111 Posts
Great setup and tutorial!
FPVAustralia is offline Find More Posts by FPVAustralia
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
600 Posts
Have anyone got this HT to work with the Futaba T7C ?

I can get the tilt function to work, but not the pan. If I move the board sideways nothing happens, but if I roll the board, my camera starts to pan....

When I do test in the headtracker GUI the pan function works just fine.

I really don't know what to do from here.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,637 Posts
You have to use the Headtracker GUI to change the PPM channels in accordance to the channels you use with your rc TX, i.e., change PAN to the channel you have the PAN servo connected.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
You have to use the Headtracker GUI to change the PPM channels in accordance to the channels you use with your rc TX, i.e., change PAN to the channel you have the PAN servo connected.
I have changed the channels in the GUI, it does not help me at all.

I have a Futaba T7C with 7 channels. So I guess the channel 8 in the GUI should not work with my TX. But if I put channel 8 in the GUI on my pan or tilt function, I can still use pan(roll) and tilt, even though my TX should not support channel 8.

--------------

Update

It seems to work just fine now. The problem was, that I did not click "Save last uploaded" after having uploaded the settings.

- Kim -
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Last edited by SpookiePower; Aug 09, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Post #1 updated with a few pictures from you guys, just as inspiration. Hope that's okay

I'm back home and have this on the "to-do" list, anything else?

- Change start-up movement
- Simplify GUI and add "advanced settings" (most people don't use them anyway).
- Support for "set neutral" button. (button can also be used for future updates if needed)
- Remove "Save last uploaded settings" and just use "Upload settings"
- LKJ have experienced very little servo-movement every 5-10 second. Everyone else who have experienced this? I haven't been able to see it myself.

Later:
- Support for vertical IMU-board
- Positive/Negative PPM option (anyone who can check PPM-stream at other headtrackers?)
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:30 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
Dennis, is this an option for the DIY headtracker (found on DealExtreme):
GY-81-3205 10DOF ITG3205 BMA180 HMC5883L MultiWii MWC Flight Control Module for Arduino
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:17 AM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Post #1 updated with a few pictures from you guys, just as inspiration. Hope that's okay

I'm back home and have this on the "to-do" list, anything else?

- Change start-up movement
- Simplify GUI and add "advanced settings" (most people don't use them anyway).
- Support for "set neutral" button. (button can also be used for future updates if needed)
- Remove "Save last uploaded settings" and just use "Upload settings"
- LKJ have experienced very little servo-movement every 5-10 second. Everyone else who have experienced this? I haven't been able to see it myself.

Later:
- Support for vertical IMU-board
- Positive/Negative PPM option (anyone who can check PPM-stream at other headtrackers?)
- LKJ have experienced very little servo-movement every 5-10 second.

Yes but it is constant and maybe every second, i think i know what is going on, if i move my head very slowly my servos move in small steps, not gliding but jump from step to step, i think it is my TSLRS who use lower resolution on all channels over channel 4, and it is this who together with DFHT are causing the servos moving in small steps, i think the small very little servo-movement i constantly See is TSLRS jumping between 2 steps constantly, not able to find with one to stay one, If i use the potties on F9 (DFHT off) the servos do mowe much smoother, same with my old TracR2 connected, its just drift like H..
Fact is i don't see it when i flying anymore, only when i look for it i see it, but it is there always.

I can send you my TracR2 and my M:I:G to play ant test with if you want, you can play with them as long you want, i really don't need them any more, I got DFHT.
Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashingDutchman View Post
Dennis, is this an option for the DIY headtracker (found on DealExtreme):
GY-81-3205 10DOF ITG3205 BMA180 HMC5883L MultiWii MWC Flight Control Module for Arduino
It's not supported by default, but with a few modifications you should, more or less, be able to use all I2C sensorboards with gyro, accelerometer and magnetometer.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
- LKJ have experienced very little servo-movement every 5-10 second.

Yes but it is constant and maybe every second, i think i know what is going on, if i move my head very slowly my servos move in small steps, not gliding but jump from step to step, i think it is my TSLRS who use lower resolution on all channels over channel 4, and it is this who together with DFHT are causing the servos moving in small steps, i think the small very little servo-movement i constantly See is TSLRS jumping between 2 steps constantly, not able to find with one to stay one, If i use the potties on F9 (DFHT off) the servos do mowe much smoother, same with my old TracR2 connected, its just drift like H..
Fact is i don't see it when i flying anymore, only when i look for it i see it, but it is there always.

I can send you my TracR2 and my M:I:G to play ant test with if you want, you can play with them as long you want, i really don't need them any more, I got DFHT.
Lars.
If you are able to get smooth servo-movement with any other device connected to the trainer-port, it should be possible with this headtracker as well. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but it's still on the "to-do" list. It's just a little difficult to find the cause, as I can't see the problem myself.

If we ever meet up I'll be sure to bring a laptop and an oscilloscope so we can test your other headtracker and hopefully solve it

Hopefully I'll have a new software version available this week, so it might be time for you to update the software as you still use the very first version.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
If you are able to get smooth servo-movement with any other device connected to the trainer-port, it should be possible with this headtracker as well. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but it's still on the "to-do" list. It's just a little difficult to find the cause, as I can't see the problem myself.

If we ever meet up I'll be sure to bring a laptop and an oscilloscope so we can test your other headtracker and hopefully solve it

Hopefully I'll have a new software version available this week, so it might be time for you to update the software as you still use the very first version.
Maybe we can See each other at Aviators FPV meting, if the weather is ok this weekend, i will for sure be there.

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ View Post
Maybe we can See each other at Aviators FPV meting, if the weather is ok this weekend, i will for sure be there.

Lars.
It's a bit far away, but If the weather forecast looks good and am able to get there - I'll probably be there friday to sunday
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Just tested the sensorboard mounted directly under Arduino

Not much to tell, so will just show a few pics of another way to put it together with as few wires as possible.

First I have removed the pins that "blocks" the sensorboard.

You can cut them down (one missing)

Or completely remove them (You might be able to leave the black plastic if you want):

Mount the sensorboard:

Solder the pins (Year I know the soldering isn't too pretty - just used the nearest soldering wire that happened to be pretty damn thick )

And connect a ground-wire for example like this, and you should have a working headtracker - except for the transmitter connections (please note the sensorboard have to point up with the current code version).

Now the interesting part is the magnetic field from the electronic etc. As the Arduino uses a linear regulator, the current should be constant. As the field is only generated by the current, the field should be constant as well (independent of the input voltage).

The test was performed with the controller connected to USB and a lab power-supply (with a series diode). While the magnetic field is expected to change a bit when changing from one supply to another, it should be constant even though the voltage changes.
Here a quick graph:

It's clear to see when the power-supply is turned on and off - but the important thing is the constant field even though the voltage-input was changed (cant be seen on the graph).

So in short - mounting the sensorboard under Arduino and very close to the regulator etc. should be okay.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Aug 13, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Code updated for headtracker

I have to update the GUI before uploading this version, but so far these changes is done and tested:
  • Start-up procedure changed - no more aggressive servo-movements at startup
  • Support for button added (mainly for "Set center position"). You just need a button between one of the digital ports and ground (defautl D11).
  • Gyro-calibration saved on EEPROM. That means you dont have to keep the headtracker steady at start-up.
  • Uploaded settings will be saved as default.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
great, thanks Dennis.

One question about the button.
What is the difference between the button on the arduino and the new one?
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000