HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
F3B & the Gator

Ya know,,,,, I dusted my Fosa off and flew her January 11. I want to mention the Fosa is the best flying plane I ever owned in my lifetime of soaring!!!!****

I have to say that I was in heaven. No snow on the ground and about or around 58 degrees and winds 8 to 10 mph.
Of course i was by myself,,,,,,, again..
But it didnt matter!!!!! I was flying F3B!!!!

Set up my winch nick named jaws by wurts because he stuck his thumb too close to the drum mounting bolt and knocked off a whole thumb finger nail. I left my Hollenback winch at home because I didnt want to beat it up.
I mounted 200 meters of 1.22 orange mega line the Mike Lachowski 'gave' me to practice with. The line doesnt snap recoil like speed line so I was hunting for the feel with my two phase launch set up I have on the Fosa.
First launch very high and directly into fog. Yikes,,,, So I flew a few duration flights... bored myself to death!!!!!!! In a hours time I finally got some launching conditions without fog. Short story,,, Last year,, using Lachowski's winch and line,,, I was launching so high I actually had to buy my first set of real prescription eye glasses when I got home. For Real!!!!

Armed with my new glasses,,,, Did a bunch of mock distance laps with 18 ounces. I was thrilled to be putting my Fosa and myself thru the paces again!
I felt I havnt been turning well in distance since I got the Fosa last year so I worked on my thumb to quiet the movements and had changed my bump camber, aileron differential and aileron to rudder coupling .
Then the fun stuff...... Mock speed runs. I have a list of do and donts that I have been working on to go fast. Entry position, course management, no lengthening of the course by over diving, anticipation of turns, roll and bank past 90 degrees,,,,, dont crash,, stuff like that.

F3b is in my blood I guess. Been flying it since 1979, I started F3B at 19 years old.
I was so at home bringing out the Fosa. My attitude an hour into flying became very positive as I had been flying the TD and F3j seen all year and that gets somewhat boring,,,launches and landings ect. ect... The time just flew by!!!! I couldnt get enough of flying time in that day to suit me. If it was warmer and someone else to fly F3b with,,, I would have stayed out till dark or until the frost grew on the wings.
Ya know I had thought for a moment after I wrapped up for the day,,,,,,,, I wish all my flying was just F3b and would trade all my competition soaring for it. I live in the wrong place for F3b. And this country is too big to travel from one end to the other for 5 or 10 F3b events.
Anyway,,,, I got some practice in for the Gator. Im not going to let you guys kick me around!!!! Richard
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:01 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
That is awesome Rich. Tom K, Don Sciegel and I have been flying a bunch trying to really get dialed for the WC. I can't wait for Florida. We had such a great time last year. I am looking forward to you coming again. You did some smoking speed runs with that Fosa last year. I am pretty sure you set a PB and won one or two rounds right?

Have a good one Rich, We are gonna have a blast!
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Burnoski View Post
Ya know,,,,, I dusted my Fosa off and flew her January 11. I want to mention the Fosa is the best flying plane I ever owned in my lifetime of soaring!!!!****

I have to say that I was in heaven. No snow on the ground and about or around 58 degrees and winds 8 to 10 mph.
Of course i was by myself,,,,,,, again..
But it didnt matter!!!!! I was flying F3B!!!!

Anyway,,,, I got some practice in for the Gator. Im not going to let you guys kick me around!!!! Richard
Hey Rich - your message is inspiring and I am so so jealous of you.
I am a wanna be F3B pilot but stories like yours are inspiring enough to keep the "want" burning bright.
See you in a few weeks at the Gator.
Gordon

PS. I have requests from our Chilean friends for the opportunity to either rent or buy three return pulleys. They don't want to bring the heavy and long items from Chile. Can anyone help?
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:43 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
Gator and speed.

Thanks Dave you have always been a cheerleader for me ever since I met you.

