HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
I'm thinking of like a rc transmitter (like the turnigy 9x for example), but simpler, arduino based...Basically a ppm generator which would feed into the transmitting module.

I'm getting a few extra 2.4ghz transmitting modules (which came from the 9x)..

Maybe I'll try to reuse that Melih's nunchuck code..
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:58 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Year, you should be finem the hardware is very easy
The board can be directly mounted on Arduino Nano's pins (will upload picture when I get it done) and you just need 3 wires to transmitter.

The GUI etc. should be straight forward.

It's still one of the early software versions - but I don't think much will be changed, as it works pretty well.

*I have just changed the title of the thread, should match better.
My Futaba 10C puts out 8 channels to the PPM Stream. I am putting this to a Dragonlink transmitter.

When you talk about your little side project that is not done yet, do you mean taking the PPM stream from the radio, add the pan and tilt pulse to channel 9 and 10, and output this to the Dragonlink? There would be a wire from the radio, to the headtracker, and from there to the transmitter module?

This would be an awesome feature, as it's amazing how fast you run out of channels on an FPV ship. I'm currently using 8 and could easily use 10

Subsonic.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Last edited by subsonic; Jul 03, 2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: fixed to make it clearer who I'm quoting ;-)
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Is this reply meant for me? If so then no ...I'd just like to build my own diy transmitter (my dream would be the possibility to incorporate a nunchuck and a "gameport joystick")
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:51 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
My Futaba 10C puts out 8 channels to the PPM Stream. I am putting this to a Dragonlink transmitter.

When you talk about your little side project that is not done yet, do you mean taking the PPM stream from the radio, add the pan and tilt pulse to channel 9 and 10, and output this to the Dragonlink? There would be a wire from the radio, to the headtracker, and from there to the transmitter module?

This would be an awesome feature, as it's amazing how fast you run out of channels on an FPV ship. I'm currently using 8 and could easily use 10

Subsonic.
Exactly, that's the idea
You can edit the channel-mapping and select PPM-in channels, headtracker-axis, and add extra potentiometers/contacts etc. if needed. Should make it possible to use all 12-channels .

It's actually already done - but the user interface and merging with the headtracker is not quite done. I'm going on vacation in a few days, but don't have the time to finish it the next couple of days. So for now it will just be the headtracker
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:53 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I'm thinking of like a rc transmitter (like the turnigy 9x for example), but simpler, arduino based...Basically a ppm generator which would feed into the transmitting module.

I'm getting a few extra 2.4ghz transmitting modules (which came from the 9x)..

Maybe I'll try to reuse that Melih's nunchuck code..
Quote:
Is this reply meant for me? If so then no ...I'd just like to build my own diy transmitter (my dream would be the possibility to incorporate a nunchuck and a "gameport joystick")
The "PPM generator" is already done in this project, and you can just read the inputs you use and change the PPM output to match

Not much challenge in that
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Might be a challenge reading stuff from a nunchuck ...I'll start asking you things when I aquire hardware ..its too soon to ask you now.

I looked at that Melih's code, it was like reading chinese

I'm thinking of one variant where the nunchuck would be used for elev, ail & rud...And for throttle I would have to add a sliding pot..so some code to cover that throttle end would also have to be added..
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Might be a challenge reading stuff from a nunchuck ...I'll start asking you things when I aquire hardware ..its too soon to ask you now.
The Nunchuck uses I2C protocol as well. Reading data from the sensorboard is pretty much the same is reading data from the Nunchuck. Just change the I2C adress to match the sensors in nunchuck.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Melih's code is probably not copy-pasteable into your system?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Melih's code is probably not copy-pasteable into your system?
I have no idea
Writing the PPM-output and reading a nunchuck is pretty easy.
Why would you wanna copy-paste Melihs code into mine - if Melih have already written the code you need for Nunchuck and PPM?

The idea with this project was to make a good solid headtracker with accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer. The difficult part is not the PPM or sensor-reading, but the calculations, filter and timing.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Well so I would need help to add more pots and three-way switches to Melih's code.. (he doesn't have any additional yet) and I need them.
I'll stop with the off-topic...Sorry
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Well so I would need help to add more pots and three-way switches to Melih's code.. (he doesn't have any additional yet) and I need them.
I'll stop with the off-topic...Sorry
No worries
If you use Melih's code you just add a slider and use analogRead() to get the position. He stores the servo-position in an array that you just use to set servo-position/PPM. (just looked at Melih's code, should be easy to adopt for your needs).

If you use my code you have to replace the I2C-reading and add the analogRead etc.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
486 Posts
Quote:
Guess it's time for a little update.
Anything missing in the headtracker part except a button to "reset"?

Code updated at:
http://code.google.com/p/open-headtracker/

please note that magnetometer min/max value must be calibrated manually atm for best performance. I'll write a little tool to help getting this done later.
Looking god Dennis, i dont know of anything missing, being flying it one more flight this afternoon, it just works, just turn it on and vait 5 sekons and fly and forget ewrything about it except using it.
You dont find anything even coming close, rock solid.

Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Looking god Dennis, i dont know of anything missing, being flying it one more flight this afternoon, it just works, just turn it on and vait 5 sekons and fly and forget ewrything about it except using it.
You dont find anything even coming close, rock solid.

Lars.
You make me proud
great to hear, thanks!

The last couple of things (GUI for calibration, test of filter etc.) will be done when I get some more sparetime - the important thing is the headtracker part. Really nice to hear, that it works well

I'll consider to add a few extra features for calibration and see if it's possible to store gyro calibration, to avoid the start-up delay. But that's just ideas for the future
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
486 Posts
Quote:
You make me proud
great to hear, thanks!

The last couple of things (GUI for calibration, test of filter etc.) will be done when I get some more sparetime - the important thing is the headtracker part. Really nice to hear, that it works well

I'll consider to add a few extra features for calibration and see if it's possible to store gyro calibration, to avoid the start-up delay. But that's just ideas for the future
You have all right to be prud, with my old TracR2 i need to resæt evrey minute and do a full calibration/resæt evry ten minutes = atleast 10 sekonds without ANNY headmovement or you got to do it aggain, DFHT i reset 3 sekonds just before takeof and fly for ouers, no resæt, nothing, just flying and have fun.

What start-up delay, 3 sekonds is nothing but do annything you think is good, i trust you.
3 sekonds is 50 times easyer then 10 sekonds to do vith no head movement.
And TracR2 has temperature drift, yours have no drift.
Really cant be mutch better.

Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
There is a slightly cheaper IMU here http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gy-85-sen...u-sensor-.html looks exactly the same

The cheapest arduino nano I've seen is here http://www.buyincoins.com/details/ar...uct-10178.html

Both have free shipping, I haven't used the second vendor but the first one delivered some similar cheap electronics as advertised
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre