HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
I should add that...

I still had to add a little up trim for power-off flight. With power on, some down elevator (either manual or mix) is required to keep the climb angle reasonable.

Since I do most of my Calypso flying power-off, this is how I have set mine up.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Thanks Guys!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:56 AM
Esprit Model
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
They're Here.....
Techflyer is offline Find More Posts by Techflyer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Got lucky & p/u RxR version in HobbyTown Baton Rouge. I thought the price was fair. Added 1-1/2 oz in nose to get CG right. Maiden flight went well. I can definitely get used to this! I'm used to lugging glow fuel, starter battery etc. Its time to smell the roses. A FlyZone battery was not on the shelf when I bought...no worries: the actual metal plugs are all the same (once you strip the plastic housing off). Don't cut & re-solder.
Romans8one is offline Find More Posts by Romans8one
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Roman, I hope you have fun with this bird..

Does Anyone out there knows the specs on the Calypso motor? What are the ture amps or the continuous current? And the max burst amps..for how many sec?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Roman, I hope you have fun with this bird..

Does Anyone out there knows the specs on the Calypso motor? What are the ture amps or the continuous current? And the max burst amps..for how many sec?
on 3S 2600mah 65C with stock electronics mine pulls 17 amps full throttle.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:55 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Gundam, did you actually fly with a 2600 mah? Someone here said that a 2200mah will make the the plane nose heavy for some reason.. Let us GP.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Did some mixing

I flew this morning with 10% down elevator mixed with flaps and 15% down elevator mixed with throttle. The flap mixing was perfect. I can use a bit more down elevator with throttle. Before mixing it required quite a bit of down elevator to keep it from climbing vertically. Now it requires just a touch of down. I'll mix that out.

Beautiful-flying plane.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Warning to flyers new to this plane - especially new flyers

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, a full stall results in the nose dropping like a pendulum to vertical. Be sure you don't do a full hard stall close to the ground.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
I notice that no one is really answering fully any questions about a replacement motor. Does anyone have specific suggestions (make and model numbers). I just ordered an ARF today and I am trying to put everything I need together. Any suggestions on a decent ESC in the 30 amp range? This will be my first glider and I am quite excited after reading all of the mostly positive posts. I truly appreciate any help.
wrecklessralph is offline Find More Posts by wrecklessralph
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:53 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
I had one stock servo crap out while setting up the plane up. Switched rud & elev servos with some trusty cheap HXT 900s I'm switching to a 30 amp esc and a hacker 20-22L with an aluminum spinner and a 10x6 prop as per esprit models suggestions. From the reports the stock power system sounded OK but I like to do 70 degree climbs and you can't beat the Hacker motors for power to weight. The stock motor on a 10x6 got really hot after a 30 second static run. I bought a hobby king motor that looked like an upgrade but it was to long and stuck out the nose.
So besides the so so stock electronics the airframe is really well made. Much more finished out than the Radian which I love so we will see after the maiden how it stacks up to the completion.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Last edited by Lammergier; Nov 06, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:22 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklessralph View Post
I notice that no one is really answering fully any questions about a replacement motor. Does anyone have specific suggestions (make and model numbers). I just ordered an ARF today and I am trying to put everything I need together. Any suggestions on a decent ESC in the 30 amp range? This will be my first glider and I am quite excited after reading all of the mostly positive posts. I truly appreciate any help.
I originally ordered an ARF. I was put off by the fact that I could find no specs on the stock motor. I changed my (back)order to Rx-R. I've flown my stock Calypso about 20 times and have found the stock motor to be more than adequate so far. My Calypso will climb essentially vertically (though for how long I don't know.) I have had no heat problems using the stock prop.

As for a "decent" esc, In my opinion you cannot beat Castle Creations. I am using a CC Thunderbird 36 in my Calypso. CC escs have always proven smooth and reliable. Their customer service is top notch.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:41 AM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Esc

Wreckless.......

For a different (power) plane, I picked up an Emax Budget 30 amp ESC for $16 from Hobby King. I'm happy with it. I don't know alot about this stuff, but the unit is very light weight, not overly large in width or thickness, and just gets a tiny bit warm after a 10 minute flight. It's controlling a Power Up 450 Sport brushless motor. Excellent value.
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
658 Posts
maidened mine today, it's flying a stock motor, 30amp hobbywing esc, and hxt 900's for servos.

i had a real hard time finding the CG and flying without a ton of up elevator trim. Once i got it sorted out I then worked on shortening the landings. I'm using the a. brake function in my 7c. I have the ailerons going to up 85% and the elevator at up %15 percent. The helps to force it to the ground. This plane hates landing.

I'm surprised i had to use up elevator with my air brake, usually it's the opposite. I'm going to try the tail incidence mod, then retry the brake. Also i may mess with the flaperons.
P.I.Engineer is online now Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Important safety tip:

When you put your 3D plane down and pick up the Calypso, change your Tx to "Calypso." Doh!

The elevator servo in my 3D plane is reversed in relation to the one in the Calypso. The forward part of my Calypso fuse has a subtle upward bend now - just enough that the canopy doesn't fit. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to correct it, but one way or the other I'll fix it.

The worst part of this is that this is not the first time I have pulled this little trick.