HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Oct 2003
111 Posts
I first saw this bird at RCX last April in Long Beach. I've been waiting patiently for its release date. The rep Hobbico sent to RCX didnt know much about it, and never heard of slope soaring, so I've been in the dark about its ability to slope till now. Well I finally bought the Tx-R version today. I plan on doing my maiden in Morro Bay off the mild slope next month if everything works out. I cant wait. This is my first powered glider. I will be nice to not have to pull out the high start.
evlwevl is offline Find More Posts by evlwevl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
Ordered RxR version yesterday. Intend to use 3S 2200mAh battery. Anyone here have experience with 2200mAh other than adjust CG?
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
Mine has been delivered!

Rx-R, and according to UPS it's at the house right now! Guess I'd better take off work early. I plan to use TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100s.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Just brought in my ARF from off the front porch! And just opened the box....nice!!*
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
Rx-R, and according to UPS it's at the house right now! Guess I'd better take off work early. I plan to use TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100s.
All put together and ready to fly. It balanced perfectly with my battery of choice. I used a CC T-bird 36 instead of the included esc. Of course the wind was howling (while there was still light.) I think it's supposed to be very windy tomorrow as well - and we're talking Oklahoma wind here.

I'm not overly impressed with the prop/spinner. I'm going to take a look at the setup touted earlier in this thread. If it isn't too much heavier, I'm going for it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
My Rx-R arrived via the Jolly Brown Truck this afternoon. All put together, AR600 installed, balances on the spar with 3S, 1300 mAh LiPo as far forward as reasonably possible. Weight 845-850 gm. Rain is predicted for tonight and tomorrow morning, so I now await Mother Natures indulgence and reports from those who have decent flying weather.
WooHoo
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
Great to hear that they are getting delivered. Just watch out for a strong wish to dive on those first tests! The CG will look right, the tail will be tight, the tail's incidence will look right, and everything else will look right but you may need a bunch of up trim. It's best to use any available hill and/or someone else to make the first couple launches in case you have to yank the stick back in a hurry. She flies very nicely once the elevator trim and/or incidence are sorted out and is very forgiving. I have also found it best to gradually reduce throttle to avoid dropping the nose.

Have fun!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Great to hear that they are getting delivered. Just watch out for a strong wish to dive on those first tests! The CG will look right, the tail will be tight, the tail's incidence will look right, and everything else will look right but you may need a bunch of up trim. It's best to use any available hill and/or someone else to make the first couple launches in case you have to yank the stick back in a hurry. She flies very nicely once the elevator trim and/or incidence are sorted out and is very forgiving. I have also found it best to gradually reduce throttle to avoid dropping the nose.

Have fun!
Duly noted. Thank you.
Richard
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:26 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Ordered RxR version yesterday. Intend to use 3S 2200mAh battery. Anyone here have experience with 2200mAh other than adjust CG?
May be nose heavy with a 2200. I push the CG as much as I prefer to by using an 1800, which is seated back as far as possible. This size still gives me 5 lifts and 40 minute flights.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
May be nose heavy with a 2200. I push the CG as much as I prefer to by using an 1800, which is seated back as far as possible. This size still gives me 5 lifts and 40 minute flights.
I've read a review by Burc Simsek. He said "I also tried a 2200mAh and did not notice a major difference in the handling of the Calypso."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1462
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
With my TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100 placed about 1/2" forward of its aftmost possible position, my Calypso balances just ahead of the spar (1/4"?)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
My receiver (FlySky) have a very long antenna. Shoud I have it come out from the bottom of fuselage? Top?
Or leave it inside the fuselage, just like Tactic receiver.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
With my TP ProLite 25C 3S 2100 placed about 1/2" forward of its aftmost possible position, my Calypso balances just ahead of the spar (1/4"?)
According to published manual, recommended CG is 1/4" ahead of spar. So your setup is right on the spot.
Last edited by GTstrudl; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
According to published manual, Forward Limit is 3/4" ahead of spar. Is that mean your setup is OK?
Yes. Although I don't have the manual in front of me, it seems to me that 1/4" ahead of the spar is the recommended CG.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Hey guys, anyone of you ordered the ARF? If so, does it come with a prop? The reason why I'm asking is because my kit doesn't have the folding prop included in the parts bag. I have the cone and the screws, but no folding prop...
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO