HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Really? Majority in the house and a super majority in the senate does not equal to control?

Those blue dogs were what gave you guys controll .... It amazes me .... Both parties rely on moderates to gain majority but are quick to blame them when things go wrong.
Obviously it doesn't, or the dems would have passed everything the president put forward in the legislator ie complete control as you suggest dispite repub opposition. So it's clear that a majority or supper majority are no guarantee of party legislation. One or two votes against are enough to end any such thought of your supposed majority vote/ rule.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,203 Posts
I don't see the valid comparison between pointing out that Senator Smoot was a Mormon (He was, wasn't he?), and saying that President Obama is a Muslim, when, in fact, he is not.

What kind of Congress did President Hoover have to deal with?
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I don't see the valid comparison between pointing out that Senator Smoot was a Mormon (He was, wasn't he?), and saying that President Obama is a Muslim, when, in fact, he is not.

Someone's religion only matters if;

1) it heavily influences their policy-making, or

2) the person highlighting it is a bigot.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post

The 71st Congress (1929-31) was predominantly Republican - House 267(R) 163(D) and Senate 56(R) 39(D).

The 72nd Congress (1931-33) was pretty even - House 216(R) 218(D) and Senate 47(R) 48(D).
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Really? Majority in the house and a super majority in the senate does not equal to control?
The Democrats didn't really have a "super majority" in the Senate. Kennedy had been battling terminal cancer since May, 2008 and was unable to participate in his Senate duties. He attended Obama's inauguration but suffered a seizure later in the day and died in August of that year. Franken wasn't seated until July 7, 2009.

Really...
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
PIpemajor is not the only one. The President got handed a crap sandwich and is just a man trying to do his best.
Correction: He is just a man taking advantage of the situation to further his agenda. It took him 2 years to start to focus on jobs and the economy. That is why he deserves to lose this election.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492