Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
SRM
Ontario, CANADA
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
Rant
Shipping for FREE....Really?

Some may have noticed that I've been listing several items for sale lately. I've realized that I just won't get to most (if not all) of the projects on my bucket list and I thought it best to sell off some things I've been treasuring for the last 30 years or so.

I've listed various items and I've had some luck, but a trend I'm seeing these days is buyers expecting FREE shipping on everything. What gives with that anyway?

I've listed items for what I believe is fair and most of the things I've listed are brand new and still in the bax. I have gone out of my way to make it as clear as I can to prospective buyers that I'm in Canada. Despite that people all expect dirt cheap shipping or free. Ticks me off and needed to blow off some steam

Steve
SRM is online now Find More Posts by SRM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Mar 2011
78 Posts
Trader Rating: 63
Steve
I was guilty of it with you also.
I Did not realize the Canada shipping was so expensive
You were more than fair with splitting the shipping with me
Bill
1lasportsman is offline Find More Posts by 1lasportsman
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,210 Posts
Trader Rating: 89
a subtle way of saying its included in the price
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
921 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
I check shipping to cali then add that to the price of the item im selling, that way im covered for sure and its listed with one price shipped CONUS.
Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
267 Posts
Trader Rating: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
a subtle way of saying its included in the price
Ditto. People just prefer to see the entire price they'll need to pay upfront. Work the shipping cost into your asking price to begin with, and everyone ends up happy.

Might be a little different to estimate that out for across the border shipments, though. Free shipping is just offered in so many other places on the net that sellers have gotten an unfair sense of the value of shipping costs.

I'll usually just shoot a seller an offer of $5 or $10 more than their asking price if they post the cost "plus shipping", depending on the size of the item.
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Trader Rating: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett1234567 View Post
I check shipping to cali then add that to the price of the item im selling, that way im covered for sure and its listed with one price shipped CONUS.
Garrett
That is exactly what I do.
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,534 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
People do negotiate no matter the price. Don't get in a knot
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,626 Posts
I do that-add longest distance shipping,to what I actually want for an item,plus "paperwork"(ins.,del.conf)..But I won't negotiate......my ad is my price.

For some people,haggling is part of the deal,without considering it may be the best buy out there anyway.

One guy wanted to know how much shipping was,so he knew how much he was paying for a kit.
I ship 3rd day priority mail,and engines usually ride for about $13.00,anywhere.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Trader Rating: 50
The best are long distance lowball offers that dont even cover the cost of shipping.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:24 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
The best are long distance lowball offers that dont even cover the cost of shipping.
Yep ! But ask them how much they want, to ship to you! They want the postage,plus time and inconvenience pay,for going to the Post Office,standing in line,etc.IT's a whole new ball game if they're shipping !

For me,-That's my price,and I'm stickin' to it.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,619 Posts
Trader Rating: 150
Test...
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,229 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Yep!

I just got one today. $100 shipped for a hangar 9 D7 biplane. The thing is practically new and it would be at least $50 to ship and another $50 in packaging supplies. Gotta love ;$/@/ people like that
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Yep!

I just got one today. $100 shipped for a hangar 9 D7 biplane. The thing is practically new and it would be at least $50 to ship and another $50 in packaging supplies. Gotta love ;$/@/ people like that
OH,but you need money and I would "take it off your hands" for $100 shipped. Then they will cry and whine about the little nit picky things and want $25 refund from you or come here and drag you thru the mud;

Yep,you gotta love some of the"wheeler dealers" that have come here lately.
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:24 AM
Insert witty comment here...
Scranton Pa
Joined Jun 2008
199 Posts
Trader Rating: 93
Thats why i list anymore free shipping to the lower 48. Then out of that area i do this. If something costs 20 dollars to ship to say canada i will tell buyer price and i will pay 5 dollars towards it. I always print my price on the label so they will see the cost. That usually always makes the sale then. I have already factored u.s. shipping into the price, so no sense to make someone outside the us pay more then whats fair.
Curt S is offline Find More Posts by Curt S
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,229 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkus View Post
OH,but you need money and I would "take it off your hands" for $100 shipped. Then they will cry and whine about the little nit picky things and want $25 refund from you or come here and drag you thru the mud;

Yep,you gotta love some of the"wheeler dealers" that have come here lately.

Haha.. Exactly! We could all use the money,but if we all sold the stuff for what it would cost us to ship it, then we aren't really gaining anything other than 1 less airplane, now are we....
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast