Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:31 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Cool
Testing the Hawk F5B

Hi everybody,

After a hard starting (my receiver failed and the plane crashed first flight after two seconds of flight) here you have an onboard video o my Hawk F5B (second flight).

Hawk F5B (4 min 46 sec)

This is my setup:

- Kontronik KPG 5,2:1 with flange adaptor
- Himodel 3660 3065kv inrunner motor
- Redbrick 200A OPTO controller
- BEC from HK with a little 3S 450mAh.
- Sky Lipo 2.2A 40C 5S
- RFM 16x17 slim propeller
- RFM spinner

1.6 kg., 158A.

I configured the telemetry system for my Multiplex Cockpit because I was a little unsecure about how much it would sail and flight times. 19.4 volts after the flight. Have to sail more...

I would like to thank specially to Arcteryxxx for his kindness answering all my neverending questions..., and of course other people from this forum that helped me too to get the best from this "beast".

How can I describe our faces watching the plane flying in the flying field....

Thanks.
skybattle is offline Find More Posts by skybattle
Last edited by skybattle; Jun 25, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,349 Posts
Cool!
I have a few remarks:
Which spinner do you use? Seems like you need a longer middle piece for the prop to fold properly.
It also seems like you fly long bursts of power and also use partial throttle extensively. Please don't do that. Run 4sec bursts max and treat you throttle like 100% or 0%, to keep you setup happy in the hot Spanish skies
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Hi!

This is the spinner I am using:

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=56782

I was aware after uploading the picture that it wasn't the final "version" of spinner setting. There was too much angle and I modified it, so now the propeller is closer to the fuse.

Yes, I am learning to fly in this way. My big concern was about stalling in turns. So you can see I am specially careful giving throttle in that moment. But in this second flight I have seen it doesn't tend to stall easily (even with low speed during landing).

I thought the crash in first flight was due to a stall. Now I am sure it was because my receiver failed (the ESC was emitting a beep-beep quite suspicious when I recovered the plane), but I am a bit conditioned by that .

Note taken. Exhausting bursts!!

Of course, any more advice for the flight will be listened!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:58 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,349 Posts
The Hawk is a notorious tip-staller if you fly with CG too far back. With CG at 65-68mm you can fly quite slow turns in a safe manner.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:38 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
I just killed mine a week ago with 70mm CoG. It went like a boomerang on slowish turn. I kind of doubt if 2mm forward would have saved it but anyway. The Lindinger manual stated 70-75mm which I think should be corrected.

Bottom line is keep the speed up. Slow turns at your own risk. When it stops whistling, speed up or it will bite hard.

When landing with spoilers up it was like on rails. Handled very nicely and slowed down without any events.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:46 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,349 Posts
Those 2mm makes all the difference in the world!
Sorry for your loss.....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:52 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Mine is at 65 mm. I was a bit surprised because in the Staufenbiel manual says is at 60 mm., and in the Wilco's one is at 65-70 mm. I know they are exactly the same plane, so... When this CG I think the Hawk is less tip-staller than even the Multiplex Blizzard.

Sorry for your crash, B12. You have spare parts in Staufenbiel.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:06 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybattle View Post
You have spare parts in Staufenbiel.
By quick search I did not find any spares for the Hawk. The fuselage is easy to fix but the wing is badly cracked in several places. The V-Max eco was on sale 175€ shipped on Lindinger last fall so no huge loss but I kind of liked it as long as it lasted. Still learning to fly it and it got a total of one hour of flight time before the crash.

When and if it will fly again, I will use nylon screws for the wing.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:46 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
You have to send them an e-mail asking for the spare part. I think the fuse price is 69 Euros plus shipping (I repaired mine finally). Not know the wing price.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,349 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I screwed up and flew with a battery that was loose i the fuselage. I had removed the velcro for using it in another model and forgot to put on a new one. The battery shifted backwards during flight and this made the last minute a very interesting bronco ride. Landed safely but it was luck that saved my seating apparatus...
Hawk tip stall (0 min 11 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Staufenbiel does not have the spare wing since it would be too expensive compared to the kit price. I also sent an inquiry for Lindinger. We'll see.

"Full fiberglass" wing my ass. It is wooden spar and balsa with paper thin glass surface. Very hard to repair neatly since the very skin is the load bearing structure.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:46 AM
Joined Dec 2004
758 Posts
That's the normal way to build a full-fiberglass wing. The balsa is used to create a sandwhich, contruction, without it the wing would be much heavier for the same stiffness.
Rakatenwurm,Surprise and Avionic have the same type of construction, but with more carbon than the Hawk.
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:52 AM
plane destroyer
Spain, Valencia, Elche
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
That's why people say it is an affordable hotliner .

The good thing is the wing resists strong efforts. Better not looking inside .
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:20 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
That's the normal way to build a full-fiberglass wing. The balsa is used to create a sandwhich, contruction, without it the wing would be much heavier for the same stiffness.
Rakatenwurm,Surprise and Avionic have the same type of construction, but with more carbon than the Hawk.
You live and learn

The construction itself is sound like you discribed but the repair is...Just ranting because I feel a bit frustrated if the saga is over and I cannot get a new wing anywhere for at least semi-decent price. I spent quite a bit of time and effort to the fuselage stiffening, making the battery hatch and the bulb for outrunner wires. It turned out pretty neat and usefull. The fuselage is snapped at the root of the fin but otherwise intact. Easy to repair.

Edit:
On the recheck the wing starts to look repairable. It is still in one piece and it is basically straight. The main spar seems to be ok. The skin is cracked in several places. The hinges also seem to be ok. I just have to plan the repair very carefully and build it inside out as much as possible in several stages. Then some body filler and repaint. Maybe Most likely it will fly again some day.
Last edited by B12; Jun 26, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
I got a reply from Lindinger. They do not have a wing in stock but they can order one. It is 120-130. That makes it half the kit price of 240

Lets see, 120 wing + 69 fuse (saw one somewhere) leaves 50 for the elevator and the small parts like firewall, horns etc included in the kit. Sounds like pretty much in line. What do you folks think?