SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
210 Posts
Discussion
Vac Bagging - how long to keep pressure on?

Hi

Noob- Just venturing into vac-bagging, and I have a simple question: How long is it neccessary to keep the pressure on when vacuum bagging fibreglass onto pre-shaped foam wing cores?

I appreciate that when making (for instance) skateboard decks from layers of rigid flat laminate, where you're bending it into a moulded shape it would be neccessary to keep the pressure on until the glues are fully cured to hold the laminate in the new shape.

However is this neccessary when pressing flexible glass to the shape of the wing? Presumably the vac-bagging here is more to squeeze excess resin out of the laminate and produce a uniform smooth surface.

Is it critical to keep the vacuum applied right through the final cure?

Thanks, G
geoffers0_0 is offline Find More Posts by geoffers0_0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,475 Posts
Yes
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
The "final cure" can take up to 30 days (unless you use heat). Typically, it's only necessary to apply vacuum until the resin has set. The composite laminate at this point will take on a memory. The resin set point varies from resin to resin and is also dependent upon the temperature. Most resins will set within 12 hours. Some slow hardener combinations can take over 30 hours to set at 72*F. If you remove the Mylars at this set point the fabric pattern will print through to the part surface. You don't want to remove the Mylars until the resin has progressed much further in the cure (4 days at room temp - or use heat).
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
... If you remove the Mylars at this set point the fabric pattern will print through to the part surface. You don't want to remove the Mylars until the resin has progressed much further in the cure (4 days at room temp - or use heat).
Do I understand this correctly, if we remove the mylar before about 4 days at room temp, the fg cloth pattern will print through to the surface? So we need to keep it under vacuum with the mylars on for at least 4 days (at room temp)?

I thought that once the resin had set ~24hrs then that was it and the mylars could come off and nothing would change except for the final 10% or so of hardening which could take days-weeks.
Bosk is offline Find More Posts by Bosk
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
You only need to keep the vacuum on until the resin has set (12-30 hours). If you want the best surface finish you shouldn't take the Mylars off for several more days. Do a test. Peel half the mylar off after set and then peel the rest after 4 days. The surface finish difference will be quite obvious.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
Australia
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Hmm... Thanks for that, I have always keen to get the mylars off after about 24 hours and was never 100% happy with end product. Will give it try.

Cheers,
.adrian
al010964 is offline Find More Posts by al010964