HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,854 Posts
I recently got one myself and thus far have been very pleased with the aircraft. It is a nice size and I can keep the model together when transporting it. What impressed me was how quickly it went together- it took longer to charge the pack then to finish the build. I am currently flying it with a 2200mah 3-cell giving 8-9 minutes easy. She really scoots and is very responsive. I did need to reduce the throw on the ailerons a bit, but once that was done she has been a steady performer. I took her out to the Turkey Electric Fly-in this past weekend and was able to get a couple of flights in- even though as the day went on it got quite windy. But she handled the wind quite well. This plane is quickly becoming one that I will bring to the field on a regular basis.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Uh-oooohh. I might hafta clear a spot for this one!

$89.98 on sale...
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
Yup, gravity is still working!
Dark side of the moon
Joined Oct 2004
844 Posts
This is a great bird! I'm having fun with mine. At $90 I doubt you would regret pulling the trigger
Flying Frank is offline Find More Posts by Flying Frank
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,499 Posts
I added $20 worth of misc. parts I needed to my cart along with the $90 Milennium and got free shipping and another $10 discount. Surely don't need another plane but I just couldn't pass up this deal.

My painted foam planes oftentimes start to look doggy just from normal handling. Anyone have specific recommendations, that they've actually used, for an aerosol can spray clear finish? Ive got, on hand, plasti-kote clear acrylic enamel. Will this be safe on the painted foam?
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I added $20 worth of misc. parts I needed to my cart along with the $90 Milennium and got free shipping and another $10 discount. Surely don't need another plane but I just couldn't pass up this deal.
I had the same strategy - bought another spare $26 Slow Stick with my Millennium to qualify for $10 off and free shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
My painted foam planes oftentimes start to look doggy just from normal handling. Anyone have specific recommendations, that they've actually used, for an aerosol can spray clear finish? Ive got, on hand, plasti-kote clear acrylic enamel. Will this be safe on the painted foam?
I can't speak for your Plasti-Kote or clear enamel. But the water-based Minwax in a spray can works well for me. It's not cheap, however, at about $12 a can. I watched a video review on this plane and it was indeed mentioned that this plane's finish can benefit from such a clear coat to keep the paint from flaking off.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,814 Posts
Most red areas are not paint, is something diferent like a water slide decal, if you notice the bottom of the wing are mate red and the fuselage and top of the wing is a bit glossy, just take a better look, the glossy red chip out very easyName: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353207606.838515.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 38.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353207661.893246.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 34.5 KB
Description:
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
That is purdy bad.

Well, I am armed and ready with wbpu. Mine has not arrived yet.

I hope I don't ever need spare parts for it or I may need to take out a second mortgage
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:29 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,499 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Very well packed, actually triple boxed! Very nice molded foam supports in the box for the components. At only a quick glance so far, the assembly quality looks extremely nice.

These hobbico planes continue to improve and now look to be about as refined as the horizon hobby offerings.

I'll try to get it assembled soon and post some further observations.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Mine arrived well packaged and double boxed, but the left wingtip is a bit banged and sticks up 1/4" higher than it should. The box is in like pristine condition which leads me to believe the wing was damaged before it was boxed up. I think I remember DaxFX having the same issue at the same spot upon delivery. Anyway, would the paint/waterslide be removed if I dunk the wingtip in boiling water? Wondering if I would do it more harm than good.

But yeah, otherwise, I am pleased with the build quality and finish of the model. I just need to clear coat it and swap out a connector this weekend.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Mine arrived well packaged and double boxed, but the left wingtip is a bit banged and sticks up 1/4" higher than it should. The box is in like pristine condition which leads me to believe the wing was damaged before it was boxed up. I think I remember DaxFX having the same issue at the same spot upon delivery. Anyway, would the paint/waterslide be removed if I dunk the wingtip in boiling water? Wondering if I would do it more harm than good.

But yeah, otherwise, I am pleased with the build quality and finish of the model. I just need to clear coat it and swap out a connector this weekend.
I just bent back the wingtip with my hand slowly and got it perfect. The foam wont ceack

What clear coat are you going to use istillhave my 2nd MM in the box waiting for me !
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2010
64 Posts
Motor upgrade

Just had to tell everyone.Only got one flight out of original motor before it sqeauled and burnt-out. Flyzone is making good on it but won't have replacements 'tii next month. Think they are aware of a problem. That being said this bird is still a steal @ 89.00. I just dropped in a rimfire10 I had in my junk box. No mods needed, dirrect replacement. Even balances the same! Here's good part. At 1#15oz with original prop, I get 316 watts. That's 158 plus/ #. That's almost 3d stuff! Out Thanksgiving morn,and Couldn't believe how well this bird flew! Straight up out of sight performance! Really slows down well also. Was getting 9 plus minutes on 2200 3s nanos. Probally even faster with 1800's???::
bigrap is online now Find More Posts by bigrap
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
I just bent back the wingtip with my hand slowly and got it perfect. The foam wont ceack

What clear coat are you going to use istillhave my 2nd MM in the box waiting for me !

I'm gonna spray mine with water based Polycrylic in a spray can.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,499 Posts
My build went smoothly and was done with no real issues. I elected to use epoxy on the tail feathers rather than trying to CA the joints in the tail assembly.

The red finish (which is actually some sort of decal) is very thin and brittle and chipped somewhat on the vertical stab when seating it. The same finish is used on the upper leading edges of the wings. The rest of the red appears to be paint. This delicate finish is my only real complaint with the plane.

Power draw measured about 24.2 amps and 285 watts. AUW was 805g with 1800mah battery.

Did 5 flights today and came back smiling. This is a great flyer - very smooth and stable and it's got plenty of power. Not 3D but plenty for huge loops and fairly aggressive aerobatics. It's described as "zippy" in the assembly manual and I think that is a good way to put it.

Plane has excellent ground handling and takeoffs and landings are predictable and easy to get right - just keep a little power on until right before touchdown and it settles in nicely every time.

Anyone "on the fence" about this plane, I'd suggest that it's a seriously good deal for $90.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:21 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,499 Posts
I'm suprised at the lack of interest in this plane. I got a couple of more flights on mine this evening and I'm liking it even more.

Measured prop rpm is about 9380 with the supplied prop which gives a calculated pitch speed of just over 40 mph. The plane is not very fast but has good thrust. A prop with more pitch would probably improve the speed - supplied is a 9x4.7 sf.

I have on hand an APC 9x6sf and a GWS 9x7.5HD that I might try. But since I'm not a speed freak it's not a big deal to me.

Flight characteristics are pretty much as I noted above - the plane tracks like it's on rails and feels much larger than its size. I could find no bad tendencies; stalls are soft and straightforward, control response is very linear, inverted is smooth and stable and even a knife edge is sustainable for a short distance.

Anyone else flying one and have other observations?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
I am stoked to read of the flight reports you guys are getting with these, and also surprised at the lack of interest. Especially since they're currently marked down nearly 50% off.

Mine's masked off and ready for a varnish spray tomorrow. Looking forward to a maiden Sunday.

I already have visions of a Rimfire 10 swirling round in my head.