HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
There is a slightly cheaper IMU here http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gy-85-sen...u-sensor-.html looks exactly the same

The cheapest arduino nano I've seen is here http://www.buyincoins.com/details/ar...uct-10178.html

Both have free shipping, I haven't used the second vendor but the first one delivered some similar cheap electronics as advertised
Even cheaper, amazing
It's a small difference in price, but still a bit cheaper.

Thanks for sharing.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
just ordered one of those sensor boards. I am a total arduino noob but i will play around with this for a bit. I want to add a switch to be able to turn on and off the headtracker in flight.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:25 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
just ordered one of those sensor boards. I am a total arduino noob but i will play around with this for a bit. I want to add a switch to be able to turn on and off the headtracker in flight.
Sounds great. It's shouldn't be too difficult even for your first Arduino project

I have been pretty busy lately (as usual ), but I plan to write a quick "beginners-guide".

The switch is already on my "to-do list".
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 05, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Okay, quick little "start guide".

You should have:
1 x Arduino Nano or similar
1 x IMU/sensor board
  1. First, lets assemble some hardware. It's pretty straight forward.

The connections are:
    Sensorboard Arduino
    Vcc_in -> 5 volt
    GND -> Ground/GND
    SCL -> A5
    SDA -> A4

Transmitter Arduino
    PPM_IN -> D9
    V_out -> V_in
    Ground -> Ground/GND

And that's it.

The placement of the board is pretty much up to you. But please remember that the magnetometer is pretty sensitive. Even small currents nearby will cause a magnetic field. If it's a constant field, chances are you can calibrate it, but please be aware of this problem.

The board can be placed on top of Arduino, on buttom, on the side or just where-ever you want by using long wires.

The pins match pretty good, so you can just connect it directly. The only pin that doesn't match is ground.

Quick pictures of the easy configuration. Please note that I haven't tested if the positions close to the electronic is a problem.

Placed underneath the Arduino board:

On the side:

On top:

The only wire needed for the sensor-board is ground:
    (Here just shown as a quick test with nothing soldered but fully working)

Choose your preferred location and solder the sensorboard.
  2. Download Arduino IDE from http://arduino.cc/hu/Main/Software (should be version 1 or higher)
  3. Connect your Arduino board
  4. If the driver is installed automatic, just continue. If not, select the folder called "Driver" inside the Arduino IDE folder
  5. Download the latest headtracker-software from http://code.google.com/p/open-headtracker/
  6. Open Arduino IDE (the program), Select file -> Open, find the headtracker software downloaded and open the file DIY_headtracker.ino
  7. You should now have a window looking pretty much like this:

8. Go to tools -> Board and select "Arduino Nano w/Atmega328
  9. Go to tools -> Serial port -> Select the com-port used by Arduino (you should remember the port-number for later use in the GUI).
  10. Press the left-arrow in Arduino IDE to upload, or select file -> Upload, or press Ctrl + u.
  11. Hopefully it starts to upload the firmware. It should flash the LED's quickly for
    a while, and stop when the upload/programming is complete.
  12. Now find the file Headtracker_GUI_v0_02.exe in the file downloaded from google-code and open it.
  13. Set the com-port to match the one found/used in Arduino IDE. Press connect. If the program crash, you have must likely selected a wrong com-port or the com-port is used by another program such as Arduino IDE.
  14. Press the button "start plot". If everything works, you will see 3 live graphs with pan/tilt/roll.
  15. Set the necessary settings.

Hopefully that's it, and you are ready to go.

Some known problems/limitations that I will look into:
  • The headtracker calibrates itself on every start-up. This means that the headtracker should not be moved the first couple of seconds
  • The camera will take a full turn left and right while starting-up
  • The sensorboard must be orientated with the components up.
  • The sensorboard's magnetometer have 2 axis swapped, y and z (only a problem if you look closer at the code)
  • Nothing in the GUI is "idiot proof". It will accept more or less everything and just do it.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 05, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:41 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Dennis,

Well done!
I am waiting my sensor, 4 weeks to go

How about OpenDiyHT ??
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:57 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Dennis,

Well done!
I am waiting my sensor, 4 weeks to go

How about OpenDiyHT ??
Thanks!
There is still quite a few minor details I would like to implement/improve, but unfortunately time is a limiting factor

I'm going on vacation in a few days and will be gone for 2 weeks, chances are you will have the hardware when I get home again.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:32 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
I have a JR and a Futaba TX, if I wanted to make my tracker work with both, could I power it with a 5V BEC and just connect the PPM IN to D9 and not use the GND (and 5V for Futaba) from the trainer port?
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:18 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Dennis, this is a really great update, and is much needed by people like me. Do you think you could copy and paste it into one of your early posts so it's easy to find? Thanks again!

Subsonic.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:42 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Guys,

I'm waiting on my parts, but am trying to get my head around the software. I have loaded the Arduion IDE and have opened the sketch no problems. When I try to open Headtracker_GUI_v0_02 though, I get this message:

".NET Framework Initialization Error

To run this application, you furst must install onw of the following .NET Framework: v4.0.30319 Contact your application publisher for instructions on about obtaining teh appropriate version of teh .NET Framework"

I'm running Windows XP, SP4 on this machine, but get the same error when trying to run the GUI on another machine running Windows 7

Any ideas?

Sub.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Update: I found the problem.

Found and installed the .NET Framework called dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64

All works as expected now, and the GUI is up and running
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:36 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Dennis, this is a really great update, and is much needed by people like me. Do you think you could copy and paste it into one of your early posts so it's easy to find? Thanks again!

Subsonic.
Thanks. I will update post #1 with the same info.

Quote:
Update: I found the problem.

Found and installed the .NET Framework called dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64

All works as expected now, and the GUI is up and running
Great to hear. And yes, you need .NET framework.
Does the GUI make sense? I have been thinking about making a simple one, but not sure if it's necessary.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Thanks. I will update post #1 with the same info.

Great to hear. And yes, you need .NET framework.
Does the GUI make sense? I have been thinking about making a simple one, but not sure if it's necessary.
Well, maybe better if I advise after I get the hardware and try and program it. The software works, that's all I can say.

Promise I'll keep you posted
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:14 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Well, maybe better if I advise after I get the hardware and try and program it. The software works, that's all I can say.

Promise I'll keep you posted
Perfect
I'll make a very quick and dirty application for calibrating magnetometer before going on vacation. Should be enough to get you people going
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:15 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Has anyone got any experience flying fpv with a 3 axis camera gimball?

This new headtracker opens up a new axis, in the camera roll. I'm into FPV in an attempt to replicate the full scale flying experience, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried coupling roll with pan and tilt to make the FPV experience even more immersive.

I've got an idea for a simple 3 axis camera mechanism, but has anyone tried it already?

Sub....
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:45 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Sometime ago somebody build already a 3 axis camera gimbal.

but you will need a plane or copter with level mode, else you will have quite problems to fly.
In the plane you can feel the angles, on the ground, we use just the camera image to know how we are flying.

but this headtracker opens the possibility to use as a controller, to steer the plane with it.
Just this HT in the hand, flip the trainer switch and fly the plane with your hand.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000