SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Newbie stupit question

Hi all, I have a newbie question...I want to buy a transmitter (4 or 6 channel) for which to run an electric motor with prop. Then I get the receiver say with some servos. I know I need an ESC. Is the ESC normally part of the receiver, or a separate part? And if separate, does it just plug into one of the servo jacks on the receiver, or special jack for an ESC? Then would all receivers have a port for an ESC?

Thanks!
RN
rnorman3 is offline Find More Posts by rnorman3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
1. An ESC is a separate part. It needs to be sized for the motor and battery you are going to use.

2. The ESC plugs into the throttle channel port. All radios have a throttle.

3. What motor, prop, and aircraft do you have?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Nothing yet.

I have nothing yet, i'm planning to build a hovercraft boat actually, but I want plenty of range and a couple of extra channels in case I want to later use it for a plane. I'll have to seal everything in plastic cases and use a stuffing box etc..I guess and an airplane prop. I'll try to keep the center of gravity low by using some sort of belt driven prop. It'll be interesting I guess! Any advise?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,560 Posts
Any modern 2.4GHz radio will be fine for both hovercraft/boats and planes. Note this isn't true for older radios where, in many countries, different radio frequencies are/were required to be used for aircraft and for surface craft (like boats or hovercraft).

For advice on hovercraft design/construction try the RC Hovercrafts forum .
http://www.rcgroups.com/rc-hovercrafts-556/

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
If you go with spektrum you can buy an air radio but use a marine specific receiver. Something about water reflection affecting some systems.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
OK, sounds good one more question about powering the RX

Hi again, to power the AR6210 Spectrum RX I understand you can just plug a set of batteries (3.5-9.5V) into the BIND/BATT jack on the RX. However I'll probably put together my own powerpack of 4 batteries. So in that case how would I know which of the pins is + and -, because the pictures in the manual's I downloaded are no good...it's probably written on the RX but I can't see it on the pictures?

Sometimes they also say you might have to add more battery packs if you have more than one high torque servo and are drawing over 3A. I guess in that case it sounds like you can plug another battery pack into one of the servo ports?

THanks!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorman3 View Post
Hi again, to power the AR6210 Spectrum RX I understand you can just plug a set of batteries (3.5-9.5V) into the BIND/BATT jack on the RX. However I'll probably put together my own powerpack of 4 batteries. So in that case how would I know which of the pins is + and -, because the pictures in the manual's I downloaded are no good...it's probably written on the RX but I can't see it on the pictures?

Sometimes they also say you might have to add more battery packs if you have more than one high torque servo and are drawing over 3A. I guess in that case it sounds like you can plug another battery pack into one of the servo ports?

THanks!
Although the receiver may be able to take higher voltages, most servos are designed to operate on 4.8 to 6 volts (nominal). The common sources are 4 or 5 cell NiMH batteries, or and ESC with built in BEC (voltage regulator) that provides 5 volts. Don't apply higher voltages without determining the voltage limits of you servos.

The order of connections is standard for all modern radios and has the positive wire in the middle. This means plugging in the wrong way round doesn't hurt anything. The order is clearly marked on the receiver.

You don't "add battery packs," you use one power source that is adequate.

These questions are going off in all directions. You need to do some reading and to have a much more focused goal, such as a particular hovercraft design. All these radio questions can be addressed later when you know what you want to control.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
I thought RC was supposed to be fun 8-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
You don't "add battery packs," you use one power source that is adequate.
These questions are going off in all directions. You need to do some reading and to have a much more focused goal, such as a particular hovercraft design. All these radio questions can be addressed later when you know what you want to control.
OK man, sorry I didn't know I needed objectives and timelines and deadlines, maybe after "58 years of RC" I might. Anyway your answer is wrong, you can add packs if you need more power, you can plug more than one RX power supply into most of the ports of the spectrum RX's as long as they all have the same voltage which helps. From the manual: "Consequently, if your system draws more than three amps continuous or five amps for short durations, a single battery pack with a single switch harness plugged into the receiver for power will be inadequate. It will be necessary to use multiple packs with multiple switches and multiple leads plugged into the receiver."
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,499 Posts
I didn't say you can't use multiple packs, I said you don't. I should have said "normally" because of course for specialized applications with very large aircraft, dual batteries are often used. As well, you can use battery packs in parallel, but it's generally an inconvenient way to do things. Not understanding what you are trying to do, we have to generalize.

I apologize for the way I put it, but what was frustrating me was that it's hard to answer such questions in the abstract. Unless we have some idea of what sort and size of machine you are planning, we can't really offer useful advice. For example, you mention high torque servos, but roughly how high? Anyway, I'm trying to be helpful but it's sometimes difficult.

Try again and I'll try to help
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jun 24, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,480 Posts
"Anyway, I'm trying to be helpful but it's sometimes difficult."

When one has no clue, it is extrordinaly difficult to frame a question so others understand.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda