HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Gabek and BlueAngel2000 - very nice to hear it works well
It's always great to be reminded, that the projects are actually being used.

Stan Hinman, the problem with readings showing 3000 was mentioned before. It's most likely caused by the microcontroller not receiving data from the sensor-board. Is it the same problem with all sensors (accelerometer-calc and magnetometer-calc?).
Hi Dennis,

I will make a video using the HT tomorrow.

--------

Do you have an idea why the gain setting is not working for roll?

Gábor
Gabek is offline Find More Posts by Gabek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabek View Post
Hi Dennis,

I will make a video using the HT tomorrow.

--------

Do you have an idea why the gain setting is not working for roll?

Gábor
Sorry, forgot that question.. It should work, but I most admit that I have mainly tested pan/tilt. Are you sure you use roll and not tilt? If you can please try to adjust tilt-gain just to be sure that's not the problem.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, forgot that question.. It should work, but I most admit that I have mainly tested pan/tilt. Are you sure you use roll and not tilt? If you can please try to adjust tilt-gain just to be sure that's not the problem.
Actually i use roll as tilt.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
83 Posts
Thanks Dennis! Normally I read every post in this thread, but this one by heckmic slipped by me while I was on vacation (with no internet access):

Quote:
Other thing -> The 3000 reading that some users are getting is because bad connections between SCL and arduino. I had the same results when no solder all the things together.
I'll redo all the solder joints on the IMU board when I get home tonight and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

Thanks again, particularly for the reminder that searching the thread can be helpful, even if you think you've read all the relevant posts!

Stan

Quote:

Stan Hinman, the problem with readings showing 3000 was mentioned before. It's most likely caused by the microcontroller not receiving data from the sensor-board. Is it the same problem with all sensors (accelerometer-calc and magnetometer-calc?).
Stan Hinman is online now Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hinman View Post
Thanks Dennis! Normally I read every post in this thread, but this one by heckmic slipped by me while I was on vacation (with no internet access):

I'll redo all the solder joints on the IMU board when I get home tonight and see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

Thanks again, particularly for the reminder that searching the thread can be helpful, even if you think you've read all the relevant posts!

Stan
No worries at all, it's a long thread and I can't expect people to read it all .

Someone mentioned that he had to use pull-up/down resistors on the I2C line - but no-one have mentioned that since. I gotta admit that all those problems with faulty/different hardware-behaviour have been quite difficult
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
I think most just use a rubberband, i changed the switch to a standard not self returning one on my FF9.

Lars.
I am thinking about using a 3 position switch, I'm fairly certain I came across on someone's 6EX or something like that where it's spring loaded to the centre one way and latching the other. If I can fit one of these in place of the standard trainer switch I can have it as a normal trainer switch one way and select the head tracker the other way without having to do the rubber band trick.
The only thing is this exact type of switch is it only comes with a short lever but there is a solution to this as if you ease the tabs on the switch body they come apart and the internal bits are interchangeable. So you can fit any arm to any type of switch, I've done this before.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:59 AM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
83 Posts
Still no joy in Mudville...

The simple solution I dreamed of did not materialize. After validating and re-soldering all the IMU connections, there has been zero change in the behavior of the system. I did run through all the calibration procedures again, and they all get the same output from the IMU: 3000, 3000, 3000. The only variation in this is in the Headtracker GUI. Here's the sequence of events:
1. I start the GUI, connect to the arduino, and it reads either the 3000 set of the 90, 90, 0 set;
2. I'll click Stop plot and it doesn't stop plotting;
3. Then I click Start plot and the output changes to the other of the two sets;
4. Then I click Stop plot again and the output changes back to the first set.

I can click Start and Stop Plot and the output just switches back and forth between the two sets, but this only happens in the GUI. The attached picture of the GUI shows this. The Accel and Magnetometer calibration routines, and the Hugegraph app only ever show the 3000 set for IMU output. There are pictures of these as well.

Also the HugeGraph application showed the data, but did not plot any graph (see pic), and I reverted back to version 07 for this trial (Sorry for the added variable).

And lastly, how do you add pull-up resistors for the HT configuration shown in the magnetometer calibration pictures?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stan

Quote:
Stan Hinman is online now Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Узбекистан
Joined Mar 2007
29 Posts
Hi! Thanks a lot for your open project!
I have just complete soldering, burn furmware, calibrate acc and mag. But i can not understand 2 things.
1. Which way should i connect it to my rc? I have spektrum dx7 (7ch) with 433mhz LRS (8ch). I cut ppm wire inside spektrum and connected it to my 433LRS ppm in. Should I connect this way dx7->DIYHeadT->LRS? Will it replace last channels? How to configure it?
Or just connect Tracker in parallel to LRS ppm in?
2. How to assign new center in flight? Reset arduino?
how_eee is offline Find More Posts by how_eee
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Mar 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by how_eee View Post
Hi! Thanks a lot for your open project!
I have just complete soldering, burn furmware, calibrate acc and mag. But i can not understand 2 things.
1. Which way should i connect it to my rc? I have spektrum dx7 (7ch) with 433mhz LRS (8ch). I cut ppm wire inside spektrum and connected it to my 433LRS ppm in. Should I connect this way dx7->DIYHeadT->LRS? Will it replace last channels? How to configure it?
Or just connect Tracker in parallel to LRS ppm in?
2. How to assign new center in flight? Reset arduino?
1. I have used my headtracker with a DX8 and a Turnigy 9X running ER9X firmware. Both of these work because you configure the "Trainer" function of the transmitter with which PPM inputs to use and which to ignore when the Trainer switch is operated......for example to use channels 7 & 8 for pan & tilt and ignore 1 to 6. The Arduino nano board outputs 8 channels and the GUI lets you set which channels are used for the three axes of the headtracker (you don't have to use all three).
I'm not sure that you can do this with the DX7 but there may be another way ?
In both cases, the headtracker ground & PPM are connected to the Trainer socket but you have to provide +ve power to the headtracker......I do this with a 6v Rx pack.
Neither the DX8 or the Turnigy 9X output any +ve power from their Trainer sockets.

2. Yes

Hope that helps

Cheers Don
don9f is offline Find More Posts by don9f
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Delft
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
I've got the same issue with the 3000 values, even when using 2K pull up resistors. Without resistors there is no signal at all.

I tried reducing the resistors to 1K, but still no output. I'll try hooking the whole thing up to my scope first thing tomorrow and see what output its giving me.

Have any of these DX boards been confirmed to be bad?
thefamoushat is offline Find More Posts by thefamoushat
Last edited by thefamoushat; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamoushat View Post
Have any of these DX boards been confirmed to be bad?
To be honest I don't know if it's bad sensorboards, different hardware useless code or something else. I have had a few different boards and they have all worked. I received a headtracker from someone that was faulty - and that problem was fixed with latest firmware (huge offset on accelerometer on some boards, can't explain why).

It would be great to see a scope-picture of the I2C line, to see what's going on.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Delft
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
the soundcard scope is giving me this:
thefamoushat is offline Find More Posts by thefamoushat
Last edited by thefamoushat; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dennis,

I promissed a video. I don't really know, how is it visible that i have used your HT, but i did. Almost all the way.

It worked well!
Better than i have expected!

Only thing needs to be adjusted is the roll gain, that i can't at the moment. (Anything i set, Has no effect.)
Ohh and "Travel adjust max" seams to have no effect also.

So here is the video:
Clouds (9 min 14 sec)
Last edited by Gabek; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefamoushat View Post
the soundcard scope is giving me this:
Looks pretty good to me. It's hard to tell if the data is from Arduino or the sensorboard, but the pulses looks fine.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabek View Post
Hi Dennis,

I promissed a video. I don't really know, how is it visible that i have used your HT, but i did. Almost all the way.

It worked well!
Better than i have expected!

Only thing needs to be adjusted is the roll gain, that i can't at the moment.
Where is it in the code?

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/n3I0ZM06Gvk
Looks really great, and I'm happy that hear that the headtracker also works IRL

I'll just find the roll-gain for the headtracker...