HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
Foamy Scratchbuilder
Finland, Pirkanmaa, TRE
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Okay, I dont know what I did, but I made it worse... Now that I move the HT on one axis, tilt, all of the graph lines move... time to go to sleep
EraJomppa is offline Find More Posts by EraJomppa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
Hello Don, Kristaps and other ER9x users.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with programing the HT and use of the trainer function in ER9x?
I understand that I must somehow enable trainer function and only use chanel 7 and 8 but I can't seem to find where and how to do this in the ER9x programming menus...
Any wisdom, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by don9f View Post
1. I have used my headtracker with a DX8 and a Turnigy 9X running ER9X firmware. Both of these work because you configure the "Trainer" function of the transmitter with which PPM inputs to use and which to ignore when the Trainer switch is operated......for example to use channels 7 & 8 for pan & tilt and ignore 1 to 6. The Arduino nano board outputs 8 channels and the GUI lets you set which channels are used for the three axes of the headtracker (you don't have to use all three).
I'm not sure that you can do this with the DX7 but there may be another way ?
In both cases, the headtracker ground & PPM are connected to the Trainer socket but you have to provide +ve power to the headtracker......I do this with a 6v Rx pack.
Neither the DX8 or the Turnigy 9X output any +ve power from their Trainer sockets.

2. Yes

Hope that helps

Cheers Don
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Last edited by pheonix3; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix3 View Post
Hello Don, Kristaps and other ER9x users.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with programing the HT and use of the trainer function in ER9x?
I understand that I must somehow enable trainer function and only use chanel 7 and 8 but I can't seem to find where and how to do this..
Any wisdom, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Matt
EDIT - I have just got the GUI running nicely and all sensors plot well, so (I presume) the board etc is all well. I just need to know how to program my radio!
Please help
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
Foamy Scratchbuilder
Finland, Pirkanmaa, TRE
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
For ER9x:

1. In the GUI just assing the channels to 6,7 and 8 (or any other, doesnt matter, even 1,2 and 3 are fine).

2. In your radio, select (in the "mixer") the channel that you want to use and select the source: select PPM(X), X being the channel you set in the GUI

FOR EXAMPLE:
-You can set the channels iin the GUI like this: pan=1 tilt=2 roll=3
-Your plane uses elevator on channel 1, ailerons on channel 2, throttle on channel 3 and rudder on channel 4.
-You can then assign pan to channel 5 and tilt to channel 6
-do this by going to MIXER, select channel 5, in SOURCE select PPM1, now you have pan on channel 5.
-then assign the tilt by selecting channel 6, in SOURCE you should select PPM2, now you have tilt on channel 6.

Did I explain unclearly enough? Ask and Ill try to explain it better.. This got written in a bit of a haste.

NOTE: you DONT have to even touch the TRAINER menu. I couldnt even figure out how it worked anyway... just do it with selecting the SOURCE as PPM(x), where X is the channel you assigned in the GUI.

PS. gotta try to fix my problem tomorrow, no time today.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,637 Posts
After tidying up the installation of the NDHT I noticed some of the old problems creeping back in like interaction between pan and tilt and drifting so I recalibrated it all over again with the wires in the exact position they are now fixed in and it all came back to proper functioning again.
It does seem extremely sensitive to magnetic influences even when there is a 99/1 ratio of gyro to magnetometer weighting.
It could be that a lot of the trouble when trying this unit out before fixing it to the goggles is stray wires, I think that was part of where I was going wrong at first with this project.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
After tidying up the installation of the NDHT I noticed some of the old problems creeping back in like interaction between pan and tilt and drifting so I recalibrated it all over again with the wires in the exact position they are now fixed in and it all came back to proper functioning again.
It does seem extremely sensitive to magnetic influences even when there is a 99/1 ratio of gyro to magnetometer weighting.
It could be that a lot of the trouble when trying this unit out before fixing it to the goggles is stray wires, I think that was part of where I was going wrong at first with this project.

A.
Great information thanks
It's really hard to tell what's causing the problems people are experiencing, as I have only been able to reproduce the problems myself with bad calibrations.

