HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,135 Posts
Cool
Do you draw your own circuits by hand?

Would you like them to be 'pro' looking?

This is a very cool, and free, website that helps make circuit drawings. Check it out!

https://www.circuitlab.com/
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
I have been using the schematic portion of ExpressPCB.com for years to draw my schematics.

http://www.expresspcb.com
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:03 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,278 Posts
Cool.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
I also use ExpressPCB, both to make the schematics and PCB artwork. Easy to learn. Easy to make your own components and add to the library.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:08 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,135 Posts
Oh yeah, that is cool thanks!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:29 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,054 Posts
I draw everything by hand. I used to be a draftsman years ago and really find hand drawing relaxing. Slow as it is, I like it.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
They're drawn in my head.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
875 Posts
It's all spaghetti to me!
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:19 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,270 Posts
I was doing a drawing with pencil and paper out in the yard last year, I was ca;;ed away to the phone and put my eyeglasses down on the board. I now get kidded that even doing electronic circuits on paper I can let the magic smoke out.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
If you draw your circuit board layout by hand or with a program, you will need to etch the board. I did a thread a while ago on how to etch circuit boards. If it's any use to those trying to create a board, here is the thread. There is a PDF file in the first post, that explains how to do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360740
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_nj View Post
If you draw your circuit board layout by hand or with a program, you will need to etch the board. I did a thread a while ago on how to etch circuit boards. If it's any use to those trying to create a board, here is the thread. There is a PDF file in the first post, that explains how to do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360740
I had copied your PDF a while back haven't got around to making a board yet. I am reading a book on robotic (Arduino Robotics) and they have a chapter on making Circuit boards. They say that as an alternative to ferric acid you can use 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide + 1 part Muriatic acid as an etchant solution. Another thing they use is glossy magazine paper as a toner transfer medium. They give a bit of a tutorial on using Eagle from CadSoft freeware version max 4" X 3.2" board.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
I gave glossy magazine paper a try back then. It did not work to well for me that's why I went to the overhead transparency. Some of this is hit or miss and figure out what works best. Ferric Chloride is still available in the Radio Shack by me so I have my supply. Some places online sell it in powder form. You need to be very careful with any of these chemicals. I ruined a pair of jeans getting some FC on them, it just stained them. Muriatic Acid is just plain nasty.

I also have an Arduino and eventually have plans to control lights while a boat is on display. Basically use it to control lights going on and off in a timed sequence. I'll have to build a add-on board with relays to plug into the Arduino for this. And it will give me practice writing the code. Looking forward to doing this.