SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Thanks for the help.
By the way, servo center fit nerly perfekt vith 2220.

Lars.
No problem, always nice with some FPV talk etc.

I feel pretty sure 2220 is off center on my transmitter - but as everyone can just set the center-position matching the transmitter it shouldn't matter.

Have you checked that the servo can move 100% in each direction? If the center-position is not set correct, and/or the travel-adjustment (in your program called "servo pulse variation") is too high, the transmitter will ignore the pulse and center the servo in case you move it too much.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Hi Dennis,
Great project! I've seen futaba squere socket on your photo, should i use only 3 pins: GND (pin 2), Signal In (pin 5) and +V switched (pin 6) to get it worked with my T8FGS? No PPM out (pin 3) needed?
Which pins on IMU side are Yellow and Green? On arduino side Yellow=A5 and Green=A6, what about IMU?
Cossacs is offline Find More Posts by Cossacs
Last edited by Cossacs; Jun 29, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
No problem, always nice with some FPV talk etc.

I feel pretty sure 2220 is off center on my transmitter - but as everyone can just set the center-position matching the transmitter it shouldn't matter.

Have you checked that the servo can move 100% in each direction? If the center-position is not set correct, and/or the travel-adjustment (in your program called "servo pulse variation") is too high, the transmitter will ignore the pulse and center the servo in case you move it too much.
AAAaaa it just did that for me when i moved/turned the HT far to far in pan, now i lerned some more today.
I wil look ind to that tomorrow.

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossacs View Post
Hi Dennis,
Great project! I've seen futaba squere socket on your photo, should i use only 3 pins: GND (pin 2), Signal In (pin 5) and +V switched (pin 6) to get it worked with my T8FGS? No PPM out (pin 3) needed?
I only use GND, signal in and +V swithced atm. That's all you need for the headtracker.

PPM out is just for the PPM expansion part - but that's not quite done yet.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
AAAaaa it just did that for me when i moved/turned the HT far to far in pan, now i lerned some more today.
I wil look ind to that tomorrow.

Lars.
Well, at least you know the reason
If you wasn't experiencing that before, I would expect, that the center-position was actually set right before. When you where comparing with the potentiometer on the transmitter, have you checked in the servo-menu that it was actually in neutral?
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
I only use GND, signal in and +V swithced atm. That's all you need for the headtracker.
Cool, thanks

Just to clarify regarding IMU to Arduino connection, SDA=A5 and SCL=A6?
Cossacs is offline Find More Posts by Cossacs
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Well, at least you know the reason
If you wasn't experiencing that before, I would expect, that the center-position was actually set right before. When you where comparing with the potentiometer on the transmitter, have you checked in the servo-menu that it was actually in neutral?
I think i controlled this when i made the setup and will recheck tomorrow, but there are week knots in the pots so they have somewhat locked positions/steps, therefor i can not make both pan and tilt neutrals 100% perfect at one time, one of them will always move just a little, the new programming tool you made where each servos neutral and individual end positions can be set will cure that.

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossacs View Post
Cool, thanks

Just to clarify regarding IMU to Arduino connection, SDA=A5 and SCL=A6?
No, it's:
SDA = A4
SCL A5
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:05 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Guess it's time for a little update.
Anything missing in the headtracker part except a button to "reset"?



Code updated at:
http://code.google.com/p/open-headtracker/

please note that magnetometer min/max value must be calibrated manually atm for best performance. I'll write a little tool to help getting this done later.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 02, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
So whats next after the headtracker?
I'd like if you made an arduino transmitter

That would be a suitable challange for your skillz
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:10 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
So whats next after the headtracker?
I'd like if you made an arduino transmitter

That would be a suitable challange for your skillz
I don't really have any plans for new FPV-projects, but good ideas are welcome (have a few other projects, but not related to FPV)


I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Arduino transmitter"?. OpenLrs should be a good place to start if you want to play with OpenSource RC-link.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,066 Posts
So is anyone building one of these? I'm quite excited, as I've been looking to add headtracking to my FPV expreience for ages, but have been put off by the limitations of the commercial systems.

I have managed to build my own multicopter controller board based on the Arduino, wii motion plus and nunchuck before. Do you think I could handle this? Is there anything I need to be especially careful of?

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Joined Mar 2007
278 Posts
Dennis is in a much better position to answer this, but after building his DIY OSD this weekend in about 15 minutes, I can tell you Im amazed by the simplicity and reliability of his systems.

I built it in a breadboard and am waiting for the proto board so I can solder it and mount it on an aircraft. You should be fine!
OrlandoP is offline Find More Posts by OrlandoP
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:48 PM
HOL
Registered User
Danmark, Midtjylland, Galten
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
I don't really have any plans for new FPV-projects, but good ideas are welcome (have a few other projects, but not related to FPV)


I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Arduino transmitter"?. OpenLrs should be a good place to start if you want to play with OpenSource RC-link.
High end OpenSource RC transmitter is to be found here:
http://www.os-rc.com/
But unfortunately a little more costly than the arduino . But with "built-in" FPV options.
HOL is offline Find More Posts by HOL
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:14 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So is anyone building one of these? I'm quite excited, as I've been looking to add headtracking to my FPV expreience for ages, but have been put off by the limitations of the commercial systems.

I have managed to build my own multicopter controller board based on the Arduino, wii motion plus and nunchuck before. Do you think I could handle this? Is there anything I need to be especially careful of?

Sub.
Year, you should be finem the hardware is very easy
The board can be directly mounted on Arduino Nano's pins (will upload picture when I get it done) and you just need 3 wires to transmitter.

The GUI etc. should be straight forward.

It's still one of the early software versions - but I don't think much will be changed, as it works pretty well.

*I have just changed the title of the thread, should match better.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Diy osd (Arduino and opensource) Dennis Frie FPV Equipment 2413 Aug 08, 2014 01:30 AM
Discussion PPM to PWM circuit for headtracker 38cjc38 DIY Electronics 18 Mar 04, 2011 06:43 AM
Question Adding additional PPM inputs to a headtracker/module setup. SebastianJ FPV Talk 0 Aug 19, 2009 07:38 AM
Question Adding additional PPM inputs to a headtracker. SebastianJ DIY Electronics 0 Aug 18, 2009 03:37 PM