HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
I have attempted to paint the glue side of the lam film. I thought it came out very ugly. I used a cheap paint from walmart.

I have heard people use floral spray paint. Is there a reason that this paint would/will work better than another paint?
If so, I will but some and try again.
sumdumguy is offline Find More Posts by sumdumguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
I have heard people use floral spray paint. Is there a reason that this paint would/will work better than another paint?
I expect the solvents in floral spray are much less agressive than those in standard rattle cans. Secondly, I think Raymond was spraying very lightly going for a translucent or pastel color, not fully opaque.

Too much paint will interfere with adhesion.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
211 Posts
I had been using Krylon Int/Ext but they have changed the formula. I found that the 'old' paint melded with the glue when heated with the iron and made great adhesion to the wood and seams. The new stuff # starts with a 5 and just doesn't meld worth a d**-d**.
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
I'll try and find some of the floral paint and give it a shot. Looks like I may need some for the most recent build.
But, I did get some closeout $coat for 6.50/roll, so we'll see.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
465 Posts
Thing one: I don't save my magazines anymore so I don't have any recent back issues of MA to check for the Duculam article. Sorry.

Thing two: right, the Floral spray worked best with a light touch. When I tried Rustoleum one the glueside long ago it took an even lighter touch. Yes, my goal was to come as close as I could to the tissue look.

Thing three: FWIW I haven't used any of the 'cotes in years. Partly because I'm cheap but mostly because I have no bubble problems and I have more paint/color options.

Thing four: I did not wish to hijack your thread - just trying to help.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post

Thing three: FWIW I haven't used any of the 'cotes in years. Partly because I'm cheap but mostly because I have no bubble problems and I have more paint/color options.
I am guessing that you have not used the cotes for some time since you are using the 'lam?
Do you also paint on the outside? If so, what paints have you found that will survive glow fuel?
Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
465 Posts
Dear Dum (I couldn't resist, sorry),

I've used laminating film regularly since the mid 70s. I use Rustoleum on the outside. The wisdom from people smarter than me (there are one or two) insist that you must let it totally gas off before you get the most fuel resistance. You can tell by the smell. Do rub it down with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol first. One time I had to wait a month for a dark blue CL carrier job to lose its new-paint odor.

(I have to admit that one of my Sharkface derivatives is getting a little "soft" around the firewall so make sure to clean off the goop well at the end of the day.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Oh, Raymond --- I've missed reading your postings. You mustn't be such a stranger to this group in the future.

andrew
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Do rub it down with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol first.
Some folks will also burnish the surface a bit with a fine Scotch-Brite pad to knock off the gloss and give the surface some teeth to improve adhesion. Buff it a bit, then hit it with thinner or alcohol per Raymond's advice. After cleaning, don't touch the film before painting.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Alrightee then... that's good to know. I will have to try painting the stuff on the outside and see what happens.

As far as waiting 'til it fully cures.... no problem. It seems the more years I see the more patience I have (at least I like to tell myself that).

Thanks!!
Last edited by sumdumguy; Jul 11, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
So, are there any good tips in the magazine article?(or otherwise for applying doculam). Any other good tutorials or links? I ordered a roll as people seem to say it "Sticks" well....that and I'm cheap and poor like everyone else and like the concept of a 250' roll that can be any color I like. Has anyone tried using acrylic paint like rc cars use? either inside or out. I'm anxious to get my roll and do some experimenting as I've never really liked most of the "cotes" except some Carl Goldberg stuff I had that would stick like a sticker without heat and then shrink still. Todd
Max_Power is offline Find More Posts by Max_Power
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2012
12 Posts
doculam

There was a section of Bob Aberle's Frequently Asked Questions in the April 2012
MA (pages 81-83) that discussed Doculam.
Mark28 is offline Find More Posts by Mark28
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Tissue

I have read in English mags that they apply tissue over a thin plastic film. The purpose is to give the tissue additional strength. Has anyone tried this with doculam?
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
465 Posts
Quote:

Do you want to put tissue over laminating film? I used Future floor finish once with good luck.
I don't know if the above is fuel proof. I never tried it on anything but an electric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Some useful information on Doculam can be found in the instruction manual for the Mountain Models Switchback starting on page 12 found here.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/images...k-sport-v2.pdf
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.