Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Discussion
Keycam 808(16 ) Fly at your own risk: How to replace your lens Imager

Hardely hearing one complaint, and all the talk is good at the keycam threads? Since we are in the Aerial Photography Section. I thought I post it here.

The Keycam 808 is a Fly at your own Risk Camera. The 808's are a Key fob for many types of uses, even aerial. Sounds like a Oximoron statement?

The most ideal conditions to fly the Keycam 808s would be on a Craft, indoors, once introduced outside and at locations that have more types of conditions than others are going to find that in due time, fading, and video degrading? Best advice fly it Lens facing rear.

The lens glass will wear down in time, You may try to clean with the proper solutions, and material, and only to find using the wrong tools, like mentioned over at the threads. Using a toothpick or type of object wrapping a soft tissue , or swab. May clean, the lens glass and debrea off. Over due time you'll find yourself replacing again the lens glass?

I have made this videounconventional way, or not, to show all, how simple it is to exchange the lens and its results. My Cameras were Purchased the same day, one a hat cam, the other designated a Craft cam. Since I ran into a snafu, bad battery, outdated firmware, currupted Bios, etc.

I have come to that conclusion it either had to be the camera's lens or a bad camera?

WIth the video made and after all has worked out perfectly, the lens imager replacement was the Key.

I also recommend you Load up the latest Firmware, Decide if Firmware 25, or 27 is for you?

Positive New Lens is firmware 25.

On that Note any questions feel free to ask. We are a free site, and If I helped one person out the video says it all. And I only takes onecompliment at the site to say it all.

This is an Keycam 808 #16 only repair I show. Video is intended to show the simplicity of a replacement, If you think you can do it better Post away and I be happy to comment.

Long time followers know my routine, and if you are new then remember

You are responsable for your actions, and Be warned to take proper steps, Demostrations are of how "I WENT ABOUT MY REPAIR" thank you

Correct way to do it

Keycam 808 ver 1 & 2 Lens image repair (4 min 45 sec)

Incorrect way to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_4J...ature=youtu.be
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Jul 09, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
FYI, what you replaced was the entire imager, not just the lens.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Not many know about the Iens Imager, or about wear of the actual glass lens? I added and corrected the video thank you
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I'm still surprised you were able to get the entire imager for $10, a link to the store might be nice since I just bought a couple #16 and may get a couple #18 cameras.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
How much do they go for? Because maybe it is the connection I had. It's noted in my video.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,458 Posts
Thanks for the useful video. If you can get a whole new Camera for $10, why bother fixing it? I wonder what I am missing.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Thanks for the useful video. If you can get a whole new Camera for $10, why bother fixing it? I wonder what I am missing.
Thank you.

Can you buy a whole. We Keycam 808 #16 for ten dollars?

Possably a #3
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,458 Posts
ok, if you spend $40 on a new one than it makes sense...
I can't identify the one I just got exactly (yet) since its time stamp has been altered to say 2012 but based on the specs I suspect it is #3, #6 or #9 (720x480 352Kbs audio).

How do you know in advance which one you get or it is a matter of being lucky?
Is the ebay seller you mentioned guarantee which 808 variant he is selling?

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Sorry. It it is not a grab bag purchase. You are the one in decision of your purchase ?

Quite understandable a ?5.00 cam is a toss away. Maybe the professionals with the higher degree can help out about that info.

My video an experience is general. Those who been following me will tell you I do things unconventional an in my unique way why I may be interesting or not
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,855 Posts
Quote:
ok, if you spend $40 on a new one than it makes sense...
I can't identify the one I just got exactly (yet) since its time stamp has been altered to say 2012 but based on the specs I suspect it is #3, #6 or #9 (720x480 352Kbs audio).

How do you know in advance which one you get or it is a matter of being lucky?
Is the ebay seller you mentioned guarantee which 808 variant he is selling?

Thanks!
To identify which #808 you have check the pictures at this site.....http://chucklohr.com/808/.

You may be able to identify the camera by the date stamp or the pcb inside which would require the camera case to be opened.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,458 Posts
yep, have this site. It is a must have for 808 owners.
The only thing is, my camera came with a 2012 time stamp (to which there is no corresponding type on the site). Either it is a new variant (which I doubt) or someone previously owned it and changed its time stamp. This is the 2nd one the seller sent me as the first one didn't work. Forgive me, but I don't want to "disturb" it and open it up.. Based on the specs it seems to be #3, #6 or #9.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
yep, have this site. It is a must have for 808 owners.
The only thing is, my camera came with a 2012 time stamp (to which there is no corresponding type on the site). Either it is a new variant (which I doubt) or someone previously owned it and changed its time stamp. This is the 2nd one the seller sent me as the first one didn't work. Forgive me, but I don't want to "disturb" it and open it up.. Based on the specs it seems to be #3, #6 or #9.
WIth not knowing of the Model you own, or got, that would be the first step?

Sellers may have Newer stock, it is not laid out on the shelf in a spicific order. Opening up thecam will be the last thing you want to do.
Some of the information you are asking may be in hte Keycam forums located in the first five posts.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Some update cameras are never perfect, Ichose not to attach today the cam but shoot wit the gopro hd hero2 and the hat cam method 808.

If shown in clip, notice the Sky BLUE, and Grey quite normal Light in the AM hour. Notice how the Plane is in focus, out focus quite normal overloading or forcing cam to work.

Remember one thing CCD compared with Cmos, that I am not I am just having a fun time flying. enjoy the update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLjH...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I now show a video that gets the job done. I heardsome argue that the1st video will brick the camera, would not bricking be due to fooling around with the controls, firmware, rather the actual replacement of a device, ah yes you have to remove a battery so no juices flow. Hope you can not be so picky and just see howsimple it is using some of the right tools.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
This topic may oneday be very handy to some, if and when they are ready to swap out that 9.00 new lens Hitting the market in a weeks time