to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:44 PM
Prague, Czech_Republic
Joined Aug 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatnbugs View Post
Help!!

I'm frustrated and a little discouraged.
I received my Arduino Nano and sensor board the other day and went to work building my HT. Went through all the software and firmware steps and all went well. The HT responds to movement as shown on the graphs when connected via USB to the computer. I built a nice little box to contain everything and plugged it into my radio and the lights came on but no response from the servos. I was getting a crazy light show from the arduino's LEDs that I could manipulate by putting my fingers close to the wiring so I deduced that the radio was interfering with the signal. I replaced the wiring with some shielded wire and that cured the light show but still no response from the servos. I am using a Hitec Laser 6. it's a little older 7200 MHz radio but works great. I read that at least one person had to hold the trainer switch for the HT to function. I tried this and I did get some movement from the servo controlling pan that sometimes followed my movement with the HT but it was random and jittery and again I had random LEDs flashing on the HT. Even if that had worked, it disables the other radio controls so would be impractical. Can someone give me some advice or direction?
I know this is a jumble of information but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bary
Hi!
I just completed my HT and it finally works with my 35 MHz Hitec Optic 6.
Few points to think about:

1) My Hitec use on the trainer port logic levels of supply voltage (i.e. about 10V) so I had to make logic level converter on both input and output. Do you understand such things and can you measure it and build it?

2) My Hitec always provides PPM out on Pin 2 of trainter port (big round 6 poles plug) - to add additional channels from HT you have to connect it to Arduino PPM input (it should be pin D2 but for my Arduino pro mini it was D8. Don' ask my why - and try both - but don't forget reduce signal from 10 to 5 volts.Ground is on the plug shielding and central pin. Supply voltage for HT can be obtained on pin 1.

3) My Hitec receives PPM in on the pin 3 of trainter port but only when trainer swich is pulled so for using HT you need to lock it in the top position or replace with toggle switch. This signal completely overrides internal generated signal so you have to read the original PPM, "copy" first 4-6 channels with your stick spositions and append your HT signals to it. This HT is capable of it when you set #DEFINE PPM_IN 1 ind the config.h. Output of expanded PPM is on D9 of arduino. Don't forget some ciruit to raise logic levels from 5 to 10 volts.

4) Proper function of the HT depends critically on proper calibration of all 3 sensors - follow this thread and help in the attached programs.

Now I don't have enough time to write everything step by step. Try alone to get further and when you can't get over some step, write again and I'll try to help you some other day when I have more time.
Good luck!
Roman
RBirdie001 is offline Find More Posts by RBirdie001
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:12 PM
I don't really eat bugs
United States, UT, North Ogden
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBirdie001 View Post
Hi!
I just completed my HT and it finally works with my 35 MHz Hitec Optic 6.
Few points to think about:

1) My Hitec use on the trainer port logic levels of supply voltage (i.e. about 10V) so I had to make logic level converter on both input and output. Do you understand such things and can you measure it and build it?

2) My Hitec always provides PPM out on Pin 2 of trainter port (big round 6 poles plug) - to add additional channels from HT you have to connect it to Arduino PPM input (it should be pin D2 but for my Arduino pro mini it was D8. Don' ask my why - and try both - but don't forget reduce signal from 10 to 5 volts.Ground is on the plug shielding and central pin. Supply voltage for HT can be obtained on pin 1.

3) My Hitec receives PPM in on the pin 3 of trainter port but only when trainer swich is pulled so for using HT you need to lock it in the top position or replace with toggle switch. This signal completely overrides internal generated signal so you have to read the original PPM, "copy" first 4-6 channels with your stick spositions and append your HT signals to it. This HT is capable of it when you set #DEFINE PPM_IN 1 ind the config.h. Output of expanded PPM is on D9 of arduino. Don't forget some ciruit to raise logic levels from 5 to 10 volts.

4) Proper function of the HT depends critically on proper calibration of all 3 sensors - follow this thread and help in the attached programs.

Now I don't have enough time to write everything step by step. Try alone to get further and when you can't get over some step, write again and I'll try to help you some other day when I have more time.
Good luck!
Roman

Roman

Thank you very much for taking the time and being willing to help me. Unfortunately most of what you explained is beyond my current understanding of how RC radios function and interface with this head tracker so I will definitely need some more explanation when you have time.

1. I have a multi-tester and have tried to measure the voltage between pin 1(switched V) and 6 (ground) of the trainer port but it jumps around so I assumed it must not be a constant voltage so to answer your question if it requires an oscilloscope or something more than a multi tester then no I can not read it. and no I do not know how build a logic level converter but with some instruction I am capable of building one.

2. Lets see if I understand this part. Are you saying that I need a wire from PPM out (trainer port pin 2) to Arduino pin D2 or D8(if D2 doesn't work) because I need to send a signal from the Tx to the Arduino?

3. This section will definitely require more explanation but lets see if I understand any of it. So when you pull the trainer switch the internally generated signals are blocked from from being transmitted but are output to the trainer port? Are the internally generated signals the "original PPM" that you mentioned? Is the internally generated signal processed through the arduino and then sent back through the Tx via the trainer port and then transmitted to the receiver?
This part I did not understand at all.

"you have to read the original PPM, "copy" first 4-6 channels with your stick spositions and append your HT signals to it. This HT is capable of it when you set #DEFINE PPM_IN 1 ind the config.h."

Is this done in the code or is there an option in the DIY Headtracker program for this?

4. I think I can figure out the calibration if I can just get that far.

Thanks again and I hope you have some more time to help again soon
Eatnbugs is offline Find More Posts by Eatnbugs
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:31 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Is it possible tu use this headtracker with simulators on the computer? I know I could plug it in to a usb doungle, but a direct USB solution would be much better.
Hasi is offline Find More Posts by Hasi
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
Germany, SA, MD
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
Have anyone ported the Code from Dennis for the Fatshark V4 Headtracker?

I need a Tracker without this new "Auto Disengage" feature.....
ApoC is offline Find More Posts by ApoC
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:15 PM
Prague, Czech_Republic
Joined Aug 2010
90 Posts
How to connect this Headtracker to a Hitec radio

I succesfully interfaced this head tracker to my 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 radio and because it wasn't that easy, maybe it can help to others (hopefully also to you, Eatnbugs... )
First I warn you that I did it only once on MY radio so I can't guarantee that it will work for you exactly as is!

I found that my Hitec Optic 6 outputs battery supply voltage (between 9-11V depending on the battery condition) to pin1 (so you can use it to power your HT) and six channel PPM signal to pin 2 of the trainer port, ground is on the shielding and cetral pin 6.
PPM goes out always when radio is on, i.e. even when the trainer swith is pulled up. PPM has logic 1 at full supply voltage (i.e. about 10 Volts!!!)

PPM input from head tracker needs to be connected to pin 3, I suppose that here Hitec radios use the same logic levels (i.e. ~10V for log. 1).
This input works ONLY when the trainer switch is UP but please note that in this situation internal PPM signal is disconnected so when you connect only output of your HT to pin 3 (and GND to GND) your transmitter will use only HT generated signal so channels 1-6 will be on fixed values defined in the HT code and channels 7-8 will carry HT PAN and TILT signals.
I think this is the situation you have Eatnbugs, right?)

If you want to transmit also channels 1-6 generated from your radio sticks and switches, you have to activate in the config.h #define PPM_IN 1 and wire PPM OUT from your radio (pin2) to HT Arduino PPM input which should be pin D2 but for me worked only D8 and not D2. (I don't understand why - can someone explain, please??? I don't understand code good enough to find why)
Head tracker then reads channels 1-6 from radio (pin2), internally it copies to output (Arduino D9) with appended your HT PAN and TILT so result is 8 channel PPM with AIL,ELE,THRO,RUDD,SW1,SW2,PAN,TILT which you should wire to trainer port pin 3 (This is an example for my configuration, of course it can differ for you. I put it here to make things 100% clean )

Good test if your radio works the same way as mine when you don't have scope is:
Move sticks of your TX and observe your plane on the ground. (use a glider or REMOVE PROPELLER !!!). Servos should move according the sticks movement
Then pull trainer switch (with nothing in trainer plug) and you should loose control.

Then bridge pins 2-3 of the trainer plug with a piece of wire. Test again and you should have control in BOTH positions of trainer (in top position PPM goes OUT and back IN unchanged.

If this works, you can try connect HT as drawn in my simple drawing.
Extra components are to adapt logic levels of Hitec to Arduino ones.

