for the test. Started a couple of rolls but she fell out both times so, learned my lesson & will save for a calmer day. Didn't think to try inverted -- but will later.

Since I got a late start & evening falls quickly (and coldly once Sol starts to dip in these shortened days!) I only got 2 flights in before calling it. Was pretty stoked and, with Tuesday so nice (almost 70*) & slightly less wind, I tore out to our strip & put all 4 of my 1800's thru her, limiting to 8-10 minutes until I can get a better feel for mAh consumption. A LOT of that was power off -- she rides the wind pretty well with any lift, but will definitely come down if you don't stay atop of her attitude.

Turns - she definitely likes a little rudder. She'll drag the tail around pretty smoothly just banking & yanking but a touch of rudder cleans it up nicely & gives much shorter arc. After my 2nd flight I mixed in a bit (10% iirc) & there was improvement but plan to try some other settings.

I was basically flying large 8's to get a feel for how she dealt with the wind, & shooting several T&Gs to determine landing setups. On one downwind leg I saw a wing kick up sharply, circled back & caught a nice thermal I couldn't quite hold her in but, rode with it & in no time she was nearly out of sight. We rode that for about 6 minutes with no power; actually had to bring it out as the light was failing & she was so high & away I was struggling to keep oriented.

Landings were a cinch. She'll float nicely in ground effect so be prepared for long finals or hot touchdowns. Or both! (We'll talk about the small bruise just above my ankle some other time. I've already got a couple micro servos laid out & plan to have 'er flapped before our next adventure!

This bird reminds me a lot of the 2M Phoenix 2000 the way she flies, but a bit more agile & not quite as steady in the wind. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for anyone rated experienced beginner or higher. And one more 'bennie' - to a man all the club guys (& one lady too) gave her high scores on her looks!
One even said "It sure is pretty - I'll have to get me one!" (How's that for the basis of buying a plane!?!) *LOL*

All-in-all, Bogie said it best: "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Hear, hear!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member