HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
no lipo!set as NIxx (NIMH NICD etc)

granted the lipo setting saves a lipo from deep discharging...
but it saves the lipo by cutting all power to the motor. and a multi without power to the motors is brick... and bricks don't fly.
to prevent the transformation from multi to brick. (and crashing down and destroying your multi) we all set cutoff to NIxx.

lipo cutoff happens at 3.3 volts per cell. NIxx at 0.9 volts per cell. so if the esc is told it is connected to NIxx batteries it will cut off all power under 1 volt. so your multi will kill your lipo but it won't crash.

i hope it's understandable now why we DON'T WANT TO SET THE ESC TO LIPO.
A very entertaining post! especially the bricks dont fly part :P but yes i get it now so thankyou!!
i plan to get the card to make the programming easy and once i start to get the hang of it all (im brand new to quads) i'll flash them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
You use the programming card to set the options for the ESC faster.

But If you flash them when you get it, no. The SimonK firmware is optimized for Multirotors. So you don't have to program those options.
ahk so i may as well get it haha
when i eventually flash them, simonK has to be calibrated still yeah?

As these have built in UBEC do i need an external BEC from HK (like a 3A one) to go into the 'extend power in' port or can i power the board, gps, OSD, receiver all from the ESC BECs??? (and leave the jumper on)

EDIT: PS, you guys on this forum are amazing at helping me get started :P who knows what id do without you
dgonano is offline Find More Posts by dgonano
Last edited by dgonano; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
if you have simonized (flashed) esc's you have to calibrate them once for multicopter use.

those HK30A esc's have bec's yes. almost all esc's have bec's. if they don;t have bec's they are designated as opto. DJI is almost the only one who uses and supplies opto's with their kits.
you have heard about the use of only one bec from four esc's?

and you are welcome.. helping and getting help is what this forum is all about.

eventually you will help other people with their problems and questions.. isn't the world of the internet sometimes great?!
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
[/I][/B].
you have heard about the use of only one bec from four esc's?
)
Should I use built in BECs or external one?
And Yeah I have. I know I have to connect all 4 signal and grounds from the ESC but do I connect 0,1 or 4 5v lines from the ESCs ?
And the jumper on or off ? Haha

For best performance I'm thinking:
Use 3A external BEC connected to external power in port
Jumper removed
Not sure how many esc 5v lines to connect.....
dgonano is offline Find More Posts by dgonano
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
hil?
HIL (Hardware in Loop Simulation) mode is used to test the firmware on simulator environment where the code is actually executed by the processor of your autopilot board and the IMU data is provided by external Simulator software like AeroSIM-RC, via plugin working in the backend. Just have a look at the following videos;

Arduplane_2.65 Flight test on Predator in Aero-SIM-RC, Auto take off, manual landing (6 min 7 sec)

ArduPlane 2.65 looses altitude drastically, soon after it turns to waypoint after an auto take off (6 min 36 sec)

With HIL bugs can be easily found without actually crashing your plane.
narpat007 is offline Find More Posts by narpat007
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:03 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined May 2012
104 Posts
i hope you guys can help me ,as i am trying to load megapirate. some how i am using apm planner to upload arducopter 2.7 on the board . now when i arm the board the motor wont spin.

have i done the wrong steps?
newmanhyde is offline Find More Posts by newmanhyde
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:30 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmanhyde View Post
i hope you guys can help me ,as i am trying to load megapirate. some how i am using apm planner to upload arducopter 2.7 on the board . now when i arm the board the motor wont spin.

have i done the wrong steps?
Though APM board and your board have the same processor ATMEGA2560 but have different pin connection details. For example APM2 has IMU sensor MPU6000 which communicates via SPI / I2C whereas for example CRIUS ALL IN ONE PRO v1.0 has MPU6065 which can only communicate via I2C.

Since Arduino bootloader residing in ATMEGA2560, won't stop you to load firmware via APM Mission planner but that firmware will not work for you due to reason I explained above.

You can flash the new firmware (MegapiratesNG) via Arduino IDE. However there is technique to load custom firmware via mission planner also.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Dec 2009
42 Posts
Hey Guys,

If your running 3cell can you power the board directly from your main flight pack via the "Extend power" in put or is it better to leave the BEC wire connected on the ESC connected to D2 and cut the BEC (red) wire on the other ESCs?

Thanks,

P.
Phroz is offline Find More Posts by Phroz
Last edited by Phroz; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:52 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroz View Post
Hey Guys,

If your running 3cell can you power the board directly from your main flight pack via the "Extend power" in put or is it better to leave the BEC wire connected on the ESC connected to D2 and cut the BEC (red) wire on the other ESCs?

Thanks,

P.
Fully charged 3S Lipo goes upto 4.2v / cell resulting in 12.6V total, will exceed the limit of the board which is 5V to 12V, may result in overheating / damage to the on-board regulator.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:41 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined May 2012
104 Posts
the strange thing is now even i load pirate or multiwii code both show armed in gui but the motor just dont spin.
oh pls tell me i have not kill my board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007 View Post
Though APM board and your board have the same processor ATMEGA2560 but have different pin connection details. For example APM2 has IMU sensor MPU6000 which communicates via SPI / I2C whereas for example CRIUS ALL IN ONE PRO v1.0 has MPU6065 which can only communicate via I2C.

Since Arduino bootloader residing in ATMEGA2560, won't stop you to load firmware via APM Mission planner but that firmware will not work for you due to reason I explained above.

You can flash the new firmware (MegapiratesNG) via Arduino IDE. However there is technique to load custom firmware via mission planner also.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:51 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonano View Post
As these have built in UBEC do i need an external BEC from HK (like a 3A one) to go into the 'extend power in' port or can i power the board, gps, OSD, receiver all from the ESC BECs??? (and leave the jumper on)
The serial ports do not work with just the ESCs powering the board. You need the extended power in and remove the jumper. It's been talked about here a lot

I asked the same question about using a ESC's bec to the extended power in. It should work but I don't know if anyone answered. you could add pins as I've seen I think nebstress do and connect the ESCs bec there.

Once you remove the jumper, the ESCs are isolated from the rest of the board.

I posted a link to another post somewhere earlier in the thread. Read a few pages back. Theres a lot of good info here and even some drama from some members here lol

Did nebstress leave this thread really? Neb? Quad?

We should really break this thread into two. One from Crius AIO MultiWii and anther one for Crius AIO MPNG.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:34 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
the strange thing is now even i load pirate or multiwii code both show armed in gui but the motor just dont spin.
oh pls tell me i have not kill my board.
Erase the E2PROM, via following procedure and then reset the board, by power cycle and then upload appropriate parameter file. DO PROPER RADIO CALIBRATION AS WELL.

Using MP, go to terminal then Setup and then type Erase command, it will ask to type Y for confirmation.

You also need to check the PWM values actually present on individual channels like Rol, Pitch, Throtle, Yaw and Mod.

If this does not work for you then there might be h/w issue, which I do not expect.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2009
42 Posts
Well, tried to test fly mine.. never got of the ground.. on the verge of a flip every time i feed in throttle. As this is my first MultiWii experience are there any guides anyone can point me to regarding setting up a mulltiwii from the ground up that would be applicable to this board also? I know the hardware side (done plenty of KK builds) but know nothing about MultiWii.

Thanks,

P.
Phroz is offline Find More Posts by Phroz
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:15 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined May 2012
104 Posts
thanks narpat but i have erase the eprom still the motors wont run. how do i check the pwm values .are you saying i should calibrate the esc throttle range?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:19 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
Quote:
thanks narpat but i have erase the eprom still the motors wont run. how do i check the pwm values .are you saying i should calibrate the esc throttle range?
By radio calibration, I mean, when Arducopter code ( MegaPirateNG_2.7_R4.zip ), is flashed into your bard, you connect your Autopilot board to the APM Mission planner, via USB.

It is assumed that you have connected the receiver with the Autopilot board properly and turn on your Radio Transmitter.

Then from Mission Planner, click on the configuration tab and from there you will find a clickable list in the left from there you click on Calibrate Radio.

After that it will be self explanatory.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:28 AM
Rana
Gurgaon - India
Joined Jul 2009
154 Posts
MultiWii has lots of variants, product link / photo is required. There is good start up guide for MultiWii (CRIUS ALL IN ONE PRO V1.0).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroz View Post
Well, tried to test fly mine.. never got of the ground.. on the verge of a flip every time i feed in throttle. As this is my first MultiWii experience are there any guides anyone can point me to regarding setting up a mulltiwii from the ground up that would be applicable to this board also? I know the hardware side (done plenty of KK builds) but know nothing about MultiWii.

Thanks,

P.