Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
101 Posts
Had my Calypso out for its second outing today in winds I knew better to fly in but we survived. Guessing around 15 kts w/gusts. Only one "bounce and go" in which I cut the power, plane hit at just shallow enough of an angle to bounce back up, and powered back on. Came in for a landing and no issues, just my damaged pride and grass stains on that well thought out skid plate. I did notice that one of the spinner screws was coming loose and will loc-tite everything.

Took off and flew for another 20 min+, great evening. Still need to add some shim to that horizontal stab, was not real pleased with penetration but winds were around 15 kts, sure its my lack of piloting skill as well. This thing tracks so straight with some fwd speed, still glad I bought this bird.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Good for you, Citationfxr.

I expected a little better penetration too but the combination of a low wing loading and thick airfoil work against it. However, once you get your tail incidence right you can move the battery forward to get better penetration at the expense of a little soaring ability. If you do fly it with a forward CG you will want to gradually reduce throttle or it will drop the nose rather sharply.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Calypso vs radian

Now that everyone has had a chance to try their calypso, would it be better to buy a calypso or a radian (the original -not the pro)? I have a dx6i and enjoy slow,relaxed,lazy flying. Only concern with the radian is landing in a smaller space.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Gizmonovak is offline Find More Posts by Gizmonovak
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:40 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
As with any aircraft, landing is a developed skill.

How much space do you have to land? Where are you flying that this is a concern.

And why do you think one needs less space than the other?

An acre is plenty to land either of them.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Thanks. I Have a football sized field that I use (fly micros there). Only concern is some of comments on the gliders floating on landing. Flaps, spoilerons, crow etc would help but i don't want to sacrifice flight quality (have heard the radian pro is not as gentle a flyer).
Gizmonovak is offline Find More Posts by Gizmonovak
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Jun 2007
52 Posts
Calypso vs Radian

"Everyone" has not yet had a chance to fly the Calypso. A large number of us are still awaiting delivery of the ARFs and RxR kits.
DLG fan is online now Find More Posts by DLG fan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG fan View Post
"Everyone" has not yet had a chance to fly the Calypso. A large number of us are still awaiting delivery of the ARFs and RxR kits.
Yea, verily.

As you have said, so it now is.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmonovak View Post
Thanks. I Have a football sized field that I use (fly micros there). Only concern is some of comments on the gliders floating on landing. Flaps, spoilerons, crow etc would help but i don't want to sacrifice flight quality (have heard the radian pro is not as gentle a flyer).
Flaps, flapperons, spoilerons, spoilers, all called glider path controls, definately help with percision landing. However our club e-glider contests are run mostly with Stock radians and Radian Pros and some are flying high end moldies. We are targeting a 10 meter tape for landing points. That would be a circle of about 65 feet. Not eveyone hits the tape regardless of whether they have glider path controls or not.

I would have no hesitation to fly a Radian from a football field, but I know how to land it. Since you have a motor, if your first approach is not what you want, just power up and go around, like the power pilots do. Eventually you won't need to do that.

Not pitching for or against the Calypso. I am sure it is a great glider. Just trying to help you understand gliders, landing and the options you have as an e-glider as opposed to a pure glider.

Don't feel you have have to have flaps or any of that other stuff. It helps for "precision landing" where a difference of a few inches will impact contests scores. But for sport flying where +/- 30 feet is good enough you are fine without them.

I love glider path controls, but I think people get too hung up on them sometimes.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Good for you, Citationfxr.

I expected a little better penetration too but the combination of a low wing loading and thick airfoil work against it. However, once you get your tail incidence right you can move the battery forward to get better penetration at the expense of a little soaring ability. If you do fly it with a forward CG you will want to gradually reduce throttle or it will drop the nose rather sharply.
Good point regarding reducing power gradually, I can honestly say I was trying to apply it gradually (with decent results) but was most likely backing it off abruptly in my excitement. Something to improve on next time out!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Just as a follow on to aeajr's post:

The Calypso floats, and floats, and floats if one tries to dive it into a field. Flaps give one the ability to dive without picking up much speed, spoilerons allow one to pull the nose up and "harrier" it with a very low forward speed, and combining both as "crow" or "butterfly" allows very close control. However, all of those options require a radio with mixing functions and a higher work load that a newer pilot might allow to get ahead of them. Luckily there's a method of air braking that doesn't require a fancy radio, extra parts, or much experience.

One can simply add a very, very, tiny amount of throttle and the prop will act as a very effective airbrake. One doesn't want to add any thrust so you just hit enough throttle to kick the blades out and disengage the prop brake. Depending on how your throttle matches up with the ESC this should be well under 1/8 of your stick movement. This causes the prop to windmill and really slow down the plane. Just remember to shut the throttle again before touching the ground or you may damage the prop!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Good tip on using the prop to slow the glider. Works well!

For wind penetration there is ballast. On the Radian, Radian Pro and the Easy Glider this is done by slipping a steel rod into the wing rod. It sits right on the CG so balance is maintained. I would suspect the same could be done for the Calypso.

Even my high end gliders benefit from ballast. I load them up with sometimes 30% of the gliders normal weight.
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
One week from today the RxRs are supposed to arrive! It has been a long wait, and I am really wound up.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Ballast or not? It depends. Generally a more experienced pilot with a more sophisticated glider will prefer ballast on the CG. Often, however, it's preferable to move the CG forward just a bit, like 5mm or so, by simply moving the battery forward. Moving the CG forward will change elevator trim while adding ballast at the same CG will increase stall speed and tends to be a bit more complicated. I have not flown the Calypso enough to know which is better.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
622 Posts
arf is available, just ordered mine
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:51 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
My ARF is on its way! Its in Ohio now.

I have a motor or two to try in this plane. I bought the factory motor 4 months ago. If I have known what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it...$40.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO