HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Today I've had my first flights with my new headtracker. I mounted the sensor unit in a little box with about 1 metre of cable to the nano board. This box was velcro'd to my goggles.
Everything worked well and I'm impressed with the simplicity of this design.....well done Dennis and all who have helped develop this remarkable unit.

Cheers Don
don9f is online now Find More Posts by don9f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabek View Post
Thank You HOL,

My friend has one, and the boot loader is uploaded now.

But!

I seam to have strong interference from 72 mhz!
So the tracker stops working. No reaction at all.
When i remove 72 mhz modul than it works as it should.

I will try to use shielded cables.
Will see what happens....

Anyone had similar problem?

Gábor
Try a shielded cable and let us know if that solves the problem. You can do a few other tricks like extra pull up/down resistors etc. but hopefully not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Just an FYI,

I was able to get a second tracker working well. Testing it without heatshrink on the sensorboard (the gy-85 is mounted remote from the arduino with about 1meter of cable) it worked perfectly. The graph in the GUI responded as it should, so I decided to shrinkwrap the sensorboard to protect it. After I got done, I tested it again and the pan was returning to zero and it was behaving poorly. I removed the heatshrink and situated the wires away from the top of the sensor (I heatshrinked the wires on top of the sensorboard in order to make the whole thing neater and smaller). After clearing the wires away from the sensorboard, the tracker began working well again. I could make the graph show bad behavior simply by moving the wires back and forth over the sensor as it sat motionless. I don't know if it's the fault of the wire I used (an old wired mouse's cable) or if the board is just sensitive. I reapplied the heatshrink, this time making sure the wires ran at the edge of the board, away from the components on its top and all is well again.

capn
Great info for everyone who still have problems. The magnetometer is very sensitive to magnetic fields from wires etc. which should not cross or be near the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don9f View Post
Today I've had my first flights with my new headtracker. I mounted the sensor unit in a little box with about 1 metre of cable to the nano board. This box was velcro'd to my goggles.
Everything worked well and I'm impressed with the simplicity of this design.....well done Dennis and all who have helped develop this remarkable unit.

Cheers Don
Great to hear, thanks
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Ok.

Shielded cable solved the problem.

--------------

Now that i went trough all the procedure, i can clearly see this project is great!
It was promising for the first time, but now that i have it assembled, i am sure it is.

There must be lot of work behind, on coding also!

Let me say a huge THANK YOU!

-----------------------

Also got a question.
How can i configure it to use less head movement to protect my neck?

Thank you,
Gábor
Gabek is offline Find More Posts by Gabek
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Ok.

Shielded cable solved the problem.

--------------

Now that i went trough all the procedure, i can clearly see this project is great!
It was promising for the first time, but now that i have it assembled, i am sure it is.

There must be lot of work behind, on coding also!

Let me say a huge THANK YOU!

-----------------------

Also got a question.
How can i configure it to use less head movement to protect my neck?

Thank you,
Gábor
I'm glad you like it.
Sure, a lot of hours went into developing, but most of the time it have been fun

You can change the necessary head-movement by changing what's called "Servo gain", "gain" or something like that in the GUI.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
I'm glad you like it.
Sure, a lot of hours went into developing, but most of the time it have been fun

You can change the necessary head-movement by changing what's called "Servo gain", "gain" or something like that in the GUI.
Thank you Dennis,

I will try within an hour!

Gábor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Dennis,

I will try within an hour!

Gábor
Here you go....
It can be changed with the slider (left red box in picture) or in numbers (right red box)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Here you go....
It can be changed with the slider (left red box in picture) or in numbers (right red box)
Thank you!

Working!

But when i pulled out antenna interference came back.

It seams that it is only ruins calibration after reset is pressed, cant be calibrated.

Hmmmm...

If yo have other ideas.

THX again,
Gábor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Thank you!

Working!

But when i pulled out antenna interference came back.

It seams that it is only ruins calibration after reset is pressed, cant be calibrated.

Hmmmm...

If yo have other ideas.

THX again,
Gábor
It only ruins calibration after reset is pressed?

You should press reset, do the calibration and press save? Not quite sure I understand when the problems appears.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
It only ruins calibration after reset is pressed?

You should press reset, do the calibration and press save? Not quite sure I understand when the problems appears.
I mean when i take off, than sit down, push reset, to heve a good middle.

Than it happens sometimes.

Also tried to set the gain. it worked for pan, but did not for roll.

Don't know what is that yet.

Thank you for your support!

Gábor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Aug 2006
83 Posts
Strange GY-85 Output

After waiting for 6 (!) weeks for my Nano and IMU from DX, I finally put it all together about two weeks ago, and since then have been trying to make sense of what I'm seeing during calibration routines. I'm sure the Nano board is working properly; I can easily upload sketches to it (as long as I'm working on my old XP system - Windows 7 64 bit is another long and painful story that has yet to be resolved...). All the LED's blink as described by both Dennis and Arduino web pages. The problem comes when trying to follow Dennis' calibration procedures, starting with the magnetometer. After starting the plot, the output from the Headtracker always reads 3000, 3000, 3000, and does not change at all; with no offsets recorded even after after the device has been manipulated to correspond with the pictures and the set buttons clicked. I've attached a couple of screen grabs below.

If I keep plugging away and open the Headtracker GUI, the input always reads 90, 90, 0 (or very close to those values), but moving the headtracker does not affect the plot in any way. I have seen a slight change in the output values after doing a gyro calibration, but still the output does not change when moving the headtracker.

At this point, after having done this a hundred times or more, I usually just pass on the accelerometer calibration 'cause it just follows suit with the other processes. Obviously something is wrong, but I just don't know what it is, and frankly, I'm at at the end of my rope. There's probably someone out there thinking, "I know what the problem is." If you're out there, I'm waiting to hear from you, and if history is any indicator, it's probably something incredibly obvious and dumb that I've (once again) done...

Thanks in advance for any help and advice in pointing me to a solution.

Kind regards,

Stan Hinman

P.S. I'm using version 08 of Dennis' software.
Stan Hinman is offline Find More Posts by Stan Hinman
Last edited by Stan Hinman; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added software version; sp
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:47 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
just want to say thanks again to Dennis.

The HT works now very well since more than 3 months.
It is attached now to my new rebuilt All in One Cinemizer Plus goggles.

Zeiss Cinemizer Plus goggle
2s Lion battery
2,4G or 5,8 receiver
433Mhz PPM transmitter for the HT
and for sure:
the DIY Headtracker
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Ok.

It seams that i have eliminated all interference!
Tomorrow i will fly my new system.

I have a new question; Is it possible to configure Futaba 9 to let me release trainer switch, but still be able to use HT?

Is there a trick or something?

Dennis,
Thank you again!

Gábor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Ok.

It seams that i have eliminated all interference!
Tomorrow i will fly my new system.

I have a new question; Is it possible to configure Futaba 9 to let me release trainer switch, but still be able to use HT?

Is there a trick or something?

Dennis,
Thank you again!

Gábor
I think most just use a rubberband, i changed the switch to a standard not self returning one on my FF9.

Lars.
LKJ is online now Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
I think most just use a rubberband, i changed the switch to a standard not self returning one on my FF9.

Lars.
I was afraid that i have to do that...

Thank you LKJ
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Gabek and BlueAngel2000 - very nice to hear it works well
It's always great to be reminded, that the projects are actually being used.

Stan Hinman, the problem with readings showing 3000 was mentioned before. It's most likely caused by the microcontroller not receiving data from the sensor-board. Is it the same problem with all sensors (accelerometer-calc and magnetometer-calc?).