HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Discussion
Doculam

There was an article in one of the mags recently about Doculam. Flying Models or Model Aviation most likely. Any clues which one and date. . Thanks
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Great Stuff !

I've been using EZ Lamin from Highsmith since the mid 70s. Last time I looked you could still get 20-inch by 200-feet for under twenty bucks.

A light covering of Floral Spray from Michaels or A.C.Moore on the glue side comes out looking pretty close to 'real' dope and tissue (from ten feet away). You can't beat the price and it NEVER bubbles and loosens like the 'cotes.

I just used it on my Lanzo Bomber. After covering I rub it down with alcohol or lacquer thinner (doesn't seem to matter which) and this time I sprayed fluorescent yellow from Rustoleum on the outside, lightly. Came out looking like Tissue from five feet!

FWIW the BODST that I covered in 1999 and has lived in my attic ever since is as tight and smooth as it was when new. You can tell I'm a fan of the stuff, huh?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,241 Posts
My Bird of Daylight Savings Time is also a rafters resident..long obsolete but simply too pretty to just discard. Wonder how many are doing similar?
Gawd.. I can't even remember from when, sometime in the 80 s?
Only remember It was one of the very first/few short kits .
Still has it's original Econokote skin though. .. in pretty well as applied condition. Initial application quality is likely the key ingredient .
No other answer comes to mind. .
But Laminating films ARE inexpensive ..clearly that's increasingly important .
Having said that FastCal works well on My combat wings.
But those never live long enough to have covering issues :-)
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Jun 23, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Two Things . . .

. . . I forgot.

Thing one, I think it was Faye Stilley who suggested ironing the bare wood before putting on covering to drive out moisture.

Thing two, Fascal and CL combat! Oh the good ole days! Most of my favorite modelling memories are from the center of a 60-foot circle. But a couple of us fly electric R/C combat and it's almost as good. Heavy sigh.

Thing three (so I lied). My BODST has a Blue Wonder motor on the front now. It's really ugly so I'm too ashamed to share a photo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
I have some C/L combat planes that were covered 30 years ago with FasCal. It stayed down and stayed shrunk.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
There was an article in one of the mags recently about Doculam. Model Aviation most likely. Any clues which one and date. . Thanks
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:43 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr View Post
I've been using EZ Lamin from Highsmith since the mid 70s. Last time I looked you could still get 20-inch by 200-feet for under twenty bucks.

A light covering of Floral Spray from Michaels or A.C.Moore on the glue side comes out looking pretty close to 'real' dope and tissue (from ten feet away). You can't beat the price and it NEVER bubbles and loosens like the 'cotes.

I just used it on my Lanzo Bomber. After covering I rub it down with alcohol or lacquer thinner (doesn't seem to matter which) and this time I sprayed fluorescent yellow from Rustoleum on the outside, lightly. Came out looking like Tissue from five feet!

FWIW the BODST that I covered in 1999 and has lived in my attic ever since is as tight and smooth as it was when new. You can tell I'm a fan of the stuff, huh?
Raymond, I just checked their site and it looks like the least available is 500 feet, or am I looking at the wrong stuff?? How thick is what you were using??
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:19 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Raymond, I just checked their site and it looks like the least available is 500 feet, or am I looking at the wrong stuff?? How thick is what you were using??
Try Oregon Laminations.

They have 25" x 250' of 1.5 mil film on 1" cores for $15.20. You can buy a single roll, which is fairly unusual for most film suppliers. Shipping is very reasonable.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:26 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
Try Oregon Laminations.

They have 25" x 250' of 1.5 mil film on 1" cores for $15.20. You can buy a single roll, which is fairly unusual for most film suppliers. Shipping is very reasonable.

andrew
Thanks for that.
Jim
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaliwag View Post
There was an article in one of the mags recently about Doculam. Model Aviation most likely. Any clues which one and date. . Thanks
Any info???
sumdumguy is offline Find More Posts by sumdumguy
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Not yet..
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Sorry

I just scanned through the March and June FMs (I recycle). I found references to coverings in construction articles but nothing on laminating films.

Do you want to put tissue over laminating film? I used Future floor finish once with good luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Investigations lead to Model Aviation.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
It was Model Aviation. I read the article, but cannot find the issue where it appeared.
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Your mission for the week end is