It's good to measure signals first using the scope but if you don't have one, you can just measure by digital voltmeter DC voltage on pin 2 and if its higher than 5V, your radio probably uses high logic voltage levels and you should use also the extra components to adjust it.
Logic level conversion circuit I created as simple as possible, for me it works perfectly but of course you can invent something else.

When you then want to fly with Head tracker, you must have trainer switch always UP. This can be done by some rubber band or simply replace trainer switch in your radio with a toggle one.
Be aware, that with trainer switch UP you have to ALWAYS have HT connected to the trainer, otherwise you will loose the control!
I hope that will be sufficient even for non-electrician to succeed and help someone.
Good luck!
Roman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
HOL
Danmark, Midtjylland, Galten
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC View Post
Have anyone ported the Code from Dennis for the Fatshark V4 Headtracker?

I need a Tracker without this new "Auto Disengage" feature.....
Try to contact kristaps_r here on RCG. He made a PCB for Dennis' tracker that fits in the sharks.
HOL is offline Find More Posts by HOL
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:41 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
665 Posts
Hi Guys,

Yes I have them. Not sure what is Fatshark V4 Headtracker but it fits Dominators and is compatible with original Fatshark HT pins.
Fatshark predator V2 also have place to put HT inside, but you have to dissemble goggles.
More info in my blog.

Kristaps
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Very impressive Roman. I need to get a simple o'scope and figure out some of these options. I had completely forgot that older radios simply pass the raw PPM data through the trainer port. I wonder if the code could be modified to intercept the first four channel positions and substitute HT data for 5 and 6.

Please think about starting another thread with these details before it vanishes into this thread.

Quote:
I succesfully interfaced this head tracker to my 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 radio and because it wasn't that easy, maybe it can help to others...

Good luck!
Roman
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:08 PM
Prague, Czech_Republic
Joined Aug 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince77 View Post
Very impressive Roman. I need to get a simple o'scope and figure out some of these options. I had completely forgot that older radios simply pass the raw PPM data through the trainer port. I wonder if the code could be modified to intercept the first four channel positions and substitute HT data for 5 and 6.

Please think about starting another thread with these details before it vanishes into this thread.
Hi!
Yes, this HT is capable of adding 1-3 channels to any number of original channels.Iit seems to me, that HT should autodetect number of channels and assign just behind it, rest can be done by configuration.
I don't think this worth for opening new thread - it's nothing so special and additionally - thread when is inactive probably vanishes as well.
We will see what will be responses...
Roman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:04 PM
I don't really eat bugs
United States, UT, North Ogden
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
I succesfully interfaced this head tracker to my 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 radio and because it wasn't that easy, maybe it can help to others (hopefully also to you, Eatnbugs... )
First I warn you that I did it only once on MY radio so I can't guarantee that it will work for you exactly as is!

I found that my Hitec Optic 6 outputs battery supply voltage (between 9-11V depending on the battery condition) to pin1 (so you can use it to power your HT) and six channel PPM signal to pin 2 of the trainer port, ground is on the shielding and cetral pin 6.
PPM goes out always when radio is on, i.e. even when the trainer swith is pulled up. PPM has logic 1 at full supply voltage (i.e. about 10 Volts!!!)

PPM input from head tracker needs to be connected to pin 3, I suppose that here Hitec radios use the same logic levels (i.e. ~10V for log. 1).
This input works ONLY when the trainer switch is UP but please note that in this situation internal PPM signal is disconnected so when you connect only output of your HT to pin 3 (and GND to GND) your transmitter will use only HT generated signal so channels 1-6 will be on fixed values defined in the HT code and channels 7-8 will carry HT PAN and TILT signals.
I think this is the situation you have Eatnbugs, right?)

If you want to transmit also channels 1-6 generated from your radio sticks and switches, you have to activate in the config.h #define PPM_IN 1 and wire PPM OUT from your radio (pin2) to HT Arduino PPM input which should be pin D2 but for me worked only D8 and not D2. (I don't understand why - can someone explain, please??? I don't understand code good enough to find why)
Head tracker then reads channels 1-6 from radio (pin2), internally it copies to output (Arduino D9) with appended your HT PAN and TILT so result is 8 channel PPM with AIL,ELE,THRO,RUDD,SW1,SW2,PAN,TILT which you should wire to trainer port pin 3 (This is an example for my configuration, of course it can differ for you. I put it here to make things 100% clean )

Good test if your radio works the same way as mine when you don't have scope is:
Move sticks of your TX and observe your plane on the ground. (use a glider or REMOVE PROPELLER !!!). Servos should move according the sticks movement
Then pull trainer switch (with nothing in trainer plug) and you should loose control.

