HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Multiwii or KK. The Acro features for MPNG haven't been implemented fully yet (true acro as you know it).

I want to echo the RTL ability of this platform. I chose this specifically for that feature and it's saved me on more occasions than I care to admit. The problems I've run into have been almost all mechanical, but I've finally sorted a number of those issues.

I want to share one particular failure that I hope you guys can avoid.

Everyone keeps mentioning what wonderful motors the NTM series are. I drank the koolaid, and I bought 8. I won't be buying these again, but I'm not throwing these out and they're still mostly salvageable.

I ran into one particular issue with my tricopter. When an arm dips, the motor speeds to stabilize the rig back to level. That creates a torque effect on the motor. It was fine for the few hours of operation, but both motors suddenly developed an uncontrollable vibration above 50% throttle any time I rolled left or right. If you look at my videos on Youtube, you'll see one of those flights caused a crash. You'll see it about 3:40

Tricoptex FPV crash (4 min 33 sec)

I bought a new set of bearings from GravesRC (I would have bought them from AvidRC but they were out of the 3x8x4's when I ordered), held the tricopter in my hand and dipped the motors left and right under full throttle. Smooth as butter now.

I have no idea how long this will last, but if you're running NTMs, it's not a question of if these bearings will fail - but when. The effect isn't as pronounced on my quad maybe because of the extra rigidity of the frame, but I'm not waiting for them to fail - I'm going to swap out all the bearings as soon as possible.

I want to add that in addition to swapping out the bearings, I've balanced each motor bell using the quadrant & iVibration app method, propeller, and prop hub, and this rig whispers in the air now. I'll grab some footage tomorrow so you can see the difference.

I may also swap the Skywalker out of the HT FPV and change them up for SimonK Blues but I'm less concerned about that rig. Just trying to get some flying in for a change.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2010
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Multiwii or KK. The Acro features for MPNG haven't been implemented fully yet (true acro as you know it).

I want to echo the RTL ability of this platform. I chose this specifically for that feature and it's saved me on more occasions than I care to admit. The problems I've run into have been almost all mechanical, but I've finally sorted a number of those issues.

I want to share one particular failure that I hope you guys can avoid.

Everyone keeps mentioning what wonderful motors the NTM series are. I drank the koolaid, and I bought 8. I won't be buying these again, but I'm not throwing these out and they're still mostly salvageable.

I ran into one particular issue with my tricopter. When an arm dips, the motor speeds to stabilize the rig back to level. That creates a torque effect on the motor. It was fine for the few hours of operation, but both motors suddenly developed an uncontrollable vibration above 50% throttle any time I rolled left or right. If you look at my videos on Youtube, you'll see one of those flights caused a crash. You'll see it about 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEmDKb9lVZE

I bought a new set of bearings from GravesRC (I would have bought them from AvidRC but they were out of the 3x8x4's when I ordered), held the tricopter in my hand and dipped the motors left and right under full throttle. Smooth as butter now.

I have no idea how long this will last, but if you're running NTMs, it's not a question of if these bearings will fail - but when. The effect isn't as pronounced on my quad maybe because of the extra rigidity of the frame, but I'm not waiting for them to fail - I'm going to swap out all the bearings as soon as possible.

I want to add that in addition to swapping out the bearings, I've balanced each motor bell using the quadrant & iVibration app method, propeller, and prop hub, and this rig whispers in the air now. I'll grab some footage tomorrow so you can see the difference.

I may also swap the Skywalker out of the HT FPV and change them up for SimonK Blues but I'm less concerned about that rig. Just trying to get some flying in for a change.
The NTM 28's do have crappy bearings, but the NTM 35's I have seem to be lasting a lot longer. At about $2 per motor for new bearings the 28's are still pretty good though. Just like many other Chinese products. You keep the good parts and replace the bad parts with quality American made parts.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,602 Posts
Just ordered the HK NEO-6M GPS module..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31135

I think I will put on the multiwii 2.2 and all will be fine....
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:32 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
Just ordered the HK NEO-6M GPS module..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31135

I think I will put on the multiwii 2.2 and all will be fine....
Anyone has success with multiwii 2.2 and CRIUS AIO with GPS on position Hold ? Do you know something about that?
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:46 AM
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Hello I am trying the last 2 days to make a piezo buzzer for arming - disarming like kk2.0 on MegapirateNG 2.9 R6. But I could make it. I Have copter led enabled and they are working fine, but a buzzer will be also good.

Code:
// New in 2.0.43, but unused in MegairateNG
// MPNG: Piezo uses AN5 pin in ArduCopter, we uses AN5 for CLI switch
As I understand from that line , the Piezo doesn't work on MegapirateNG any more, am I right?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:58 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21 View Post
Hello I am trying the last 2 days to make a piezo buzzer for arming - disarming like kk2.0 on MegapirateNG 2.9 R6. But I could make it. I Have copter led enabled and they are working fine, but a buzzer will be also good.

Code:
As I understand from that line , the Piezo doesn't work on MegapirateNG any more, am I right?
@lakis you can check at KK2.0 thread KK2
jan michael is offline Find More Posts by jan michael
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:09 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,999 Posts
Quote:

Code:
Normally a buzzer just emit some sound when get 5v power
All you need is to connect the buzzer on one side (check which is +vcc on your buzzer else you may destroy something) then control high and low via one of the free pin ... you will have to initialize this pin as an output

It is very easy if you know what are you doing

e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Normally a buzzer just emit some sound when get 5v power
All you need is to connect the buzzer on one side (check which is +vcc on your buzzer else you may destroy something) then control high and low via one of the free pin ... you will have to initialize this pin as an output

It is very easy if you know what are you doing

Hello I know how its works, I ve done on my apm2.5 and arducopter, but I can't on MegapirateNG and Crius.... By the way external leds for arming - disarming, gps lock they are working fine like arducopter.... But I didn't manage to have buzzer...
Does anybody knows if the MegapirateNG 2.9 R7 supports Buzzer on CRIUS ?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:17 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Im asking for Help maybe anybody can help me on my setup. regarding on STOCK FS-TH9X configuration for my quad.

Specs.

F450 frame with Crius AIO
1000kv 2212 motor with 20Amps quattro
10X4.5 props
2200 25C zippy
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:26 AM
Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Joined Jan 2009
328 Posts
Quote:
Does anybody knows if the MegapirateNG 2.9 R7 supports Buzzer on CRIUS ?
Yes it does , but you have to change the LED_MODES to enable Buzzer and define YOUR piezzo pin (any free pin).

I have sent you examples one day ...

Edit:

Again:

http://code.google.com/p/megapiraten...pter/defines.h

lines 411,412
Paku is offline Find More Posts by Paku
Last edited by Paku; Mar 17, 2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:29 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Need help i try to arm my Crius aio multiwii but doesn't work i follow the throttle down right but nothing happened. i also check the ESC buy plugging the signal in into thr RX throttle channel and all off them working fine. when i plug the all and plug the battery only initial sound where heard. what could be the problem on mu multiwii? should i flash it with Megapirate NG?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan michael View Post
Need help i try to arm my Crius aio multiwii but doesn't work i follow the throttle down right but nothing happened. i also check the ESC buy plugging the signal in into thr RX throttle channel and all off them working fine. when i plug the all and plug the battery only initial sound where heard. what could be the problem on mu multiwii? should i flash it with Megapirate NG?
you can assign a switch to arm on multiwii..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:46 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
you can assign a switch to arm on multiwii..
any guideline how to. sorry but im noob and i dont know.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
open multiwii gu,i in flight modes youll see aux1 aux2 aux3 aux4 look down the list you will see arm.
you can assign one of your switches for it..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:34 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
open multiwii gu,i in flight modes youll see aux1 aux2 aux3 aux4 look down the list you will see arm.
you can assign one of your switches for it..
@dazza now i got it thank you so much now my next problem is motor calibration