HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
Has anyone installed flap servo's "flat" like the aileron's are mounted? Don't care so much for the surface mount shown in the instructions. Any interference problems with the "flat" mount, just wondering why they would do this.
My best guess, since I havent done the upgrade to flaps yet is that the wing pocket is already relieved for straight mount VS the laydown aileron mount. Since I am not too concerned with absolute drag reduction I am going to do the stock setup but with HS55 servos.

Tony
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,351 Posts
Since the straight surface mount has a smaller "footprint" it's a smple matter to enlarge the opening for a flush mount, I'm going to go this route after I pick up two HS-55's.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
Anyone else's motor or ESC overheat? My motor needs to be replaced (strange brushless rattling at high speeds), and that puny 18A ESC caused the wires to melt. I was only using 3 cell batteries. While I like the plane, the motor and ESC are junk. This may be my last flyzone plane. The build quality is just not there like Parkzone and other reputable dealers.
IIIHorseman is offline Find More Posts by IIIHorseman
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:18 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Are you flying as a glider or more cruising around like a park flyer? These planes are not designed for constant motor run, just assistance to gain height then glide. There are some air vents provided, may not be sufficient for more full time powered flight. I changed to a 30a ESC to be safe. Very common when stock offering is less.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Has anyone put spoilers on a Calypso?

There is a video on the internet showing how to do it to a Radian, and I don't see why a Calypso should be any different.
Himself is online now Find More Posts by Himself
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post
Has anyone put spoilers on a Calypso?

There is a video on the internet showing how to do it to a Radian, and I don't see why a Calypso should be any different.

The Calypso is a different beast compared to the Radian which does not have any ailerons. A simple lift reducing trick is to employ spoilerons which raises the ailerons to reduce the lift and increase drag. Adding spoilers would be just added weight.
To really slow it down you could also program "crow" or "butterfly" where the flaps are lowered and the ailerons are raised, naturally a good mixing radio is needed
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,875 Posts
Himself, do you mean spoilerons?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
No, I mean "real" spoilers, small hinged flaps mounted near the center of lift, which can be raised to disrupt the airflow over the wing.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
More like a parkflyer. I changed the ESC to a 25 amp and that helped things considerably, although I need to replace the motor because there is a short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
Are you flying as a glider or more cruising around like a park flyer? These planes are not designed for constant motor run, just assistance to gain height then glide. There are some air vents provided, may not be sufficient for more full time powered flight. I changed to a 30a ESC to be safe. Very common when stock offering is less.
IIIHorseman is offline Find More Posts by IIIHorseman
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,200 Posts
Hi, Himself.

You could certainly add spoilers but I don't see much of a need. I would think that the extra weight would be better spent on just adding the flaps with or without mixing in "spoilerons". Of course, the really easy way to brake in the air is to add just enough throttle to kick the prop blades out without any net thrust. With either spoilerons or using the prop as an airbrake I have found that one can bring the Calypso down like an elevator if there's any breeze at all.

If you really have your heart set on spoilers? HobbyKing has aluminum servoless spoilers that look really excellent (assuming they work!) and will probably try myself when I decide on my winter project. They also have plastic or aluminum ones that require servos but look a bit lighter. With any of them I think one could just cut a channel in the foam and epoxy them in which would probably add a bit of net stiffness.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ight_Pair.html
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Peter;

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have my heart set on spoilers, I was just curious. I have an RxR version on back order and I am very much looking forward to having it in hand.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
So frustrating, spent the afternoon working on the yard in beautiful weather, only to have bad weather move in and darkness coming when I have time to fly.

Question regarding lipos, I'm using the stock pack, its fully charged as of two hours ago, how long can I let it sit fully charged? Figure I can either run up the motor for a bit when it clears or try out the storage function on my Bantam. My weekdays are miserable (ie commuting, working, and NOT flying!!!), so it will sit for a week.

Sure hope everyone is having fun with their Calypsos!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,351 Posts
It's not a premium pack, a week or two wont hurt

So, I got hyped up about installing flaps, go to tower for the flap up-grade hardware, mainly for the control horns, Out of Stock, Late Oct......Anyone have a source?

http://www.espritmodel.com/calypso-f...nkage-set.aspx ...............Coming Soon!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
1,875 Posts
I bought mine from eBay....check it out*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,351 Posts
Only found by Goggle @ Wholesale Trains, 2.99 + 9.99 shipping......Don't Think So!

Anyone have a source, e-bay sellers sold-out.

Oh Hoot, probably just make the horns from 1/16 sheet ply.