HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:35 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Discussion
Electrifly Super Sportster EP

I decided to deviate from plan building for a change, and after much research settled on this little plane as an early birthday present to myself. It would seem to be recommended as a good second plane after a trainer, but a decent aerobat as well. As such, it should be a good replacement for my venerable foam stick as a regular club flyer, and should hopefully see me through my next rating or two.

So far its a well made plane, with very pleasing lines. Sure - not everything fits 100% absolutely perfectly, but then it is mass produced,and I have absolutely no complaints thus far.

The size is also good - easy to transport, but a little larger than my parkflyers. We'll see, but I hope to be able to fly it in the park as well.

So far its progressing most enjoyably. The reviews suggest it can be built in a night or two, and this is undoubtably correct, but I am taking a lttle time over some parts. After all, hopefully it will be flying for a couple of years, so an extra hour or two now can't do any harm In some areas I am also used to doing things a bit differently, and so my build order is also a little different.

Finished photos wil be posted when its all together, but it will probably only be flight ready later in the week.

01.08.2012 She's finished Just need a itle more lead to balance her, and it will be maiden time. The power seems outrageous too
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Last edited by owlsabie; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Owl:

Good luck with the build......remember to do some research on RC Groups for flight charactistics and such....it would have saved my P-40 the numerous nose jobs.
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Will do Sean!

Al
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:40 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Maiden

Well - we have survived the maiden. I fortunate to get to the field early enough that there was no one else there yet, and got a couple of flights in. All in all a very ploeasant aeroplane to fly, very responsive although not twitchy (despite the fact that I had no expo) and I only flew on low rates. I find her dificult to land, as she floats a bit, but I am sure I will come to grips with that.

Owl
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Al.

I find the foamies that I fly are the same way when I come in too slow - they flop over and smack into the ground. It is possible that the Sportster needs a little more speed when landing. Do you have enough runway to come in a little hotter?

Good luck on the landings. :
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:59 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
I have plenty of runway, and I think you are right that I must come in quicker, but time will tell
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
I am learning with my new FW that you need more power. With the older nitro planes the motors were so heavy that coming in dead stick was not a problem but the electrics are so light they flop to the ground because they loose so much air speed without the aid of the motor.

My P-38 came in hard because the battery went out and I tried to bring it around. That was a big no no and it hit hard. The good news is it will go right back together.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Sorry to hear about the P38 But I'm glad it can be fixed! If I go flying this weekend I will definatelt try your advice out - but the sportster is fairly heavy, this is not the foam one But it is very different from landing an old timer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
No worries about the P-38. All glued up and ready to fly again. :

Another trick is to dip the nose a little bit the air speed from the dive might help to keep the plane stable.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:10 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Got to fly the sportster again today. It went well, although I am still a bit nervous with this one. The take off wasn't the best, I'm not quite sure why - but at least it tracks straighter now that I have adjusted the tail wheel. I just did a couple of circuits, and landed.

Now that I have rembered to program in a little expo, she flies nice and smoothly. The landing also went better. I kept some power on, kept the nose down and she settled down with only a small bounce.

All in all fun
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:41 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Owl.

Sounds like a successful flight to me. New airplanes are always nerve racking because their tendencies are so different than the others we fly. Even within the same type ( e.g. Scale) you think they fly similar. No way.

Hope you get to fly this weekend. I am taking the FW and P-38 out Sunday.

Sean
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:12 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Hey there Sean - no flying today, weather miserable. So I'll do some building instead. You are right though - some people can fly anything, but I find it takes a while to get comfortable with a new plane. At least I know that I can fly it, and must now just relax and enjoy her

Good luck with the war birds!!! I'm sure they wil behave themselves today
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Owl.

It does make it exciting as well. The thrill of a new plane and the unexpected really peaks the pilots abilities. True there are some standard hand movements but you have to be very alert.

The FW flew great. Lost it in the sun and good thing my flying buddy was there. He told me where it was and the attitude of the plane. Needless to say it was inverted and coming towards me. As usual G-d was at my fingertips and was able to recover it. Scary!!!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Sean - that is scary, so glad you got her back
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts