HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:33 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
643 Posts
2.9r5 Gimbal Jitter

Is anyone else having massive jitter issues after going to MP 2.9r5? With 2.7r4 using pins 44, 45 ch7&8 all was good, now with the new firmware we can use use pins 44, 45 with ch5&6 (completely unusable from insane jitter) or pins 11, 12 ch10&11 which is slightly better but jitter gets worse towards the end of a 4 min flight.

Should I revert to 2.7r4? The new firmware flies WAY better but gotta have a working gimbal too.

Cheers,
Andy
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:35 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Appreciate the responses fellas.

Leithal - on my drive down tonight - I realized that I do have gps and osd going into the FC. They didn't give me trouble on my quad build, but it's worth removing those just to eliminate them as a possibility. I did, as a troubleshooting step, swap out the motors and ESCs just to rule them out - I'm confident that they're fine on their own - but it's still possible there may be an issue between the ESC and the FC.

These random pulses are consistent with grounding issues that I've read about...I'll start isolating components on the next run. What confuses me is that I know I can't be the only person running flashed HobbyKing Blue 30A's on a Crius with MPNG (or am I? <head scratch>).

Nuclear option will be to whip out the Arduflyer or the CC3D but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that - would be nice to figure out what's causing this hiccup.

Oh and for what it's worth - the Tri flies great - blips notwithstanding. If you're into FPV - I highly recommend it as a platform. Thanks guys - this has been helpful (though maddeningly frustrating - this was supposed to be the "simple" build).
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post

Leithal - on my drive down tonight - I realized that I do have gps and osd going into the FC. They didn't give me trouble on my quad build, but it's worth removing those just to eliminate them as a possibility. I did, as a troubleshooting step, swap out the motors and ESCs just to rule them out - I'm confident that they're fine on their own - but it's still possible there may be an issue between the ESC and the FC.

These random pulses are consistent with grounding issues that I've read about...I'll start isolating components on the next run. What confuses me is that I know I can't be the only person running flashed HobbyKing Blue 30A's on a Crius with MPNG (or am I? <head scratch>).

Nuclear option will be to whip out the Arduflyer or the CC3D but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that - would be nice to figure out what's causing this hiccup.

Oh and for what it's worth - the Tri flies great - blips notwithstanding. If you're into FPV - I highly recommend it as a platform. Thanks guys - this has been helpful (though maddeningly frustrating - this was supposed to be the "simple" build).
I have the same Simon-ized ESC's on mine. Have not tested the throttle repsonse like you did nor tested it in the field enough but I have not seen that jitter so far. I am running SunnySky X2212 980Kv motors.
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:35 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:

Hi Mochaboy! Thanks for everything you are doing!
I am using Crius AIO 1.1 with HobbyKing 30A Flashed with SimonK with no problem at all.
I mean this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...205&aff=588847

This esc's do you have?
if you have theses:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Please Ignore my post!

Last thing do you have a spare receiver to check? I hade similar issues with Corona 2.4 FASST combatible receivers... Never work for me. When I change the similar issues gone.

p/s : Sorry for my bad english!
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:58 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Беларусь, Минская область, Минск
Joined Sep 2011
705 Posts
Quote:
I'm have similar ESC from Timecop's shop: http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=27
But I'm use ESC with preflashed firmware (half year old) by Timecop. My motors is T-Motor 800Kv - no jitters found, but I'm running motors without props.

I'm not checked your tlogs, can't do it on my work. Will check this evening. If you seeing jitter in Mission Planner on output channels - it cannot be ESC problem. Check also Input channel, maybe jitter coming from Receiver.
Do you have Crius V1 or V2?
Sir Alex is online now Find More Posts by Sir Alex
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
I'm attaching tlogs from the last bench runs. Something's causing channels 1 and 4 to high and low at random intervals.

hmmm didn't like text files..have to zip these up
Although it seems specific only to 2 channels, that's still 66%.

I wonder if you have some gyro resonance?

Can you look at either isolating the vibration, or rechecking prop balance?
SkyHawk_DP is offline Find More Posts by SkyHawk_DP
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Hey guys, again thanks for all your help.

It's a radio glitch for sure (APM team checked my logs), so it's either a problem with the PPM Encoder or the receiver itself.

I'll have this sorted out by tomorrow night.

Roll and Yaw go High and Low at random intervals, but obviously it's the Roll one that was causing the cutouts and surges. This entire process, although extremely frustrating, will be the next video I do - and that's troubleshooting using logs.

Ultimately it was taking a look at the telemetry logs that led to the answer and would have saved me a lot of time ripping things apart if I'd started there first.

The v1.x boards don't have on board raw sensor capture to data flash, so first thing I'll want to do is see if I can enable those over telemetry (my guess is no - but we'll see).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21 View Post
Hi Mochaboy! Thanks for everything you are doing!
I am using Crius AIO 1.1 with HobbyKing 30A Flashed with SimonK with no problem at all.
I mean this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...205&aff=588847

This esc's do you have?
if you have theses:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Please Ignore my post!

Last thing do you have a spare receiver to check? I hade similar issues with Corona 2.4 FASST combatible receivers... Never work for me. When I change the similar issues gone.

p/s : Sorry for my bad english!
Your english is great - I'm sorry my Greek isn't better.

I have those exact ESCs...and I'm using a TFR4-B with a Futaba 10CHG.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:47 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:

do you have a spare receiver to try ? you can also disconect the ESC's and leave only the receiver on, and then on the apm planner... maybe you will see there the "glitching problem" on the Radio Calibration...

lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Joined Sep 2011
705 Posts
Quote:

If you really use 10Ch receiver - it can be problem! I'm never check this (my receivers 8Ch).
You must see what happens with input channels at Calibration page in the Mission Planner.
Also you can use CLI to test radio inputs...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Receiver directly to ESC is fine...

Problem is when I connect Receiver to Flight Controller and then to ESC...glitches are being introduced either by the PPM encoder or the receivers PPM output.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:35 PM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Joined Sep 2011
705 Posts
Quote:
Receiver directly to ESC is fine...

Problem is when I connect Receiver to Flight Controller and then to ESC...glitches are being introduced either by the PPM encoder or the receivers PPM output.
I'm make some changes in PPM decoder. Could you please, try this version (Do not forget to change settings in APM_Config.h)
Maybe also you can use oscilloscope to check PPM signal coming from receiver (and make screenshoots).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,262 Posts
mochaboy.. are you taking bout these randon twitches..

its discuss here..
http://diydrones.ning.com/forum/topi...ge=10#comments

barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2010
254 Posts
Quote:

I'm not ashamed to admit that ground loop issues are the reason I have two extra flight controllers. I had the Crius SE flying great and then I changed something (don't remember exactly what. I think esc's) and all the sudden had weird random twitching problems. So I bought another SE and it did the exact same thing. In hind sight now I realize that I had all the ground wires from the esc's going to my FC. So now I do what everybody told me to do in the first place. I bought a stand alone BEC and stopped using the power from the esc's BEC. Also, never daisy chain your ground wires. Run each ground wire to the BEC ground wire. If you have ever known someone that installed a great stereo in their car and all you hear is alternator whine coming through the speakers. Ground loop!
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
I'm using hobbyking blue series 40 esc with built in bec, do I have to eliminate the bec power from them to the board as I'm powering the fc with external bec. I have taken the jumper plug off the board already.
dinislam1395 is offline Find More Posts by dinislam1395