HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iulian View Post
This might help you.
That's very helpful - thanks. Do you know what that 4th pad does? I believe the micro-B connector is an OTG ('on the go') standard - so it is 'ID' which is used to determine whether the thing plugged in is a host or not.

On the PCB, do you know if it is 'not connected' or grounded?
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:58 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
That is strange

Whats the voltage coming from the pin you are taking the power from (on ESC rail) & have you tried putting the Ground on?
it is strange right, .

i tried putting the ground too it does the same.

I plugged in 1 of my esc in the external in and it does the same

as that said it still have 5v out on the port as you can see on the video.
i think my gps is broken, i dont know, everytime i plugged it in when it just gives me a solid blue light on gps, i didnt have this before unless i have a satellite fix
i dont know what happened
Multor is offline Find More Posts by Multor
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
ok this is really wierd D:

just confirmed my gps is not broken, tried plugging 3s on the External in, fully charged about 12.4v gps is fine, got blinking again.

AND I CAN SOME PHYSICAL NOISE COMMING FROM THE BOARD!! WHAT IS THAT!!!????? D:

Edit
btw its a transmitter battery and its 1c discharge

I dont know. i think my board is possessed, i had a setup before as you can see on my F450 quad i have a JST plug connected directly from power board and powering the external in and never had problems.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multor View Post
it is strange right, .

i tried putting the ground too it does the same.

I plugged in 1 of my esc in the external in and it does the same

as that said it still have 5v out on the port as you can see on the video.
i think my gps is broken, i dont know, everytime i plugged it in when it just gives me a solid blue light on gps, i didnt have this before unless i have a satellite fix
i dont know what happened
In your video it looks like you plugged a 2S or 3S battery directly into the Extend power In? If your GPS doesn't have a regulator then this would cause a problem because the Voltage going into the Extend Power In is the same voltage that comes out of the S1~S3 port.

Have you not checked with your Multimeter to see if there is power to the VCC pin of the S1~S3 port when you are powering the board with the wire from ESC rail to Extend power in?
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
Quote:
In your video it looks like you plugged a 2S or 3S battery directly into the Extend power In? If your GPS doesn't have a regulator then this would cause a problem because the Voltage going into the Extend Power In is the same voltage that comes out of the S1~S3 port.

Have you not checked with your Multimeter to see if there is power to the VCC pin of the S1~S3 port when you are powering the board with the wire from ESC rail to Extend power in?
in the video i used 2s, and ghaddd nabbit. i didnt know that what i put on external outputs it in s1-s3 port i guess i broke my mtk3329 for the second time.

on the video the part where i checked something with multimeter, that is when i have the esc power to the external in
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
on the video the part where i checked something with multimeter, that is when i have the esc power to the external in
Well it looked like it was working then, your Multimeter was showing 5v so it must just be your GPS being broken.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
is there anything else that powering 12v couldve damaged something else?

i mean, dammit it says 5v-12v
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
is there anything else that powering 12v couldve damaged something else?

i mean, dammit it says 5v-12v
Shouldn't be anything, just what plugs into the S1~S3 ports VCC pin if your not careful.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
ok if that is true you just made me happy i never plugged anything on s1-s3 except the gps.

But having two broken gps game me an idea xD

i managed to fix it by doing what im good at xD micro soldering can be frustrating but i feel comfortable doing it, btw, i gambled this time, but i had an instict that its this particular chip because when i saw the original heat shrink had a hole on the top of regulator(i assume), i thought it was from a crash as the edge of the regulator was touching the film and when you scrub it with a hard object it will sure puncture it, but anyway.
i risked it and desoldered it and replaced it with my older one, as they look the same, they are not the same model same chip, but i just thought ehh just solder it they are in the same category so they must be doing the same thing.

it now accepts 5volts frome xternal in and it blinks. i just hope it holds and nothing is changed.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
ok if that is true you just made me happy i never plugged anything on s1-s3 except the gps.

But having two broken gps game me an idea xD

i managed to fix it by doing what im good at xD micro soldering can be frustrating but i feel comfortable doing it, btw, i gambled this time, but i had an instict that its this particular chip because when i saw the original heat shrink had a hole on the top of regulator(i assume), i thought it was from a crash as the edge of the regulator was touching the film and when you scrub it with a hard object it will sure puncture it, but anyway.
i risked it and desoldered it and replaced it with my older one, as they look the same, they are not the same model same chip, but i just thought ehh just solder it they are in the same category so they must be doing the same thing.

it now accepts 5volts frome xternal in and it blinks. i just hope it holds and nothing is changed.
Well done on the soldering, I hope that it will all work for you now!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Aug 2012
135 Posts
If you anatomize the GPS is possible on this one chip remove antena? one guy do it and change it for 25x25 or 32x32mm antenna to get better gain and precision.
janekx is online now Find More Posts by janekx
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
Quote:
Well done on the soldering, I hope that it will all work for you now!
hopefully yes i will try tommorow.
btw. on your ftdi port what voltage are you getting? im getting 3v when i use 5v in on the external.

its for my 3dr radio it works but it asks 5.5v
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
hopefully yes i will try tommorow.
btw. on your ftdi port what voltage are you getting? im getting 3v when i use 5v in on the external.

its for my 3dr radio it works but it asks 5.5v
I get 5.2v on FTDI.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
40 Posts
Multor Can you give us some tips on your Micro soldering Tech? Your set up with equipment? I tried with miserable results on the USB. The BT allows me to setup the board, but I'm stuck for eternity in +mode config. Thanks
Trauma50 is offline Find More Posts by Trauma50
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
not really a micro soldering xD.
but if you have a nice flux you will get a good result
im using this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19239
and set at about 650 Fahrenheit or somewhere around 300. yes i know its hot. but thats waht you want you dont want to hold your solder down for long as it spreads heat,

get a second hand, on that chip i used a bended longnose liers to keep it down xD , it will do the job

also use. Coated copper wires(best source is a broken brushless motor) dont use wires as they are annoying. they break easy. and if you completely ripped off your usb port i suggest probably bypas the orignal pads and solder it directly to the ftdi chip and get the ground and volt somewhere else.

when you get that soldered up get an epoxy and glue it back to place.

just remember, good flux good result. im using a flux i got from philippines and i had it for two years it cost me about 20 cents and its the best xD

i didnt have to worry about this things because first thing before i touch my board i dabbed some epoxy on the usb first

if you really cant get it working. use wireless connection 3dr radio. or bluetooth