SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,205 Posts
Got my frame, just ordered 10A proton ESCs and the 1811-2000kv motors... can't wait, will post photos once it's done.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Hi guys... I am a total newb to this stuff, I used to have a couple tamiya cars years back so I know a very, little about R/C. Very Little that is..lol anyhow I discovered this thread while researching the 808 16V2 cam and am interested in this tri-copter thanks to the vids and photos you all posted. I am considering getting one now. my problem is this: Is there a list of things needed to get this baby and fly it? I copied down some of your info but I'm getting confused cause a few different brands and part numbers are used by you all. Can anyone provide a list of the complete package? Like:
Copter ( I actually know this one...lol)
Motors
Radio
Servos
Speed Controllers
Batteries
Other stuff needed to build this.

And can I also get an idea on what it will cost me to buy it all? I dont need the best of the best, i wont be racing or competing, in fact, I wont be doing much more than flying it around the house with my 4 Yard Nephew and such.

Thanks alot everyone!!
zacker is offline Find More Posts by zacker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:04 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Zack, the Micro Tricopter is probably an intermediate to advanced kit -- probably not the best one to start with. Honestly, the price of building the larger one is almost the same and you will find it a little easier to fly.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
Zack, the Micro Tricopter is probably an intermediate to advanced kit -- probably not the best one to start with. Honestly, the price of building the larger one is almost the same and you will find it a little easier to fly.
Thats funny, I was just on the BlueSky site and saw the bigger one and was comming back here to ask if it was better or not / more $$$... lol I guess the biggest expense will be the radio and related parts?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacker View Post
Thats funny, I was just on the BlueSky site and saw the bigger one and was comming back here to ask if it was better or not / more $$$... lol I guess the biggest expense will be the radio and related parts?
Yep, and you don't crash the radio either!

Most of the product pages describe most of the recommended parts. You may want to look into an easy to program and setup flight control board for the copter -- that is another realm of research required for you. Some are complex yet very rewarding and others are easy to setup and get going. There is also a build thread for the larger Tricopter here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453508
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
thanks!! That was me on your youtube vid today.... "hdrjunkie" is my name there cause google decided to make me use my email name....lol

ill go check out that thread thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
What battery are you guys using?My nano-tech 850mAh is to thick for the legs touching the ground. Need a another thinner 3s battery.Any suggestions?
flow23 is offline Find More Posts by flow23
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow23 View Post
What battery are you guys using?My nano-tech 850mAh is to thick for the legs touching the ground. Need a another thinner 3s battery.Any suggestions?
I like using the 500mAh 3S packs from HobbyPartz.com
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,205 Posts
I'm using 950mah 2S packs.... 500mah 3S are pretty slim.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
I use those same lipos, it doesn't really matter that the legs don't all touch the ground for me ...
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPackin View Post
I use those same lipos, it doesn't really matter that the legs don't all touch the ground for me ...
Yeah, I don't care if the legs don't touch at all.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Is anyone flying with MWC and has proper PID settings?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone flying with MWC and has proper PID settings?
PID settings really depend on the gyro sensor you are using.
I am using a genuine Wii Motionplus on mine and put the P values down to 3.5 or so.
Also, balance all your props and motors really well. The tiny thing hates vibrations.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
OK, I will try to turn down the MPU filter frequency. I'm familiar with balacing my props but how do you balace your motors?!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,878 Posts
Quote:
OK, I will try to turn down the MPU filter frequency. I'm familiar with balacing my props but how do you balace your motors?!
Do a search, some people run them up with the props off and then move a piece of tape out on the outer edge of the motor bell until they get it running smooth.