So it's great with some guidelines or ideas
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Foamy Scratchbuilder
Finland, Pirkanmaa, TRE
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Im not sure what this means but Im guessing its not right.

When I try to calibrate the accelerometers (Iv figured out the axis... dŽoh dum dum me) all of the values above stay at 7096 or so. No matter what I do with it. And the offsets I get are 4043 or so. orientation of the HT doesnt really affect the values at all.

Iv tried pushing the button on arduino board, it sometimes brings the values down, but they soon rise up to 7000 and stay there.

Also in the GUI I get only these 3 sets of 7000ish numbers, but when I press the button on arduino ans press start plot again, there appears the usual row of many sets of numbers, but most of the furst numbers sta the same and only the last two change at all when I move the board about. weird... Iv no idea whats going on.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Mar 2011
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraJomppa View Post
For ER9x:

1. In the GUI just assing the channels to 6,7 and 8 (or any other, doesnt matter, even 1,2 and 3 are fine).

2. In your radio, select (in the "mixer") the channel that you want to use and select the source: select PPM(X), X being the channel you set in the GUI

FOR EXAMPLE:
-Your plane uses elevator on channel 1, ailerons on channel 2, throttle on channel 3 and rudder on channel 4.
-do this by going to MIXER, select channel 5, in SOURCE select PPM1, now you have pan on channel 5.
-then assign the tilt by selecting channel 6, in SOURCE you should select PPM2, now you have tilt on channel 6.

Did I explain unclearly enough? Ask and Ill try to explain it better.. This got written in a bit of a haste.

NOTE: you DONT have to even touch the TRAINER menu. I couldnt even figure out how it worked anyway... just do it with selecting the SOURCE as PPM(x), where X is the channel you assigned in the GUI.

I used this method too and assigned the Trainer switch so the HT only operates when the switch is activated. By assigning the !Trainer (ie when the switch is not activated), to two of the 9X's pots, they operate pan & tilt when you don't want or need the HT.

The process is described in the ER9x manual but the best way to learn is just play with all the options in the MIXER section and test the results, watching servos plugged in to the relevant channels.

Cheers Don
don9f is offline Find More Posts by don9f
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Foamy Scratchbuilder
Finland, Pirkanmaa, TRE
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Here are pictures of my accelerometer calibration. And magnetometer just for reference, it calibrates very nicely.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,637 Posts
EraJomppa,

You are using an old version of Dennis' software, it may be better to download version 05 and use that instead.
Don't forget to run with the sensor board components on the top side and the photos in the mag cal screen show it the wrong way up.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
Thank you :-)

Thank you Era, Don and others :-)
With these clear instructions, I was very quickly able to program the Er9x and got is all working this morning! ...maybe some slepp helped too
Very much appreciated
cheers,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraJomppa View Post
For ER9x:

FOR EXAMPLE:

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Denmark, Syddanmark, Esbjerg
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
How about an on board audio generator that senses throttle position, and outputs the sound of a real engine, straight into the vtx audio input? There are systems around now that put the sound to a big onboard speaker, but that's too bulky for fpv.
Yeah, that would be nice. Should it be V6 or V8, changing exhaust pipe like a loud mufler.

I'm in
hudibras is online now Find More Posts by hudibras
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudibras View Post
Yeah, that would be nice. Should it be V6 or V8, changing exhaust pipe like a loud mufler.

I'm in
You shoot to low

Whats is wrong vith V12
Rolls Royce Merlin static engine run (7 min 15 sec)

Or 50 liter 18 cylinder.
Pratt & Whitney 50 litre 18 cylinder Radial Airplane Engine (2 min 9 sec)

Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:09 AM
Foamy Scratchbuilder
Finland, Pirkanmaa, TRE
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Hmm I downloaded the latest version on the google code page. The gui is version 05 at least.

I calibrated the magnetometer with sensorboard components up, as it has been mentioned before and used the axis written on the sensorboard when calibrating accelerometers but, they seem to be messed up somehow...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:23 AM
KISS
Serbia, Central Serbia, Belgrade
Joined Oct 2009
1,180 Posts
Arduino Nano from DX looks like DOA.
First I thought it was missing bootloader, but that's not the case.
hefest is online now Find More Posts by hefest