HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
78 Posts
Hello, now very close to a real flight, I made all tests on ground (without props) which were sucessfull and then made tests with props and holding copter in hands.
It seems to stabilize well, but it begins to wobble as soon as I loosen my hands so it must carry its own weight, I tested this on a throttle position that is more or less hovering I guess.
I have mounted the AIOP on 4 rubber vibration dampeners.
Any idea what can be wrong ? I went to this troubleshooting guide, but nothing of these things seems to be my case:
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/...n_I_try_to_tak

I have the feeling as if my quad is too heavy, as the wobbling only begins as soon as I loosen my hands, as I described before.
The quad is a F450 Chinese from Hking and it has soft GWS props (not reinforced) 10x47 and a 4S 5000mAh Lipo and its weight is 1,6kg.

Please help, I am a total newbie on multicopters and AIOP...
DanielCV is offline Find More Posts by DanielCV
Last edited by DanielCV; Aug 20, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
GPS fix for MultiWii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucamaxco View Post
I'm trying to use CN-06 Gps with the AIO and mwii 2.1 but after I made the modifications to the CN-06 configuration with U-blox software the CN-06 seems to loose immediately the configuration.
If I power it off after 20 seconds it returns to 9600 default baudrate.
Could it be a defective battery on the CN-06 ?
The CN-06 GPS has an issue with resetting to defaults after a short period of time but luckily there is code you can add to MWC 2.1 (& file to replace) that will automatically configure the GPS with all the correct settings on boot up as long as the GPS module is on default settings.

Just replace the GPS.ino file & add the following lines to config.h gps part:

Code:
                //#define NMEA
                #define UBLOX
           // #define MTK
           #define GPS_LEAD_FILTER
        //#define GPS_FILTERING
        //#define NAV_SLEW_RATE                   30
Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup:

Code:
#if defined(GPS_SERIAL)

#if defined(UBLOX)
           UBLOX_init();
           delay(200);
          #endif
        #if defined(MTK)
           MTK_init();
           delay(200);
        #endif
                SerialOpen(GPS_SERIAL,GPS_BAUD);
You must change the Baud to 57600:

Code:
#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   57600
Thanks to EOSBandi.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Last edited by nebstress; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelightning View Post
- Flight plan reset (erasing all the waypoint stored in memory):
When you are in MANUAL mode, if you switch ON then OFF the Switch on Ch7 (A14 pin on AIOP), this cleanup the flight plan.
- Storing/Adding a new WayPoint:
When you are in STABILIZE mode, if you switch ON then OFF the Switch on Ch7 (A14 pin on AIOP), this add the current 3D GPS position (Latitude, Longitude, altitude) as a new Waypoint in the flight plan.

So, in flight if you switch to AUTO mode the plane follows all the recorded 3D WayPoints stored in the flight plan. (you may store up to 100 wp...)
If the TP_CL_NAV parameter is set to 1 the full autonomous navigation is running in closed loop if it set to 0 the plane return to home...
During an full autonomous nav in AUTO mode, if you switch ON then OFF the Switch on Ch7 (A14 pin on AIOP), the RTL mode is set and the plane return to the HOME automatically in a full autonomous flight. When it reach the HOME position it goes in large circles until you take the control again.

The mode switch channel (MANUAL, STABILIZE, AUTO) is connected on PIN A15 on the AIOP (ch6 for my transmitter)
This work very well and I am using these features every time...

Of course, you may also use the AP Mission Planner with a PC through the USB cable or with the Xbee telemetry to create and edit the flight plan stored in memory...

I am working to add some others interesting features... Stay tuned...
Quote:
You need only to set the ch8 to the ppm value so as to set the RTL mode. You may also set the throttle value to a low value (I.e. 900 s) and this engage the RTL.
Jean-Louis!

I do have a PCM based JR system that allows me to set the failsafes for every single channel everywhere I want.

In the above post you mention there are three (3) different flight modes MANUAL/ STABILIZE/ AUTO that are set via a 3-way switch (assigned on Ch6 on your transmitter) that goes on Pin 15.

Then you use another switch of the Tx that goes to Pin 14 on AIOP (through Ch7 on your transmitter) and this switch when flipped once it erases the waypoints (when in manual mode), stores a new waypoint (when in Stablize mode) and activates RTL (when in Auto mode).

The way I understood it, I just had to set failsafe for AUTO flight (via Ch6) and RTL (via Ch7)....

Now on post #1092 you mention even Ch8... Where does this connect? Does it cancel all the autopilot functions and activates RTL when set at certain value? Is this channel I need to set the failsafe for?

/Dimitrios

PS The way
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach Gardens
Joined Jun 2012
54 Posts
Flight modes

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out the flight modes. I haven't tried them all but here is what I found. Most are self explanatory but I'll include them anyway.

Acro - Stable, but wont auto level. No attitude limit
Stabilize - Auto level
Loiter - Position hold with altitude hold
Pos Hold - Position hold without altitude hold
Land - Auto land
RTL - Return to launch
Simple mode - Head free, or carefree
Alt Hold - Altitude hold

Anyone know what these do?

OF_LOITER ?
Toy ?

Please change if anyone feels this is incorrect, or add if I missed any modes.
(I haven't viewed APM for almost 24 long hours)

Thanks,
Chris
CHRISGA1A is offline Find More Posts by CHRISGA1A
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
United Kingdom, Chesterton
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGA1A View Post

OF_LOITER ?
Toy ?

Thanks,
Chris
OF_LOITER - Optical flow loiter
Toy - This is still under development. The idea is it's a simplified mode that flies from only the right stick. Yaw and roll are coupled.
toney is offline Find More Posts by toney
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach Gardens
Joined Jun 2012
54 Posts
Batterey monitor

How is the battery monitor used with the AIOP, or is it even possible?
I have a reading of 4.3 - 4.7 volts in APM. the only power going to the board is 5 volts from the ESC's that are also connected to the "extended in" with a custom jumper. (yellow jumper removed) I assume APM reads 4.3 - 4.7 volts because it's not properly calibrated, but why would it fluctuate? The BEC voltage keeps a constant five volts. Is it possible to connect the battery balance lead into the analogue inputs? Is there code to support that?

Thanks,
Chris
CHRISGA1A is offline Find More Posts by CHRISGA1A
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
VTOL UAV designer
France
Joined Aug 2005
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Jean-Louis!

I do have a PCM based JR system that allows me to set the failsafes for every single channel everywhere I want.

In the above post you mention there are three (3) different flight modes MANUAL/ STABILIZE/ AUTO that are set via a 3-way switch (assigned on Ch6 on your transmitter) that goes on Pin 15.

Then you use another switch of the Tx that goes to Pin 14 on AIOP (through Ch7 on your transmitter) and this switch when flipped once it erases the waypoints (when in manual mode), stores a new waypoint (when in Stablize mode) and activates RTL (when in Auto mode).
-
The way I understood it, I just had to set failsafe for AUTO flight (via Ch6) and RTL (via Ch7)....

Now on post #1092 you mention even Ch8... Where does this connect? Does it cancel all the autopilot functions and activates RTL when set at certain value? Is this channel I need to set the failsafe for?

/Dimitrios

PS The way
Hello Dimitrios,
Here the good method for the mode switch and the use of the FailSafe for RTL. I recall that you must use a receiver which is able to handle the RSSI signal to activate a true FailSafe state on the receiver outputs.
With the mission planner you need to check that :
- the Radio 8 channel is used to switch the MODE (MANUAL, STABILIZE, AUTO) during a normal flight,
- the Radio 7 channel is used to CLEANUP the FPL (in MANUAL mode) memory and SAVE_WP (in STABILIZE mode) or RTL (in AUTO mode).

The transmitter use a 3 buttons switch to select the modes in normal flight. There are 3 positions :
- Flight Mode 6 corresponding to MANUAL (High position with PWM 1750 +),
- Flight Mode 3 corresponding to STABILIZE (Middle position with PWM 1361-1490),
- Flight Mode 1 corresponding to AUTO (Low position with PWM 0 -1230).

So, how to set the RTL mode when the receiver is switched to the FailSafe mode ?
You need simply to set the Flight Mode 2 (PWM 1231-1360) to RTL with the mission planner and with the ATV of your transmitter set the max value of the Switch mode so as to have a PWM between 1231 - 1360 s (i.e. 1300 s) and then store on your receiver this position as the FAILSAFE value.
So, then the transmitter is switched off the receiver set the channel 8 to this Flight Mode 2 corresponding to RTL...
Don't forget to set back the ATV of your switch mode of your transmitter to the max value corresponding to the Flight Mode 1 (AUTO mode).

That's All and this work very well with true Failsafe receivers...

see attached the screen of the mission planner radio configuration for the ArduPlaneNG v2.x R5
bluelightning is offline Find More Posts by bluelightning
Last edited by bluelightning; Aug 21, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:18 AM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,561 Posts
Quote:
That's All and this work very well with true Failsafe receivers...

see attached the screen of the mission planner radio configuration for the ArduPlaneNG v2.x R5
Got it!

Thank you Jean-Louis!

