HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,199 Posts
Ok, so Arduino Nano v3.0 ordered from DX is fixed.
Problem indeed was bootloader but the AVR programmer i was using was not supported by Arduino IDE and flashing with software supplied with this programmer didn't do the job due to unknown fuse's that should be set for Arduino Nano.
Usbasp programmer from HobbyKing was not detected properly by OS but during one of the tries it suddenly started working.
Burning bootloader from Arduino IDE however did the job.
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:37 AM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
Ok, so Arduino Nano v3.0 ordered from DX is fixed.
Problem indeed was bootloader but the AVR programmer i was using was not supported by Arduino IDE and flashing with software supplied with this programmer didn't do the job due to unknown fuse's that should be set for Arduino Nano.
Usbasp programmer from HobbyKing was not detected properly by OS but during one of the tries it suddenly started working.
Burning bootloader from Arduino IDE however did the job.
I am glad it works now!

So the problem was that boot loader did not take.

Yes!
Always use Arduino to upload boot loader, just to be sure!

Now comes the fun part!
Gabek is offline Find More Posts by Gabek
Last edited by Gabek; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Here's a video showing the DFHT in action on the ground:

Dennis Frie Zero-Drift Headtracker (0 min 38 sec)
capn is offline Find More Posts by capn
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post

http://youtu.be/TsOUW7pCkDk
Looks really good, and with the same performance I hoped everyone was able to get

It's great to see a few of you still get some good headtrackers.
Thanks a lot for sharing the video!

Still pretty clueless to what's causing all the troubles some people have experienced.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:51 PM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Hi Dennis. I might try an IMU from Sparkfun. Which one would you recommend in this list?

https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/160
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Looks really good, and with the same performance I hoped everyone was able to get

It's great to see a few of you still get some good headtrackers.
Thanks a lot for sharing the video!

Still pretty clueless to what's causing all the troubles some people have experienced.
Thanks, Dennis - I owe it all to you! Your creation has made it fun for me to fly fpv again!

Anyway, I think that the biggest problem that people are having (based on my own problems) is that you have to remember to keep any wires from lying near any of the sensors on the GY-85. Also, if you could update your magnetometer calibration pictures in the GUI that would help - since I have been calibrating with the GY-85 components facing up in the first picture instead of the way you show it, I have had no problems making the headtracker work. The third one I built took about 10 minutes to calibrate and worked perfectly as soon as I was done. The strange thing is that I thought that I had two bad sensors, since I couldn't get them to work at all the first time around. It turns out that I was able to get all three of them working great...but, I didn't buy any components from DX.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
fpvmania is offline Find More Posts by fpvmania
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEREE View Post
Hi Dennis. I might try an IMU from Sparkfun. Which one would you recommend in this list?

Hi Weree, have you not been able to get the GY-85 to work for you? I was told by another member here that the sparkfun 9DOF sensor board was junk. I too, was looking at using one of them to see if I could get better results, and that's when the other user pm'd me and told me that they were not very good.

capn
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:

As long as you have a descent gyro, you should be fine. Accelerometer and magnetometer are mainly used to slowly account for drift. No need to use the best performing and most expensive sensors for this purpose.

Quote:
Thanks, Dennis - I owe it all to you! Your creation has made it fun for me to fly fpv again!

Anyway, I think that the biggest problem that people are having (based on my own problems) is that you have to remember to keep any wires from lying near any of the sensors on the GY-85. Also, if you could update your magnetometer calibration pictures in the GUI that would help - since I have been calibrating with the GY-85 components facing up in the first picture instead of the way you show it, I have had no problems making the headtracker work. The third one I built took about 10 minutes to calibrate and worked perfectly as soon as I was done. The strange thing is that I thought that I had two bad sensors, since I couldn't get them to work at all the first time around. It turns out that I was able to get all three of them working great...but, I didn't buy any components from DX.
Yes, the magnetometer is quite sensitive to all magnetic fields. It's quite annoying, but a magnetometer is the only way to account for drift on pan (as far as I know).

I'll consider to update the GUI with new pictures when I get some more sparetime, have been quite overwhelmed with work lately and also worked on a few other projects
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Hi Weree, have you not been able to get the GY-85 to work for you? I was told by another member here that the sparkfun 9DOF sensor board was junk. I too, was looking at using one of them to see if I could get better results, and that's when the other user pm'd me and told me that they were not very good.
Unfortunately, I'm still getting only one axis working and the other axis re-centers on its own problem.

I'm just reading today that calibration should be done with the headtracker exactly where it would be used on the video goggles. Due to the possibility of magnetics fields coming from the video goggles themselves. I have only done calibration off the goggles.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm still getting only one axis working and the other axis re-centers on its own problem.

I'm just reading today that calibration should be done with the headtracker exactly where it would be used on the video goggles. Due to the possibility of magnetics fields coming from the video goggles themselves. I have only done calibration off the goggles.
Okay, I was having the same problems with trackers that I eventually got working just fine, so it must be something that you are doing differently. The mounting hole for the GY-85 should be mounted to your goggles in such a way that it is to the right and rear of the goggles. The sensor should be mounted to the center of rotation of the goggles though, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps you could post a video of your calibration procedure?

capn
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
I do RVP
Joined Dec 2008
463 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I was having the same problems with trackers that I eventually got working just fine, so it must be something that you are doing differently. The mounting hole for the GY-85 should be mounted to your goggles in such a way that it is to the right and rear of the goggles. The sensor should be mounted to the center of rotation of the goggles though, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps you could post a video of your calibration procedure?
I'll try the calibration again tonight using your suggestions. If it doesn't work, I'll see if I can upload a video of the calibration. Its all in the little details...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
get a good programmer - http://www.atmel.com/tools/avrispmkii.aspx?tab=devices
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,199 Posts
Now just need to add roll servo
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:52 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/TsOUW7pCkDk
CAPN, Very nice! Where did you get your wiring (cables)? I likr the thin cables and th molded connectors.
jbfoamy is offline Find More Posts by jbfoamy