HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
958 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Free Radian Tune-Up Clinic Video

After many requests, I've made a detailed video showing how to make my major tuning modifications to a Radian to make it fly like a real sailplane.

This video is now free for all to view.

I published a short tutorial on these tuning changes on my blog the Glide Fast Journal about 6 months ago and it was by far the most searched article on the site. Read the article here, its on the front page of the blog: http://glidefast.typepad.com

This 30 minute video covers changes to the CG and tail decalage angles which will greatly help the handling and glide ratio of both the Radian and Radian Pro. I also show other modifications I made to my plane for better glide, increased climb under power, and increase reliability.

I also show how to make a flaperon set up for the basic Radian which gives it camber changing and landing flaps, changes that really transformed this foam ball into a decent glider.

As a side note, I just won day 2 of the big Polecat ALES contest with the plane shown in the video, flying against good pilots with high performance models.

Please support this and future free videos by visiting our website at radiocabonart.com and purchasing one of our seventeen high quality training DVDs covering the skills of plane building, tuning, radio programing, thermal flying, electrics, handlaunch and contest flying.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/

My new Electric Clinic 2 DVD is now in production and I'm now taking pre-orders. Those who support the project with a pre-order will get a free entertainment DVD of your choice and a special freebie gift. You can also get both Electric Clinics together for only $39.95, and you'll still get the free DVD and bonus gift. Visit the Electric Clinic 2 web page for complete details on the new training DVD's content and to place your order. Paypal and Visa/MC accepted.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/esc2/

Enjoy the video!

Paul Naton
Radio Carbon Art Productions
http://radiocarbonart.com/
http://glidefast.typepad.com/

Parkzone RADIAN Modification Clinic.mp4 (31 min 53 sec)
Paul Naton is offline Find More Posts by Paul Naton
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Thanks so much for the video!
I will look and see if you have any videos for rank beginers
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Steve
USA, PA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2009
439 Posts
Thanks for the video. Also thank you for the videos you gave for the pilot raffle at The Soaring Circuits , Polecat contest
saddlesore is offline Find More Posts by saddlesore
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2010
627 Posts
Thanks for another great video, Paul! I have both of your DVD's on thermal soaring ( High Performance Thermal Soaring and the one that teaches about thermals and their causes) and recommend them highly.

I was wondering what glue you use on Z- foam? I've used CA on Multiplex products with fantastic results, but CA doesn't work nearly as well on Parkzone's foam. Some guys recommend epoxy, others use gorilla glue. Just curious what you have found to work best.

Thanks

Cliff
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
958 Posts
Glad you guys liked the video. It started out as a 10 minute shorty, but there was more info to share.

Radio Carbon Art tries to help as many contests as possible with raffle/giveaways though we can't help everyone every year.

Best glues are epoxy (slow kind) and Gorilla Glue, which I am now a big fan of. You just have to make sure you use it in thin layers as it expands a lot, a characteristic that makes it work well with foam. Only bad thing about GG is that its so nasty and sticky its hard to get off your hands and anything it touches.

Paul Naton
Radio Carbon Art Productions
http://radiocarbonart.com/
http://glidefast.typepad.com/
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Thank you Paul!

wow what a great informative video (as usual!) Paul. Thanks for all the tips. I've got a couple of Radian Pro's so I've changed the decalage angle (up 5mm on the stab LE) and moved the CG back to 3 1/2"... now to wait for the weather for a test flight...

Interested to hear what you think regarding taping of the wings on the Raidan Pro? Apparently Parkzone have added two extra fiberglass spines (spars) to the Pro's wings, making it three in total to the Radians single spar (apart from the CF spar tube of course). The wing loading is already a bunch higher on the Pro compared to the standard Radian. So, my long winded question is - do you really see any value in adding the tape to the wings, as far as adding extra weight is concerned? I also have the standard Radian and the foam moulding seems a lot smoother on the Pro compared to the standard Radian...

Sorry - that was a long explaination for a simple question
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Lewisburg, PA
Joined Apr 2002
958 Posts
I think the tape may not benefit the Pro as much. The wing is stiff enough as is.

There might be some aero advantage in smoothing the LE area, and if you like to fly into posts and cactus, the tape will help prevent damage.

Let us know how the trim changes work for you.

Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Will-do Paul. Weather permitting I'll head out this arvo for a test flight. Gonna see if my LHS can get some 11x8 blades with the required 4mm (?) spacing to fit the Radian spinner...

I've also followed your lead and balanced the model @ 3 1/2" with a 800mAH 3s Turnigy battery. My local flying club has a ALES comp this weekend which I'm gonna give the Radian Pro a try out in to see how I go. My first comp so low expectations on placing but high expectations on fun!

Very excited to see the difference these tweaks have made...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:56 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Well I went out for a brief test flight this afternoon - in somewhat windy conditions... a steady 16 mph gusting to 22 - not a good afternoon for it but anyway - what the heck.

Was m.u.c.h. more pitch sensitive, the thing was bobbing, ducking and weaving all over the sky. Sure was fun though lol. I did find that I had no penetration into the wind however, whereas before it would happily handle this kind of weather. Now it will more or less just sit there and hover when pointed directly into the wind.

The positive stability on the pitch axis (is that what you call it?) is gone totally - dip the nose and it just keeps coming down and gaining speed. Likewise, I actually had to hold a little "up" elevator for the climb-out otherwise it would just keep gaining speed without climbing - that took me by surprise.

To sum it up it seems much more suited to calmer conditions now. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on a calm sunny afternoon. If it is still misbehaving I think I might try removing a little bit of weight from the tail (I used fishing sinkers about the same size as lead-shot so it should be easy to remove a small amount at a time) and perhaps reduce the decalage angle back to 4mm up on the stab LE.

Then again, maybe the Radian Pro wasn't misbehaving at all; rather I was so used to the way it flew "out of the box" that it will just take a little while to re-adjust to its new flight characteristics? It's gonna be fun to try out either way.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Great Video

I have the Radian Pro. Where do you think the CG should be. Thanks
mshoe is offline Find More Posts by mshoe
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
I haven't watched this video yet, but guys I can tell ya, Paul makes some AWESOME DVDs. I've got several of his DVDs from Handlaunch Clinics to Scale Aerotowing and more. They're all very well-done and great entertainment in addition to great learning tools. He runs some great deals too. Keep up the good work, Paul!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshoe View Post
I have the Radian Pro. Where do you think the CG should be. Thanks
I tried moving the CG back to 3 1/2" behind the wing LE, I think that's a little too far back for the Radian Pro. I'm going to try setting mine to 3 1/4" and see how that goes. FWIW.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
I just watched the video. Outstanding job on the mods, Paul. One of these days I'll tear into mine. I hate to mess with it now since I've had such good flying with it so far. I know...it can be better.

Oh, and way to go on the Polecat ALES win. Show them guys how well a chunk of foam can fly!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member