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
My AIO loaded with MegaPirateNG 2.7 R4 on Quad-x all the 4 motors unable to work after the board was armed. All sensors detected, radio calibrated on MP 1.2.5
What could be the cause?
The board worked before on MegaPirateNG 2.6 R5.
I reverted back to MegaPirateNG 2.6 R5., same problem, I got it armed but motor just don't spin a bit.

Thanks
almtmd is offline Find More Posts by almtmd
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Беларусь, Минская область, Минск
Joined Sep 2011
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by almtmd View Post
My AIO loaded with MegaPirateNG 2.7 R4 on Quad-x all the 4 motors unable to work after the board was armed. All sensors detected, radio calibrated on MP 1.2.5
What could be the cause?
The board worked before on MegaPirateNG 2.6 R5.
I reverted back to MegaPirateNG 2.6 R5., same problem, I got it armed but motor just don't spin a bit.

Thanks
Maybe you forgot to increase throttle after arming?
Sir Alex is online now Find More Posts by Sir Alex
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:38 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Maybe you forgot to increase throttle after arming?
Check on MP, throttle able to go full after ARMED.
Motor still not moving.

I recall, the problem started when I set the flight mode.
Only able to set 3 flight mode.
1) RTH
2) Stabalized
3) Pos Hold

Edit: After re-calibrate the radio on the MP, the motors able to spin. Now fine tune the PID
almtmd is offline Find More Posts by almtmd
Last edited by almtmd; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Apr 2009
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
The CN-06 GPS has an issue with resetting to defaults after a short period of time but luckily there is code you can add to MWC 2.1 (& file to replace) that will automatically configure the GPS with all the correct settings on boot up as long as the GPS module is on default settings.

Just replace the GPS.ino file & add the following lines to config.h gps part:

Code:
                //#define NMEA
                #define UBLOX
           // #define MTK
           #define GPS_LEAD_FILTER
        //#define GPS_FILTERING
        //#define NAV_SLEW_RATE                   30
Plus add the initialisation to the multiwii.ino setup:

Code:
#if defined(GPS_SERIAL)

#if defined(UBLOX)
           UBLOX_init();
           delay(200);
          #endif
        #if defined(MTK)
           MTK_init();
           delay(200);
        #endif
                SerialOpen(GPS_SERIAL,GPS_BAUD);
You must change the Baud to 57600:

Code:
#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   57600
Thanks to EOSBandi.
Thank you nebstress !
With these modifications I was able to see the Gps data in the Mwii 2.1 Gui, unfortunately even with 6 or 7 satellites , so I guess Gps fix since two led on the AIO were blinking quickly I was not able to perform position Hold or RTH.

The compass rose in the Gui blinks , does it means an error ?

For GPS operations I have program a 3 position switch with Level+Hold+Baro or Level+RTH+Baro as far as I understand GPS operations are possible only in Level mode.
lucamaxco is offline Find More Posts by lucamaxco
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucamaxco View Post
Thank you nebstress !
With these modifications I was able to see the Gps data in the Mwii 2.1 Gui, unfortunately even with 6 or 7 satellites , so I guess Gps fix since two led on the AIO were blinking quickly I was not able to perform position Hold or RTH.

The compass rose in the Gui blinks , does it means an error ?

For GPS operations I have program a 3 position switch with Level+Hold+Baro or Level+RTH+Baro as far as I understand GPS operations are possible only in Level mode.
You are welcome

You need '5' Satellites to use the GPS functions in MultiWii.

I tested Position Hold the other day with just 6 Sats & it worked very well. I was surprised how well it held position.

I don't understand what you mean by "The compass rose in the Gui blinks", I've found the Compass to be very accurate & work very well, have you calibrated it properly?
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISGA1A View Post
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out the flight modes. I haven't tried them all but here is what I found. Most are self explanatory but I'll include them anyway.

Acro - Stable, but wont auto level. No attitude limit
Stabilize - Auto level
Loiter - Position hold with altitude hold
Pos Hold - Position hold without altitude hold
Land - Auto land
RTL - Return to launch
Simple mode - Head free, or carefree
Alt Hold - Altitude hold

OF_LOITER ?
Toy ?

Thanks,
Chris

GUIDED - Follow a GPS coordinate transmitted by telemetry to Crius AIOP
CIRCLE - Circle a predetermined position
POSITION - No clue
AUTO - No clue
MANUAL - No clue

This is my interpretation. Is it correct?
Isn't there one updated manual with all this?
What is simple mode??
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygaac View Post
For those using MPNG, please help me:
1- How to assign CH6 to control COPTER_LEDS?
2- How to assign CH6 to control camera shutter?
3- Sonar SR04 can be used connected to D9 and D10? and I2C?
Anyone has experience in this?
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac