SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,450 Posts
Discussion
Looking for VTOL that tilts props for control

I am looking for info and videos of a VTOL that uses servos to tilt a prop while in hover for pitch and roll control. I know I have seen them but searching couldn't find them. The prop is oriented so it is horizontal, motor shaft pointing vertical. Basically the tilting replaces cyclic as used on a helicopter.

I know most 1 man gyrocopters use tilting the rotor for control. I am interested in how using a tilting prop(rotor) for control compares to conventional cyclic on a RC vehicle.

I do not want tilt props like the Osprey or tilt wings. I am looking for hovering vehicles that use tilting the prop for stability control.

Thanks.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,651 Posts
Check out the twin (side by side) copters. That is how most of them control pitch.

Example

Also, not quite the same, there are a couple of tilt the prop that have wing designs.

example
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
Weight shifting is the closest I have seen.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
South Africa, GP, Krugersdorp
Joined Jul 2012
169 Posts
Read this tread, has lots of info on what you are looking for
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1278074
SONICX is offline Find More Posts by SONICX
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,810 Posts
Unless you have a fully articulated rotor it is always a form of weight shifting. For a tilt prop to work there must be some distance between the CG of the plane and the prop tilting axis, and the CG must be beneath the tilt axis while in a hover. This is not desirable in full size planes, since there must be some available CG range (expecially for cargo planes), so generally even though the rotors do tilt, pitch is controlled with fore/aft cyclic, like roll is controlled with side/side cyclic in tandem helicopters.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano