United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Tried in Acro?
Set AHRS_GPS_GAIN to 0?

/J
Different problem - and for what it's worth that's only an issue until you get a good GPS lock. You should actually enable that so you get the benefit of gps error compensation in the inertial stabilization loops. Just give your quad time to get a good lock before arming it.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
Gilrc
Portugal
Joined Mar 2007
43 Posts
hi, any sugestions for setting up the best PIDīs (Planner) to achieve a stable hovering/alt hold ?

G.
Gilrc is offline Find More Posts by Gilrc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Post up a screenshot of what you have and the specs on your airframe (motors, weight, prop sizes etc...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:05 PM
Gilrc
Portugal
Joined Mar 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Post up a screenshot of what you have and the specs on your airframe (motors, weight, prop sizes etc...)
motors - 4 x 2212-13 (1000 Kv)

Props - 10 x 4,5"

Lipo - 3S - 5000mAH (60C) - 440 grams

weight - about 1,6kgs
Last edited by Gilrc; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrc View Post

motors - 4 x 2212-13

Props - 10 x 4,5"

Lipo - 5000mAH (60C) - 440 grams

weight - about 1,6kgs
that rate_P is so low for the power of those motors
abriosi is offline Find More Posts by abriosi
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:16 PM
Gilrc
Portugal
Joined Mar 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abriosi View Post
that rate_P is so low for the power of those motors
what would you suggest ?

G.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:59 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
R_P - 0.1000 then inch up in .0100's
R_I - 0.1000 adjust up or down to suit your needs
R_D - .0005 is a good number to start - this may end up around .0006 or 7

Once that's done - you can play around with throttle accel to fine tune your alt hold.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
So a quick update - RCJ & Sir Alex thought it might be a timing bug and had me change RC_SPEED to any of the available options (125hz, 400hz, 490hz). Dropping it down to 125hz actually made the defect worse because rather than instantly correct (a fast blip of throttle), it shot off in a much larger swing.

400hz seemed to tame the issue - but it's didn't address the root cause. Something's blipping the throttle randomly but only on one motor at any given time.

Only thing left to do is swap out flight controllers unless someone else has a better idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
I'm attaching tlogs from the last bench runs. Something's causing channels 1 and 4 to high and low at random intervals.

hmmm didn't like text files..have to zip these up
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mochaboy; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,264 Posts
Hey Mochaboy, your videos are excellent and your 2 videos about the minimosd are what finally made me buy one. It shipped out today, can't wait!
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
Hey Mochaboy, your videos are excellent and your 2 videos about the minimosd are what finally made me buy one. It shipped out today, can't wait!

He makes good molex connectors too. Kind of a jack of all trades.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
223 Posts
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrc View Post
what would you suggest ? G.
try this:

1. put rate_i to 0
2. put rate_D 0.002
3. raise your rate_p till the coppter starts bouncing on recovers
4. then raise rate_d till you see a minimal sing of fast oscillation
5.up more rate_p.
6: put rate_i till it hold the desired way.
abriosi is offline Find More Posts by abriosi
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
253 Posts
Quote:
So a quick update - RCJ & Sir Alex thought it might be a timing bug and had me change RC_SPEED to any of the available options (125hz, 400hz, 490hz). Dropping it down to 125hz actually made the defect worse because rather than instantly correct (a fast blip of throttle), it shot off in a much larger swing.

400hz seemed to tame the issue - but it's didn't address the root cause. Something's blipping the throttle randomly but only on one motor at any given time.

Only thing left to do is swap out flight controllers unless someone else has a better idea.
I would work backwards to pinpoint the problem. Swap the motor that's bliping with the adjacent motor on the frame and see if if the same arm has the blip or if the blip moved with the motor. Then do the same with the esc. If the same arm continues to blip then its happening before the esc. Also check all your connections with a continuity meter or replace all the replaceable wiring on the arm with the blip. Keep the esc refresh rate at 400hz during the troubleshooting. Don't do anything except swap the motors and esc's. If none of that works, try a different receiver and wiring between your receiver and flight controller. If that doesn't work try a different battery. Try everything that is cheaper than an new FC.
If you haven't already done this-
Disconnect the ground and power from all esc's (it will just cause ground loop problems.). Use a BEC to extend power on FC. I have had similar 'ghost' issues only to find out it was something simple. If you have an OSD and/or GPS then power and ground them to the BEC and disconnect power and ground coming from the serial port. Run power and ground from BEC to receiver. Only use signal wire from receiver to FC. This will help isolate your FC.
If you do end up having a broken FC then PM me. I have a Crius AIOP V1 and a Crius SE that I can hook you up with cheap since you helped me.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
PID tuning, Loiter and RTL

I will not be flying in Acro mode, just stabilized. Should I still do the acro tuning first and then the stabilize or just the stabilize?

What's the best way to adjust the PID values for loiter once stab is setup. Just test it in the field?

Quick test of the RTL, launched the quad right up into the air. I stopped it before it got too high. Is there a default height that the RTL will cause the quad to go up to or can that height be set somewhere?
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Quote:

Is flashing a multiwii on the same board an option? At least you can verify that the hardware is working. I have the same Crius 2, and can do some tests, also have a tri, and know that multiwii works fine in tri configuration and with simonk flashed esc.
thebgrian is offline Find More Posts by thebgrian