SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
If your landing is "imperfect," then a mod to the strengthen the landing support is a must. I modified the landing support on my 3dhs EPP and after numerous bad harrier landings on concrete, the landing support is holding up very well. Simple mod and should take no longer than 15 minutes plus a few hours for the glue to set.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
My man groovejet.. Always keeping us in the loop.. Awesome man need to get one of these pal. I hope all is well with you..
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined May 2004
335 Posts
Do any of these models seem to perform better than the other. i am in the market for this size of a foamie as i have all the electronics sitting in a desk not being used? Thanks Jayme
skibumsd is offline Find More Posts by skibumsd
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
If your landing is "imperfect," then a mod to the strengthen the landing support is a must. I modified the landing support on my 3dhs EPP and after numerous bad harrier landings on concrete, the landing support is holding up very well. Simple mod and should take no longer than 15 minutes plus a few hours for the glue to set.

Hey chopper62,

Thanks for your feedback. Nac and I plan to address this issue by describing the way that we do it (polyurethane glue) and the way that some other guys do it (a cross-brace on the landing gear legs to stop them spreading inside the landing gear wood slot). I reckon that we are still a few days away from getting around to this part of the thread.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
My man groovejet.. Always keeping us in the loop.. Awesome man need to get one of these pal. I hope all is well with you..

Hey Mark, it's good to see that you found this thread. Knowing how many planes you have/had the last time we chatted, I simply can't believe that you haven't tried on of these sorts of planes yet! They totally rock .

So, which one will it be for you? One of the 3DHS offerings? Or perhaps one of the new Winner's Model Extras with airfoiled tail surfaces? Hmmmm......
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumsd View Post
Do any of these models seem to perform better than the other. i am in the market for this size of a foamie as i have all the electronics sitting in a desk not being used? Thanks Jayme
All of these planes that Nac and I have flown have their own distinct personalities. We have flown most of them, but not all of them. We plan to have a post dedicated to discussing the different characteristics of each airframe. Of the ones that I have tried, they are all very good and the right plane for you will depend on the characeristics that you are looking for. I expected that it will be a week or so before we start working on a post to describe thier differences, and at that point in time we will not have had an opportunity to try all of the planes. Stay tuned for more info.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:47 AM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Thanks Bleary. Will do. Do you have any figures for that motor, like amps, thrust etc?
Will check tomorrow with ampmeter when I get home from the mine mate,from memory it is in the high 40's on a 13x6.5 with good lipos.
I also have a 800kv of the same motor which I will check also.
They are a reasonable budget option if you can limit full throttle runs.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Will check tomorrow with ampmeter when I get home from the mine mate,from memory it is in the high 40's on a 13x6.5 with good lipos.
I also have a 800kv of the same motor which I will check also.
They are a reasonable budget option if you can limit full throttle runs.
Thanks Bleary.

This is how Nac and I static test our motors:

1. We hook up an Eagletree to give us volts and amps.
2. we punch full throttle and hold it here for 30 seconds (unless the motor is over-prop'ed and won't like that)
3. we look at the Eagletree plot for the point when the battery voltage stabilises and the amps are stable too. i.e. the steady state that that motor, prop and battery can maintain. In other words, the voltage holds steady and the amps stay constant for a fair length of time right until we stop the test after about 30 seconds. This gives us realistic figures that we can reliably compare with various motors, props and lipos. I really hate seeing peak or semi-peak figures posted, as they are meaningless to me, apart from making sure the ESC peak rating seems sufficient.
Last edited by groovejet; Jun 28, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:25 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Nice work Groovejet/Nac. Given that you have had no experience with a motrofly motor, you guys are more than welcome to have a go on mine if you like, so you can state your thoughts on the motor. My MXS is set up with a DM2815-950, 50A CC Ice lite, 13x6.5 APC and HS65MG on 6v all around.
Hi xzuberance,

Thanks for your generous offer. We are currently focussed on getting some initial info into each section of this thread, so we'll see how we go once that is taken care of. We'd like this thread to be useful to people all around the world, so getting some info on popular motor brands like Motrolfly and Omega is part of that plan.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:16 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,775 Posts
Im running both my MXS and EXTRA on the standard 1000kv motor with a 13X6.5 apc.I will try and get you some figures mate i have been happy with these motors sofar.

Shane
r/c junkie is online now Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
A bad harrier landing resulted in the shear-off of the front of my 3dhs 48 EPP and the breaking of the motor mount in perfect half. Instead of paying $6.99 for a new motor mount plus $10.50 for UPS ground shipping to California (why not use USPS $5 if it fits it gets shipped 3dhs?), I'm going to cut a new motor mount from a template that I've got. I'll take pictures of the process just in case of future interests.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Hi xzuberance,

Thanks for your generous offer. We are currently focussed on getting some initial info into each section of this thread, so we'll see how we go once that is taken care of. We'd like this thread to be useful to people all around the world, so getting some info on popular motor brands like Motrolfly and Omega is part of that plan.
No worries Groove. Whenever you're ready to write about a motrolfly and need first hand experience with one mine is available. Also feel free to ask on amps and watts I'm getting though just bear in mind I only have a watt meter and can only give you the peak draws. I can't say what the draw is when it settles. Cheers
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Hey Mark, it's good to see that you found this thread. Knowing how many planes you have/had the last time we chatted, I simply can't believe that you haven't tried on of these sorts of planes yet! They totally rock .

So, which one will it be for you? One of the 3DHS offerings? Or perhaps one of the new Winner's Model Extras with airfoiled tail surfaces? Hmmmm......
Hahah.. I have downsized a bunch... The copperheads are all gone, my twisted collection is sold (awesome birds) , I do have a HK yak 1096mm which is fantastic. But I am very very interested in one of these.. I am going for the winners model extra..blue/white which is very similar to a Extreme flight scheme.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:40 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,885 Posts
subscribble
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:41 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
A bad harrier landing resulted in the shear-off of the front of my 3dhs 48 EPP and the breaking of the motor mount in perfect half. Instead of paying $6.99 for a new motor mount plus $10.50 for UPS ground shipping to California (why not use USPS $5 if it fits it gets shipped 3dhs?), I'm going to cut a new motor mount from a template that I've got. I'll take pictures of the process just in case of future interests.
The default shipping is UPS you can select the USPS shipping as an option in the drop down menu during checkout. I need to make up a new motormount for mine as well since they are not in stock. Nosed it in and the firewall totally delaminated, broke some of the lite ply formers. Got most of it repaired just need to cut out a new mount. From what I hear they fly better with a little added weight (from repairs) in the nose anyway.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34