Anyway, yes, I won 1 speed round from you guys( round lucky number 7),,, besting the American team and alternate, and the German team and of course our Swiss transplant friend Reto and Dillon Graves flying his Xplorer and a host of other outstanding pilots.

Two personal best in speed at the Gator,, 14.96 and 14.86 and thanks to my caller and the use of his great equipment, Mike Lachowski.

I would like to join the 13 second club. You know that club that when you get a 13 second run, AMA/FAI gives you that Rolex. cant wait!!!!
Doesnt look I will making the USA, F3B team any time soon so I want to get in that elite 13 second club as a personal goal.
Richard
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
I did not get any Rolex, maybe they don't give them to swiss.

That is the spirit Rich, F3B is where it is at!

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:14 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Dang they owe me quite a few Rolexes now
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
I did not get any Rolex, maybe they don't give them to swiss.

That is the spirit Rich, F3B is where it is at!

Reto
Yeah Reto, you would have to make it, and then give it to yourself...

ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:45 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Dang they owe me quite a few Rolexes now
Dave, you don't get one because at the last Gator you had the air for a sub 12s run and made a 13 out of that.

Rolis only for low 12s from now on.

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
LOWWWER!!!
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined May 2011
107 Posts
CAN NOT WAIT for this year's Gator! This will be the first time that I will fly a contest with an F3B plane.... Thank you David (I still have yet to call you before I fly it.) Good Practicing to everyone and I will see you all in March!
TD Dillon is offline Find More Posts by TD Dillon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:41 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,597 Posts
Great News! Another pilot from Germany.

We have a new entry from Germany with Peter Hubbertz joining Armin Hortitz to fly the Gator with us. A very big Welcome to you Peter.
Here below is how the Teams are shaping up.
Still need to hear from DP for sure to complete our teams.
CD
Roman Vojtech (Czech Republic)- YES For Sure

PILOT ROSTER:

David Klein (US Team) - YES For Sure
Tom Kiesling (US Team) - YES For Sure
Darrel Zaballos (US Team) YES For Sure
Glauco Lago (US Team) - YES For Sure

Reto Fiolka (US Misfits)YES For Sure
Mike Lachowski (US Misfits) YES For Sure
Rich Burnoski (US Misfits) Nearly For Sure

Jody Miller (Local Yokels) - YES For Sure
Gordon Buckland (Local Yokels) - YES For Sure
Dillon Graves (Local Yokels) - YES For Sure
Jeff Duval (Local Yokels) - YES For Sure

Andres Cordova (Chile Team) - YES For Sure
Sebastian Vergara (Chile Team) - YES For Sure
Cristian Simon (Chile Team) - YES For Sure
Gonzalo Simon (Chile Team) - YES For Sure

Armin Hortitz (Germany Team) - YES For Sure
Peter Hubbertz (Germany Team) - YES For Sure
Dyno Don Sciegel (Germany Team) - YES For Sure
Tim Traver (Germany Team) - YES For Sure

Daryl Perkins ?
Lance Ropke ?
Paul Perret ?
Brad Baxter ?

HELPER ROSTER:
Phil Rieger
Gerry O'Keefe
David Veitch
Andy Fox
Chuck McCann
Sheralyn Buckland
Kim Graves
John Graves
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by aussief3b; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:32 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,102 Posts
Go ahead and count me in guys...

Dyno and the Germans, I'll fly with ya!

Tim
ttraver is online now Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:35 AM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver View Post
Go ahead and count me in guys...

Dyno and the Germans, I'll fly with ya!

Tim
Great mate!
Now we just need DP to join Mike, and Reto and Rich and we will have a great contest......
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:26 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
Dang, 19 confirmed already, That rocks! I can't wait.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:16 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Wow, Peter and Armin are coming. Both won the Eurotour once, Peter was second at the F3B worlds, Armin was also very successful at worlds with the german team.

Now it is a party!

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,362 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry, but this is a no go for me. I'm traveling for J in the Desert and the Southwest Classic the previous week. Can't take that much time off.

I miss B....

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins