Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:58 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Please, read my post again.
One board has ITH3200 or ITG3205 as gyro (ITG3205 is a bit worse - it's the same re-marked ITG3200, when they did not pass stright requirements); and another board has L3G4200D as gyro.

Both are written on board description and even in title, i do not know why do you think, that theyre "exact same board".
Year, but I was refering to the original sensor-board compared to this one:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/nine-axis...3l-module.html

(Original sensorboard used):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160

As far as I can see they both use same gyro etc. It was only a suggestion to another cheap alternative that looks to be the exact same board as used in this project.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Aug 03, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
103 Posts
Hello Dennis,

I tested your head tracker, and it works very well - keeping the servos very still - no drifting

I would like to place the gyro board vertically instead of flat. This will allow me to use a smaller flat box to enclose the gyro and Pro Mini inside. And it would be easier to mount it onto the goggles.

Is it much work to change the orientation of the board? (I understand, there are several places in the code that have to be changed )

Regards
Pete
ElectoPete is offline Find More Posts by ElectoPete
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:39 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
deleted
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Last edited by SpookiePower; Aug 04, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectoPete View Post
Hello Dennis,

I tested your head tracker, and it works very well - keeping the servos very still - no drifting

I would like to place the gyro board vertically instead of flat. This will allow me to use a smaller flat box to enclose the gyro and Pro Mini inside. And it would be easier to mount it onto the goggles.

Is it much work to change the orientation of the board? (I understand, there are several places in the code that have to be changed )

Regards
Pete
I'm glad to hear it works

I'll consider to add vertical position of the sensorboard as an option, but I have a few other updates that I'll look at first.

I will be home in about a week and release an update sooner or later but the position of the sensorboard probably want be included this time.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectoPete View Post
Hello Dennis,

Regards
Pete
I just finished building mine as well after the bench test. Mounted up to my goggles and am pleased to say it works excellently well. I need to find a moment to take it flying now.

I struggled to find a way to mount it cleanly so I ended up keeping the sensor board and arduino separate, only connected by a thin 4 wire loom. Might be a solution for you?
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Dennis,
Another great Open Source project and very big thank you to you!
Will this support the MPU-9150? If so, this could turn out to be one of the smallest and best head trackers available. Also, what are your thoughts on using an ATiny as the processor?

Thanks again.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
it works!!!!
eranmutai is offline Find More Posts by eranmutai
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:22 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSum View Post
Dennis,
Another great Open Source project and very big thank you to you!
Will this support the MPU-9150? If so, this could turn out to be one of the smallest and best head trackers available. Also, what are your thoughts on using an ATiny as the processor?

Thanks again.
Making the headtracker with an mpu9150 and an Attiny could make it an incredible small and hopefully cheap headtracker in production. Might be worth looking at some of the new microcontrollers with built-in usb for direct USB onboard without FTDI converter etc? A bit more expensive in production, but a lot easier to use.

But no matter what, it will require a custom built print etc. It should be pretty simple and straight forward to design, but if it's with sale in mind, it will require a descent number of devices to get the price down.

I don't mind to help designing and coding, but I have little interest in sale - if that's what you have in mind. It would be very nice, but I prefer to use my time developing instead

If you have any plans to take it further, just let me know. I don't mind to help with the design and the code.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Aug 05, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
I have just finished my DFHT build and now I'm trying to upload the settings to the DFHT but something does not work right.

When I connected the DFTH to my computer the driver was installed ok. I then opened up Arduino IDE and selected the file DIY_headtracker.ino and the Arduino Nano w/Atmega328 board and then tried to upload. In the end of the upload I receive this message "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30". I guess this is some kind of error, but what to do now, I just don't know. I then tried to open up Headtracker_GUI_v0_02.exe and select the COM port I used before, but nothing happens.

Anyone who can help me from here ?

A little update on my problem.

When uploading in Arduino IDE and choosing COM port 3 I get the message "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30". But when I select COM port 17 I do not get the message But when I open up Headtracker_GUI_v0_02.exe I can only select COM port between 1 to 10...not port 17

When I press connect, nothing happens, and when I press "start plot" I get this message "$PLST"

- Kim -
Last edited by SpookiePower; Aug 06, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:11 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,636 Posts
Kim,

Change the number of the COM port of your nano arduino in device manager/Ports/COM17(double click) -->port definitions-->Advanced -->choose a free COM port or choose an occupied port that you know you don't use often
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Kim,

Change the number of the COM port of your nano arduino in device manager/Ports/COM17(double click) -->port definitions-->Advanced -->choose a free COM port or choose an occupied port that you know you don't use often
I'm not sure exactly what to do - I have opened Device Manager on my computer, but can't find anything about COM ports or Nano Ardunio, if that is what you are telling me to do.

- Kim -
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:43 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
In the Gui just delete COMxx and write COM17, thats the quick solution. will consider a smarter com-port selection later.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
In the Gui just delete COMxx and write COM17, thats the quick solution. will consider a smarter com-port selection later.
I'll try that later today Dennis. Thanks
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:46 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
474 Posts
Hello Dennis,
Your creation looks awesome and I would like to order and have a go at producing one.
Quick question though: Once assembled and the current software loaded, would this work with w Turnigy 9x radio running ER9x, or is it only for Futaba radios?
Cheers,
Matt
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix3 View Post
Hello Dennis,
Your creation looks awesome and I would like to order and have a go at producing one.
Quick question though: Once assembled and the current software loaded, would this work with w Turnigy 9x radio running ER9x, or is it only for Futaba radios?
Cheers,
Matt
I don't really know Turnigy 9x, but if it supports a headtracker / trainer mix it most likely works.

You might wanna see if other people have used it with headtrackers and what kind of PPM-signal it will accept.