HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Question
Which 4 channel UM plane for novice

In doubt a bit. I want a UM plane as my first plane since I don't have much space where I live. I never flew a plane before but I can comfortable fly figure 8's with my Blade Mcpx helicopter and my quadcopters.
Should I still stick with a 3 channel Hobbyzone Champ or just jump to a Parkzone micro model. I think with some care I should be able to handle the latter.
If I choose a 4 channel micro, which models are the most easy ones to pick?
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Dec 2007
59 Posts
I can say that I fly a Beast, Sbach, and a modified p-51. In tight areas, I still actually find myself flying the champ on a regular basis. Frankly, I'd get one just because it really is just about the easiest thing to fly on the planet, and that makes it fun! You can fly it, and talk to people, and not really worry that it will fall out of the sky... it pretty much flies itself. It is also a great plane to put into the hands of your friends who say 'oh, can i try?'. If you look on here you should be able to find one used fairly cheap.

If you're absolutely going to go the 4ch route, i'd suggest the t-28. i had one for a while, and it was stable to fly, but i ended up getting rid of it -- please note: the t-28 was docile and easy, so is the champ. i kept the champ!
theskunk is offline Find More Posts by theskunk
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Interesting. Why did you favor the Champ over the T-28 if they are both docile?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The T-28 only needs a little more space than a Champ. Except for the discontinued Extra 300 all of the other 4 channel UM planes need more space than a T-28.

The T-28 is the best DSM2 4 channel for beginners, so far.

The Extra 300 will easily fly in 1/2 the space of a champ, but it is not for people new to 4 channels... though is perfect for those wanting to learn 3-D aerobatics.

As far as the Champ/T-28 comparison, the Champ is just a fun plane to fly. It glides perfect and can really turn tight. The T-28 is more fragile, the wings flex alot and it doesn't land itself like a champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
The Champ is a keeper for me too. It was the 22nd plane that I bought and I wish it would have been the first. It is the plane that I fly most often because I can fly it right from home anytime I've got even 5 minutes. And they are stress free minutes just cruizing around low and slow or fun times looping,flying inverted or playing with the birds. I have flown my t 28, polecat, and v1 Beast off the street in front of the house too but they need too much concentration to fly in tighter areas.It can be done but there is too much pucker factor and not enough of the fun factor to do it often.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Such ashame there seems to be no 4 channel micro cub which binds to my DX6i. That would be the best option in between the Champ and the T-28 I guess..
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Such ashame there seems to be no 4 channel micro cub which binds to my DX6i. That would be the best option in between the Champ and the T-28 I guess..
There is, but its $170 USD: the Carbon Cub.

Horizon discovered a while back what I did when I put Ailerons on a UM Cub... it doesn't fly all that good unless you put lots of differential in the aileron travel (more up than down).

When my son flew my 4 channel J-3, the first thing he said was "it's not turning!!!!" He'd flown a UM Sukhoi many times, so it wasn't the first time he'd flown a 4 channel plane, either.

High wing planes that are inherently stable and easy to fly, also have adverse yaw issues, which makes them not easy to fly with ailerons... they won't go where you point it, which is bad for beginners.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
There seem to be some issues with the Carbon Cub SS. Why I want to skip 3 channel airplanes is the same why I will not recommend to start with a 3 channel helicopter. You learn certain things the wrong way. In Realflight I'm comfortable with most planes. I use ailerons for steering and only a bit of rudder. I'm afraid that with a 3 channel plane I will constantly try to use aileron which is not there. That's why I want to jump to 4 channel the first place. Not doing 3D but just slow circuits and try to land a bit near where i planned to land. I noticed that landing is by far the most difficult part in the beginning.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Rudder on a champ is like ailerons on a low wing 4 channel plane. it actually rolls the plane.

The Rudder on the Champ is on the Aileron Channel, so what you don't learn is using the rudder stick.

To teach the rudder stick, mix rudder to ailerons and reduce the aileron throw on a switch (so you can switch it off if you'd like), then you have to use the rudder stick to taxi, line up with runway, etc... all things you would use the rudder for on a 4 channel plane.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize the rudder is on right stick (mode 2). In that case it doesn't really matter if I go for the Cub first.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:46 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Ah, I didn't realize the rudder is on right stick (mode 2). In that case it doesn't really matter if I go for the Cub first.
A really good choice!

I fly mine with my DX8 and I have about 15% down elevator mixed with throttle. Flies really nice.

I love my Carbon Cub also and I mix 40 or 50% rudder with the ailerons. It flies very nice, but it won't spin or snap roll! I also have down elevator mixed with throttle.

I find the Carbon Cub very nice to fly but the Champ is probably a better place to start.

I've also got the J3 but it can be a little harder to fly if you want to try for scale like flight.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug