SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
4 blade props

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Laddie Mikulasko? Or where I can obtain 4 bladed small props; I need about 5 or 6 incher for a mini-Skyraider by Nitro Planes. The 3 blade just doesn't look right, as I grew up watching the real things at North Island Naval Air Station. Nitro Planes does not even have available the original 3 blade props and scale hub. Laddie was featured in M.A.N. with a DO-X flying boat. It has 10 motors and the 4 blade props look about the size I need. something a bit too large I could cut down, but I can't find anything 4 blade anywhere less than 9 inches (APC). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have flown this plane successfully just one time with a Master Air Screw 3 blade, cut down 1/2", but I have a mental block now; it just doesn't look right and I just can't bring myself to fly it again. Thank you
ronhartigan is offline Find More Posts by ronhartigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,706 Posts
Vario has the hub and prop blades your looking for in 3 and 4 blade. you can adjust each hubs pitch and type blade to suit your need.......hope this helps? http://www.eam.net/Varioprop/Vario%20Prop.htm
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:24 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,867 Posts
You could make your own by cutting the back side of the hub off one prop and the front half of the hub from another. The two are then joined with a half lap joint. Styrene props like GWS are easily solvent welded with MEK or Tenax plastic welder. This is how I made the prop on my little 18" span Skyraider.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,706 Posts
GWS makes a 4 blade for their Mustang, I have made a 4 blade with 2 slo fly props but it reminds me how we really improvise out of need . A friend showed up one day with baby stroller wheels on his avistar....and not the single wheel type, but the double It looked goofy, but worked well in tall grass ...... there was like 3 pounds in wheels
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhartigan View Post
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Laddie Mikulasko? Or where I can obtain 4 bladed small props; I need about 5 or 6 incher for a mini-Skyraider by Nitro Planes. The 3 blade just doesn't look right, as I grew up watching the real things at North Island Naval Air Station. Nitro Planes does not even have available the original 3 blade props and scale hub. Laddie was featured in M.A.N. with a DO-X flying boat. It has 10 motors and the 4 blade props look about the size I need. something a bit too large I could cut down, but I can't find anything 4 blade anywhere less than 9 inches (APC). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have flown this plane successfully just one time with a Master Air Screw 3 blade, cut down 1/2", but I have a mental block now; it just doesn't look right and I just can't bring myself to fly it again. Thank you
You can get 5.9x3 at this location on second page. The DoX has 12 motors. Good luck.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...eksiHb80-enLwQ
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thank you; I just had shoulder surgery so shouldn't be on keyboard. I won't be flying this AD-1 hotrod for the next few weeks anyway. Bug your suggestion sounds like what I'm looking for; thanks again
Ron
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
The original Nitro Planes survived my maiden flight; the plane barrel rolled on lift off; I just wasn't focused or ready for that. but no damage. Had another club member trim it out for me, then I took control; but in trying to avoid another plane I dove it into the dirt like an SBD-1 that 'ol ex-pres Bush flew. Prop broke and bent motor shaft. after months I finally found an industrial supply house, HUGE, and 3mm drill rod. Nitro has been out of the 3 blades and hubs forever; since my purchase last Fall.

So I got an 8" Master Airscrew 3 blade and cut off 1/2" of each tip. Then had our club safety officer, expert flyer, take it around for me and it flew fine. The next week I did a full flight by myself and nailed the landing. This little booger is much faster than I had planed, but I'll just have to keep it's little 30" span in close.

So I bought 2 Master Airscrew 6" 2 blade square-tipped props for the same idea we both had. I have a 3/8" end mill that would probably do an excellent job in my drill press, but can't find it. The industrial supply has the exact diameter end mill I want, but it's $25; yikes. Guess I'll have to get out the ol Craftsman router and give it a try. Thanks for your help. BTW; take a razor saw and hack off 1/8" from the tips; Scale Skyraiders had square tipped blades.
Ron
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thank you for your post. Yeah, you bring back memories. Back in 1978 in El Centro (the armpit of the world) when I first got into gas RC (there WERE no electrics) I kit built a balsa, scale, Cessna 180. A flyer out at the Holtville airstrip told me I would be crazy to try to learn to fly RC on such a nice plane, and donated to me a used .35 size standard trainer. I put in my own gear and got many flights out of that thing before going on to another new trainer.

Many years later, living in Vista Calif and recently divorced I had to get rid of som estuff. I took everything out of the trainer, fixed the control surfaces all neutral, and added weight to the motor mount to balance the C.G. perfectly. I took that sucker to the cliffs of Carlsbad on the ocean one after noon, with a light breeze. I stood on the edge of the cliff with the updraft and gave a gentle toss to the plane; fully expecting it to spiral around 180 and smash into the cliffs for eternity. Damn! That thing flew absolutely perfectly straight in a perfect, perfect glide slope. It went a couple of hundred yards to where the 4' waves were breaking. A few seconds later and it would have made a Sullenberger landing; but alas, it clipped the top of a breaker and went down like the Titanic; slowly, but surely. One of the coolest things I ever saw.
Thanks for your comments
Ron