Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:12 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Беларусь, Минская область, Минск
Joined Sep 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLX View Post
Dirk,

I have tested 2.8 R1 on my Crius A-I-O v1.0 with U-Blox NEO6 three days ago, but crashed several times.

First impression: it flies! But, the PID's seem more sensitive. I had to decrease the value's I used with 2.7R4 with about 20%

My quad (X config) would wobble exponentially untill it crashes upside down, what could be caused by to high rate + stabilize PID's I think.

I repaired the frame today and will do some more testing and tuning, in acro and stabilize mode.

For the people that want 2.8, you need an SVN client and type in the commandline
"svn checkout http://megapirateng.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ megapirateng-read-only" to download the source.

But remember, it's experimental code at the moment, as it is not tested verry much.
Try new sources. I'm just updated it.
Sir Alex is online now Find More Posts by Sir Alex
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:43 PM
French Riviera - Mougins
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Is the GPS antenna facing up to the sky outdoors, have you waited long enough, the first time GPS takes a long time before you see it working, many minutes, wait at least 10 minutes before you decide it is not working It will take a LOT longer if you are indoors near a window.

If that fails, hook the GPS back up to u-center and check that you did in fact permanently save the correct settings,

u-center, Configuration View, CFG - Save current settings, if you don't do that the settings are not saved permanently.
Thanks for your help Jabram.
Yes, the antenna is facing the sky and yes I have waited ages to be sure it's fixed.
When connected with U-center, it takes a couple of minutes to fix.
And when I modified the settings, I saved them the way you just explained. And I also ticked all the options of this menu (hope it's not a mistake but I think someone said here that it was the way to go).

On the APM planner, when I connect the AIOP with USB and connect the GPS with the power supply from the receiver (as USB does not provide power to the serial ports), I can't see the GPS connected ! On the artificial horizon view, it says GPS=no !
And when I'm also trying to use the bluetooth to connect to the APM planner, I can't and I get a "no heatbeat packets received".

As I said in my first message, it's like the serial ports of the FC are not working.
Is there a way to check them other than connecting some devices like the GPS or bluetooth modules ?
riva8406 is offline Find More Posts by riva8406
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:48 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riva8406 View Post
Hello all,

First of all, thanks to everyone that helps each other on setting up their AIOP card. That's great to read all these tricks and helpful inputs from everyone.

I'm setting up my AIOP card which is almost ready to fly but I have also a CN-06 GPS V2 and a bluetooth (and, but for later on only, a MinimOSD) but unfortunately, none of them are working on my FC (haven't tried the MinimOSD yet).
For example, I modified the GPS to work on 38400 bauds and NMEA and of course modified the firmware of the FC to match these settings and if the GPS works really well connected on my PC with the U-center soft, I can't make it work when connected to the FC.
And I have exactly the same issue with the bluetooth.
It's like all my serial ports are disabled and do not work.
Any idea of what could be my problem ?

BTW, I'm using MPNG 2.7 R4 and I'm powering the FC card with a separate UBEC.
Post the contents of your apm_config.h file - and verify what port you're plugging gps into.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2010
38 Posts
Hey all!

I uploaded the MegaPirateNG 2.8 R1 yesterday and have spent my whole day (setting work aside, gaah!) looking for an answer why my board only boots if the USB is plugged in! Its like the board is just waiting for communication and when it gets that the board starts.. In the 3dr forums they have the same problem with the APM board but thats power related according to them.

I have tried;

New bootloader
Fresh install of MPNG2.8R1
External UBEC

Nothing worked.

SOLVED! - If I installed the 2.7 R4 its all is good!! All works again! Sir Alex?

Regards,
Carl
RFnoise is offline Find More Posts by RFnoise
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:31 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Sir Alex,

Have you managed to get the Native FrSky telemetry conversion working on the Crius ?

Many Thanks
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:36 PM
Finland, Raahe
Joined Jul 2012
72 Posts
Megapirate or Multiwii? Would someone clarify the differences or is there a good webpage to show this? Thanks.
Japala is online now Find More Posts by Japala
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Try new sources. I'm just updated it.
Will test them out later today.
1-2-hak is offline Find More Posts by 1-2-hak
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:39 PM
French Riviera - Mougins
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Post the contents of your apm_config.h file - and verify what port you're plugging gps into.
Below is my apm_config.h file :

Code:
// -*- tab-width: 4; Mode: C++; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
#ifndef __ARDUCOPTER_APMCONFIG_H__
#define __ARDUCOPTER_APMCONFIG_H__ 
// Example config file. Take a look at config.h. Any term define there can be overridden by defining it here.

// Fast PWM 490Hz enabled by default (490 Hz can be changed in the APM Planner)
// In order to use an old PWM generator (for slow ESC), uncomment this line
//#define INSTANT_PWM	ENABLED

// Select your sensor board
#define PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD PIRATES_CRIUS_AIO_PRO_V1
/*
	PIRATES_ALLINONE
	PIRATES_FFIMU
	PIRATES_FREEIMU
	PIRATES_BLACKVORTEX
	PIRATES_FREEIMU_4 					// New FreeIMU 0.4.1 with MPU6000, MS5611 and 5883L
	PIRATES_DROTEK_10DOF_MPU 		// MPU6000, MS5611 and 5883L
	PIRATES_CRIUS_AIO_PRO_V1    // Crius AllInOne Pro v1
*/

// RC configuration
// Uncomment if you uses PPM Sum signal from receiver
//#define SERIAL_PPM ENABLED

#define TX_CHANNEL_SET	TX_mwi
/*
	TX_set1							//Graupner/Spektrum												PITCH,YAW,THROTTLE,ROLL,AUX1,AUX2,CAMPITCH,CAMROLL
	TX_standard					//standard  PPM layout Robbe/Hitec/Sanwa	ROLL,PITCH,THROTTLE,YAW,MODE,AUX2,CAMPITCH,CAMROLL
	TX_set2							//some Hitec/Sanwa/others									PITCH,ROLL,THROTTLE,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,CAMPITCH,CAMROLL
	TX_mwi							//MultiWii layout													ROLL,THROTTLE,PITCH,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,CAMPITCH,CAMROLL
*/

// Select your baro sensor
#define CONFIG_BARO AP_BARO_MS5611_I2C
/*
	AP_BARO_BMP085_PIRATES
	AP_BARO_MS5611_I2C
*/

// Warning: COPTER_LEDS is not compatible with LED_SEQUENCER, so enable only one option
#define COPTER_LEDS ENABLED     // New feature coming from ArduCopter
//#define LED_SEQUENCER ENABLED   // Old Oleg's LED Sequencer, see leds.pde for more info

#define MAX_SONAR_RANGE 200

#define OSD_PROTOCOL OSD_PROTOCOL_NONE
/*
	OSD_PROTOCOL_NONE
	OSD_PROTOCOL_SYBERIAN
	OSD_PROTOCOL_REMZIBI  // Read more at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921467
*/

// For BlackVortex, just set PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD as PIRATES_BLACKVORTEX, GPS will be selected automatically
#define GPS_PROTOCOL GPS_PROTOCOL_NMEA
/*
	GPS_PROTOCOL_NONE 	without GPS
	GPS_PROTOCOL_NMEA
	GPS_PROTOCOL_SIRF
	GPS_PROTOCOL_UBLOX     <<< Select this for UBLOX LEA-6 (CRIUS GPS boards and others)
	GPS_PROTOCOL_MTK16
	GPS_PROTOCOL_BLACKVORTEX
	GPS_PROTOCOL_AUTO	auto select GPS
*/

#define SERIAL0_BAUD			 115200	// Console port 
#define SERIAL2_BAUD			 38400	// GPS port
#define SERIAL3_BAUD			 57600	// Telemetry (MAVLINK) port

// New in 2.0.43, but unused in MegairateNG
// MPNG: Piezo uses AN5 pin in ArduCopter, we uses AN5 for CLI switch
#define PIEZO	DISABLED	
#define PIEZO_LOW_VOLTAGE	DISABLED
#define PIEZO_ARMING		DISABLED

#define FRAME_CONFIG QUAD_FRAME
/*
	QUAD_FRAME
	TRI_FRAME
	HEXA_FRAME
	Y6_FRAME
	OCTA_FRAME
	OCTA_QUAD_FRAME
	HELI_FRAME
*/

#define FRAME_ORIENTATION X_FRAME
/*
	PLUS_FRAME
	X_FRAME
	V_FRAME
*/

# define CH7_OPTION		CH7_DO_NOTHING
/*
	CH7_DO_NOTHING
	CH7_SET_HOVER
	CH7_FLIP
	CH7_SIMPLE_MODE
	CH7_RTL
	CH7_AUTO_TRIM
	CH7_ADC_FILTER (experimental)
	CH7_SAVE_WP
*/

//#define RATE_ROLL_I 	0.18
//#define RATE_PITCH_I	0.18
//#define MOTORS_JD880
//#define MOTORS_JD850

// agmatthews USERHOOKS
// the choice of function names is up to the user and does not have to match these
// uncomment these hooks and ensure there is a matching function un your "UserCode.pde" file
//#define USERHOOK_FASTLOOP userhook_FastLoop();
#define USERHOOK_50HZLOOP userhook_50Hz();
//#define USERHOOK_MEDIUMLOOP userhook_MediumLoop();
//#define USERHOOK_SLOWLOOP userhook_SlowLoop();
//#define USERHOOK_SUPERSLOWLOOP userhook_SuperSlowLoop();
#define USERHOOK_INIT userhook_init();

// the choice of includeed variables file (*.h) is up to the user and does not have to match this one
// Ensure the defined file exists and is in the arducopter directory
#define USERHOOK_VARIABLES "UserVariables.h"

// to enable, set to 1
// to disable, set to 0
#define AUTO_THROTTLE_HOLD 1

#define LOGGING_ENABLED		DISABLED

// Custom channel config - Expert Use Only.
// this for defining your own MOT_n to CH_n mapping.
// Overrides defaults (for APM1 or APM2) found in config_channels.h
// MOT_n variables are used by the Frame mixing code. You must define
// MOT_1 through MOT_m where m is the number of motors on your frame.
// CH_n variables are used for RC output. These can be CH_1 through CH_8,
// and CH_10 or CH_12. 
// Sample channel config. Must define all MOT_ chanels used by
// your FRAME_TYPE.
// #define CONFIG_CHANNELS CHANNEL_CONFIG_CUSTOM
// #define MOT_1 CH_6
// #define MOT_2 CH_3
// #define MOT_3 CH_2
// #define MOT_4 CH_5
// #define MOT_5 CH_1
// #define MOT_6 CH_4
// #define MOT_7 CH_7
// #define MOT_8 CH_8

// ************** EXPERIMENTAL FEATURES *****************

// Alt hold with accelerometer
#define ACCEL_ALT_HOLD 0		// disabled by default, work in progress

#define INERTIAL_NAV DISABLED

#if INERTIAL_NAV == ENABLED
	#define ALT_HOLD_P			3
	#define ALT_HOLD_I			0
	#define ALT_HOLD_IMAX		300

// RATE control
	#define THROTTLE_P			5		//
	#define THROTTLE_I			0.4		//
	#define THROTTLE_D			0.0		//

#define LOITER_P			0.50
	#define LOITER_I			0.0
	#define LOITER_RATE_P		5		//
	#define LOITER_RATE_I		0.1		// Wind control
	#define LOITER_RATE_D		0.0		// try 2 or 3 for LOITER_RATE 1
#endif

// Enabling this will use the GPS lat/long coordinate to get the compass declination
//#define AUTOMATIC_DECLINATION ENABLED

// Enable Jeb Madgwick sensor fusion algo
//#define QUATERNION_ENABLE ENABLED

//#define CLI_ENABLED DISABLED

//#define FAILSAFE

#endif //__ARDUCOPTER_APMCONFIG_H__
And my GPS is connected to the serial port 2, as configured.
BTW, I have also tried to select UBLOX for the GPS on the config file but that did not make any change.
riva8406 is offline Find More Posts by riva8406
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
248 Posts
I broke the mini USB port on my Crius AIOP. I have been trying to program the controller with an FTDI board and Arduino 1.1. The upload process seems to hang up and never finishes. Trying to flash it with multiwii 2.1 in tricopter configuration. The FTDI functions fine with multiwii config. I am able to read and write to the FC. Just can't get it to take the multiwii 2.1 firmware.

Anyone have a suggestion?
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:01 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leithalweapon View Post
I broke the mini USB port on my Crius AIOP. I have been trying to program the controller with an FTDI board and Arduino 1.1. The upload process seems to hang up and never finishes. Trying to flash it with multiwii 2.1 in tricopter configuration. The FTDI functions fine with multiwii config. I am able to read and write to the FC. Just can't get it to take the multiwii 2.1 firmware.

Hello, I am using the Crius Blutooth Module Configurator to Flash the FC with Adruino. Just get a BT 2.0 usb for 1$ and the Crius Blutooth Module for about 9$. and you ok without cables.
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Joined Sep 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFnoise View Post
Hey all!

I uploaded the MegaPirateNG 2.8 R1 yesterday and have spent my whole day (setting work aside, gaah!) looking for an answer why my board only boots if the USB is plugged in! Its like the board is just waiting for communication and when it gets that the board starts.. In the 3dr forums they have the same problem with the APM board but thats power related according to them.

I have tried;

New bootloader
Fresh install of MPNG2.8R1
External UBEC

Nothing worked.

SOLVED! - If I installed the 2.7 R4 its all is good!! All works again! Sir Alex?

Regards,
Carl
I'm tried only USB for tests. Will try external UBEC...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:07 AM
Aleksey Kharlanov
Joined Sep 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Have you managed to get the Native FrSky telemetry conversion working on the Crius ?
Sorry, still no free time to support MPNG.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
176 Posts
Hi,
Got the board connected to the PC, downloaded and burne MPNG 2.7r4.
The board is active and I can see sensors response on Mission Planner when I tilt the board and rotating him in all directions. The only problem is that the roll responses in Mission Planner seems to be upside down - when I tilt the board to the left, the artificial horizone line in the Mission Planner is rolling right and vice versa... I didn't conect the receiver yet it is just initial settings and sensors check. Should it roll in the opposite direction like that? How can I change it? In the sketch I defined "quad" airframe and "X quad" orientation" if it matters.
Friman is offline Find More Posts by Friman
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:26 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leithalweapon View Post
I broke the mini USB port on my Crius AIOP. I have been trying to program the controller with an FTDI board and Arduino 1.1.
You have to cut a trace like this guy did:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3651

Quote:
And my GPS is connected to the serial port 2, as configured.
BTW, I have also tried to select UBLOX for the GPS on the config file but that did not make any change.
Solder one pin at the "Extend Power In" positive and use a dupont line to supply it with +5V as well, so you get power on the S1-S3 connector. Get the config file for 3DR LEA-5 GPS unit and upload it with u-center. Set your serial 2 port for 38400 and GPS for UBLOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friman View Post
The only problem is that the roll responses in Mission Planner seems to be upside down - when I tilt the board to the left, the artificial horizone line in the Mission Planner is rolling right and vice versa... .
That's normal Artificial Horizon. Look at your computer screen and tilt your head. Doesn't the screen roll in the other direction ?
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:42 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help Jabram.
Yes, the antenna is facing the sky and yes I have waited ages to be sure it's fixed.
When connected with U-center, it takes a couple of minutes to fix.
And when I modified the settings, I saved them the way you just explained. And I also ticked all the options of this menu (hope it's not a mistake but I think someone said here that it was the way to go).

On the APM planner, when I connect the AIOP with USB and connect the GPS with the power supply from the receiver (as USB does not provide power to the serial ports), I can't see the GPS connected ! On the artificial horizon view, it says GPS=no !
And when I'm also trying to use the bluetooth to connect to the APM planner, I can't and I get a "no heatbeat packets received".

As I said in my first message, it's like the serial ports of the FC are not working.
Is there a way to check them other than connecting some devices like the GPS or bluetooth modules ?
I think I know what your problem is, it took me a long time to get Bluetooth to work on AIOP v1, the issue with the Bluettoth module I was using [I am not sure if they all do this] was that when first powered it output a string then waits for commands. AIOP v1 and there would be no difference in V2 when first powered up the ATMEGA2560 is running Arduino boot-loader and just after reset it needs to decide if it will load new code into Flash or run the application already in Flash, so if it sees anything arriving on the serial port it incorrectly decides it must have to load new code, that is why the LEDs don't blink correctly and it just hangs refusing to boot. That problem does not arise when USB is connected.

The way to fix it is to connect the hand shaking signals DTR and CTS from the Bluetooth module to AIOP serial port..

The same situation occurs if one uses 3DRadio instead of Bluetooth.

You can test and confirm if that is the issue by disconnecting Bluetooth, connect Lipo power to the AIOP, wait until it has booted and then connect the Bluetooth - if that then works you need to use the DTR and CTS signals to make it work without having to disconnect before booting each time. How to connect the handshaking signals, I tried that weeks ago and I did not document it, there are only 2 signals CTS and DTR, try one way, if it doesn't work swap the two around. NOTE: The handshaking signals are ONLY available on the FTDI connector on AIOP, they are NOT available on the Extend Board connector so God only knows how to get a Bluetooth module working on the Extend board

The same thing applies if you are using 3DRadio instead of Bluetooth with AIOP, it is NOT an AIOP fault, it is not a Megapirates NG issue, same thing happens if you use APM 2.5 board with latest Arducopter firmware, I have AIOP and APM 2.5 boards, so this is not some bit of theory..

The other issue that is also confusing a LOT of people at DIY drones with APM 2.5 with a lot sending boards back firmly believing they don't work when in fact there is nothing wrong with them.

If you use Bluetooth or 3DRadio to connect to APM Planner, you have 2 modules the Ground module and the Air module.

If your ground module is already connected to APM planner on your PC, it is already connected because you used it and did not disconnect, you just shut down the AIr module by unplugging your Lipo because you are changing connectors or whatever but you forget that the Ground station REMAINS CONNECTED TO APM PLANNER. That doesn't happen with USB, you pull the plug and the Virtual COM Port is disconnected,

You now connect the Lipo back to your frame and it will NOT BOOT - nothing wrong - except the fact that APM planner is already connected to the ground station. It is that fact that is preventing the AIOP from booting. You can fix it by clicking Disconnect in APM Planner, that simple.

Solution, before connecting Lipo to your frame make sure APM Planner is DISCONNECTED, in other words the Connect option is the only available option in APM Planner.

Fail safe method - each time you switch off power to AIOP from a Lipo, also completely shut down APM Planner, and you will never get caught out by this "Feature".

Turn your frame on first by connecting Lipo and ONLY AFTER THAT run APM Planner and then click on APM Planner Connect.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:50 AM.