HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
I switched to a turbo spinner and a 10x6 prop. pulls 17 amps. Did a static run at full power for 45 seconds and the esc was pretty warm but not anything to worry about. Installing the flap servos before the maiden. I guess we will see if the power train can handle it. I like that it has a hefty carbon spar. The construction looks very good and it a beautiful plane.
You thinking about changing the esc to a 20 or 25amp? Hey let us know how it works out! I may do the same thing.

By the way where can I get that the same folding prop?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
893 Posts
I am wondering if the stock 18amp ESC is holding well after these flap servos are added?
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,997 Posts
Good point... we may have to resort in getting a 20 or 25amp switching ubec. Perhaps
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,395 Posts
I was a little concerned about the ESC too but it seems to handle the flap servos without issue. Working the servos as hard as possible there was no major heat build up or the slightest sign of dropping off line. There might be a problem if one uses the flaps as ailerons but I don't even think that would be necessary.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,395 Posts
Turbo spinners are available from Esprit models and they generally seem to keep their items in stock. I picked up a couple pairs of the Aeronaut CAM props and I'm really impressed. Stiff, light, and a nice distribution of the blade area. With an 11X6 on my KDA 22-20L motor i picked up about 200 RPM compared to a cheap plastic prop I tried.

http://www.espritmodel.com/spinners-...prop-nuts.aspx
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,997 Posts
Thanks that's good to know. But being I have the ARF, I'll just slip my esc I have on hand.....

UPS just rung my bell. Its the folding prop Hibbico sent me. That's some fast service!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,395 Posts
Yeah. I get a little nervous about stock ESCs. The original in my ASW 28 seemed to get awful hot. Now? I've pretty much decided that all my ESCs will have switching BECs or I'll just use a stand alone BEC if/when I go to something with more and bigger servos.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Turbo spinners are available from Esprit models and they generally seem to keep their items in stock. I picked up a couple pairs of the Aeronaut CAM props and I'm really impressed. Stiff, light, and a nice distribution of the blade area. With an 11X6 on my KDA 22-20L motor i picked up about 200 RPM compared to a cheap plastic prop I tried.

http://www.espritmodel.com/spinners-...prop-nuts.aspx
We have batch of BB 45/3/8mm spinners on the way.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Thought you guys might like this picture of my FPV calypso taken by my friend dave with his FPV quadcopter:

gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
We have batch of BB 45/3/8mm spinners on the way.

Zb/Esprit Model
Yeah, you teasers! After you posted pics earlier in this thread, I went to your site to order and saw

COMING SOON

Teasers!
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:36 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,997 Posts
Great Screensaver G-pete!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:16 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Thanks! Glad you like it.

I just installed the "last one down" variometer under my canopy too. It gives me vertical speed beeps just like a full size glider would use. I can't wait to test it, it's the PCB on the right on this picture.

gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,997 Posts
Hey guys, again... where to shim the elevator? The back or front And where specifically?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:59 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Hey guys, again... where to shim the elevator? The back or front And where specifically?
Shim the horizontal stabilizer at the rear. There is a "trough" at the top rear of the fuse that the tail assembly sits into. I used a little piece of 1/8 thick X 1/4" wide wood. It fits nicely in the trough and raises the rear of the tail a bit. Seems to work just fine, as my Calypso flies a treat.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,395 Posts
Hi, G-Lo.

Assuming that you had to add up trim you would place the shim under the rear of the stab. We used a piece of aluminum foil folded over till it's around 1/16" and small enough to fit in the molded slot. A thin piece of plywood or cardboard hardened with CA would work too.