Then bridge pins 2-3 of the trainer plug with a piece of wire. Test again and you should have control in BOTH positions of trainer (in top position PPM goes OUT and back IN unchanged.

If this works, you can try connect HT as drawn in my simple drawing.
Extra components are to adapt logic levels of Hitec to Arduino ones.

It's good to measure signals first using the scope but if you don't have one, you can just measure by digital voltmeter DC voltage on pin 2 and if its higher than 5V, your radio probably uses high logic voltage levels and you should use also the extra components to adjust it.
Logic level conversion circuit I created as simple as possible, for me it works perfectly but of course you can invent something else.

When you then want to fly with Head tracker, you must have trainer switch always UP. This can be done by some rubber band or simply replace trainer switch in your radio with a toggle one.
Be aware, that with trainer switch UP you have to ALWAYS have HT connected to the trainer, otherwise you will loose the control!
I hope that will be sufficient even for non-electrician to succeed and help someone.
Good luck!
Roman
Roman

Thank you sooooooo much for taking the time to write this up an make this information available to those of us who are struggling with it. I'll gather up the materials and give this another shot this weekend.

Again thank you.

Bary
Eatnbugs is offline Find More Posts by Eatnbugs
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroSK View Post
Hi,
who know what I did wrong ? Pls, look on my video, rotation about one axis is ok, but rotation about the second axis is different, servo always return to original position. Is it normal or something is wrong ? HW ? or sw calibration ?

thanks
Jaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-vP...ature=youtu.be
Try it.
Replace the address in the accelerometer
sensors.cpp
instead
# define ADXL345_ADDR (0x53) / / The adress of ADXL345
write
#define ADXL345_ADDRESS 0x1D
hatuul is offline Find More Posts by hatuul
Last edited by hatuul; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Need help!

Hi to all!

I have FatShark Predator V2 and to add HT to it I bought arduino board from kistaps_r and IMU: http://dx.com/p/gy-85-6dof-9dof-imu-...arduino-148436

All went OK, uploaded sketch, buzzer from glasses work, button for resetting position works.

Calibrated gyro, acc and mag, in GUI all works fine, set PPM and uploaded config.

After that I made cable for my Turnigy 9x with Open9x as on picture, measured with multimeter around 4v between GND and PPM

Added PPM1 and PPM2 to mix but nothing, even tried PPM1-8 and nothing. They don't move!

I don't have oscilloscope to check PPM output but tried with SmartPropo+ on mic input and first 3 channels move but sometimes jump randomly around.

Please help
isvedic is offline Find More Posts by isvedic
Last edited by isvedic; Feb 07, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:29 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isvedic View Post
Hi to all!

I have FatShark Predator V2 and to add HT to it I bought arduino board from kistaps_r and IMU: http://dx.com/p/gy-85-6dof-9dof-imu-...arduino-148436

All went OK, uploaded sketch, buzzer from glasses work, button for resetting position works.

Calibrated gyro, acc and mag, in GUI all works fine, set PPM and uploaded config.

After that I made cable for my Turnigy 9x with Open9x as on picture, measured with multimeter around 4v between GND and PPM

Added PPM1 and PPM2 to mix but nothing, even tried PPM1-8 and nothing. They don't move!

I don't have oscilloscope to check PPM output but tried with SmartPropo+ on mic input and first 3 channels move but sometimes jump randomly around.

Please help
Hi.

I have ER9X firmware but it looks like it is OK. Don't know if PPM input should be enabled somewhere.

You should use trainer cable with 9x turned ON before cable plugged. Using trainer port when 9X turned off usually will give PPM out not in.

Don't know exactly schematic but maybe you can try ground wire like here:

And one more thing to try to check if there is short between PPM out pin and something else. You can upload sketch attached that will pulse PPM out pin ON/OFF with 2 seconds interval. You can then measure it with multimeter and should get 5V and 0V periodically.
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Thanks!

It works now!

I made 2 mistakes:
1. GND connected wrong
2. 3.5mm jack loosing connection
isvedic is offline Find More Posts by isvedic