HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, Felton
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Yippee!
Maiden flight World Models P-51 EP 40

A few weeks ago I traded fellow user "CryHavoc" for a nice World Models P-51 in ARF condition.

The Plane: http://rcworldofplanes.net/prodView.asp?idproduct=1828

I bought the rest of the stuff I needed and built it up with:

- Turnigy 14g MG servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22929

- Turnigy D3548/6 790KV Brushless Outrunner Motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18236

- TGS Sport 11x8.5E Precision propeller: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7958

- HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11430

- FrSky 2 way 8ch receiver w/ telemetry. Voltage and RSSI send to a little LCD on my transmitter. No battery level guess work. This is no foamie so I can't ditch it in the grass http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d8...rssi-cppm.html

I can't say enough about how well this thing flys. Here's a video of the maiden sans the landing. It's been on one more flight since and is just perfect in the air. If anyone is thinking of buying/building one, I can recommend the setup. Climb out is... You'll see.

World Models P-51 EP 40 Maiden Flight (2 min 1 sec)

Thanks RCGroups! I have this plane because this forum exists.
vespizzari is offline Find More Posts by vespizzari
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
good setup...man that thing will get up in a hurry !!!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Thanks KC. Flew it again this morning. Uneventful once again. This is my first balsa airplane and I really get the appeal. It will fly much more slowly then I think it should be able to, so I need to practice landings more. I have on two occasions now landed much faster then is purely necessary. All in all a really nice flyer.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:37 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,043 Posts
I'm still scared of balsa, got to give ya credit. Good job even bringing it home with no damage. I can fly well, i just think i'd be nervous as a cat.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Good job vespizzari !!!!! How are the landings? You thought you had too much speed? A good, fairly fast, wheel landing is a good landing. You take the stall out of the equation that way. Too slow and .....

So now you know the secret ..... balsa is as easy, or easier, to fly than foam. It seems strange when you say it, but it does "feel" different, doesn't it?

Tell us (me) more about your landings, and remember that a bit of speed is not a bad thing. Too much isn't very good either. It is something to work on, a good landing every time is a gooooood thing!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,440 Posts
I've ditched some balsa models from heights that you would think would leave a pile of toothpicks only to get to the model and find I can repair it at the field with some CA. I've aurgered foam at near the same altitude and had it left little more than packing peanuts.

They can surprise you.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
The landings have been fine really. Just fast and using a bunch of runway. I can fly with reasonable control at altitude much more slowly than I have been willing to try close to the ground until I know the stall behavior better. It tracks and steers well on the ground though
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Nice job. I had that plane a couple years ago, and it was a great flyer. One warning about this and most P-51's, you must keep the airspeed up on landing or it will drop a wing. As you buddy suggested, explore stall tendencies way up in air, so you'll know what to expect.

You don't mention the retracts, but they work great. Many people have difficulty getting them to lock in the down position for landing and they collapse on landings; but that is a very easy adjustment. One way to check if they are locked is, once down, try gently pushing on outside of each gear, in the direction of rectracting. If you hear the servo start to buzz, that means it is not locked. If in a properly locked position, the retract mechanism will bear the weight, not the servo; and they will break out of the wing before they collapse.

I've had a few of WM's smaller planes with retracts, and they are equally well done.

Hope this helps.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes