HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Hi I am interested in building this as my first multirotor.

Is the 2.1 HK KK controller acceptable for use with this?

Do I want JR or Futaba plug for the GWS servo?

And if anyone could select a cheap radio/transmitter for use with this that would be great...

Thanks
brianfast is offline Find More Posts by brianfast
Last edited by brianfast; Jul 04, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:47 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfast View Post
Hi I am interested in building this as my first multirotor.

Is the 2.1 HK KK controller acceptable for use with this?

Do I want JR or Futaba plug for the GWS servo?

And if anyone could select a cheap radio/transmitter for use with this that would be great...

Thanks
So, not only is this your first multi rotor, is it your first RC craft?

The servo plugs into the flight control board so the servo cable should not matter. As for the kk board on there it should work if you load the Tricopter firmware.
Qrome is online now Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
I had that same KK board on my tricopter. It's my first RC craft (unless you count the plane I crashed on the first flight last year). The KK board was tough to work with. I finally got it flying alright, but then my MultiWii board from RCTimer came. Just a few bucks more, and it flies WAY WAY better than that KK board ever did, even with no adjustment from the default PID values.

If you want a KK board, get the KK2 board which has accelerometers for auto-level. I love my cheap MultiWii board though, and from what I can tell, MultiWii has a lot more features.

$24.99 for the cheap board
$40 or so for the one with magnetometer and barometer. (I got this one)

One thing I really had problems with was the sensitivity of the throttle. I switched my radio to heli mode to get a throttle curve, and that has made it MUCH better. I suggest trying to find a radio with throttle curve, especially if you are just learning. The Turnigy 9x is like $53 at HobbyKing. I placed my order last week, and it just shipped on Monday. It was backordered too. Some people wait much longer to get one. I think FlySky has a radio that is identical.
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPackin View Post
Apparently these can be flashed with Simon-K firmware
I've been looking into flashing them - just ordered an AVR programmer, but I'm not yet sure how I'm going to connect it to the small pads on the ESCs (don't really want to solder/desolder each)

Wondering if I can abuse a SOIC test clip (http://www.warwickts.com/5251--14pin...test-clip-p564) to connect to those pads - as they're both 1.27mm spacing - that could make bulk flashing a lot less hassle... Either that or a chopped up PCI connector, as that's also the same spacing...

Anyway, I've built+painted my micro tri frame, all the parts are here, I just want to flash the ESCs before wiring it up...
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Spent the afternoon flashing ESCs and building the Tri:

Far more successful than my Micro V-Tail build - less beginner's mistakes this time, and I understand MultiWii a fair bit more this time around . For the servo linkage, I used a spare linkage from a Walkera V120D02s, which was about the right length.

With the SimonK-flashed HK ESCs, it certainly seems smoother than my V-Tail build, although it needs some PID tuning, once my lipos have recharged

The only real problem I had with the build was the yaw servo not centering - it was going straight to one extent on power-up. Eventually managed to get MultiWii to reset it's saved settings, and it's OK now.

For the ESC flashing, I bought one of those SOIC test clips (although a slightly cheaper one from Farnell):

(Excuse my terrible, terrible soldering...)

Worked out pretty well - it still took a fair bit of wiggling/repositioning to get a connection - but there's no way I'd have succeeded by just holding a ribbon cable onto the pads for the ~20sec it takes to flash, as some people are doing, at least for larger ESCs...
Last edited by bluescrn; Jul 21, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:15 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,822 Posts
That is great... Looking cool in all black too.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescrn View Post

Far more successful than my Micro V-Tail build - less beginner's mistakes this time, and I understand MultiWii a fair bit more this time around . For the servo linkage, I used a spare linkage from a Walkera V120D02s, which was about the right length.

With the SimonK-flashed HK ESCs, it certainly seems smoother than my V-Tail build, although it needs some PID tuning, once my lipos have recharged

The only real problem I had with the build was the yaw servo not centering - it was going straight to one extent on power-up. Eventually managed to get MultiWii to reset it's saved settings, and it's OK now.

For the ESC flashing, I bought one of those SOIC test clips (although a slightly cheaper one from Farnell):

(Excuse my terrible, terrible soldering...)

Worked out pretty well - it still took a fair bit of wiggling/repositioning to get a connection - but there's no way I'd have succeeded by just holding a ribbon cable onto the pads for the ~20sec it takes to flash, as some people are doing, at least for larger ESCs...
Hi bluescrn,

nice build. Can you post some more pictures of your tail setup with the linkage and servo? I ordered one too and I don't know how to link the servo and the tail yet. What did you use to paint it black? Did you seal the plywood against liquids or moisture?

Flo
flow23 is offline Find More Posts by flow23
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:

very nice, and with the 2900kv motors
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow23 View Post
Hi bluescrn,

nice build. Can you post some more pictures of your tail setup with the linkage and servo? I ordered one too and I don't know how to link the servo and the tail yet. What did you use to paint it black? Did you seal the plywood against liquids or moisture?

Flo
My linkage is very simple, and using some spare parts that I had from a micro heli (Walkera V120D02s linkage parts)

It's not perfect though - because of the geometry of the linkage, the movement isn't very symmetrical. Anticlockwise movement of the servo (as viewed from the rear of the tri) will produce larger tilts than clockwise movements of the same amount. I think this is at least part of the reason why I've never got the yaw quite stable - in hover, it always wants to rotate at least a little bit, even after a fair bit of tweaking the length of the linkage and the PID settings.

Paint - I just gave it a few coats from a can of Rustoleum enamel spray paint before assembling it. It's not an amazing finish, I didn't have any primer, which might have helped. But well, it looks OK, and it's black I don't plan to fly it anywhere wet - but I'd be more concerned about the exposed electronics than the plywood if flying it in rain or landing on wet grass!

The motors - unfortunately they're not the 1811-2900Kv, they're 2211-2300Kv, which are really a bit too big/heavy for this tri. (I've just built another micro quad with the 1811-2900Kv, and those little motors are excellent in combination with my SimonK-flashed 10A ESCs - really smooth, quiet, and powerful for their size. I should get myself a set for the tri, really, if they're still in stock)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
My linkage is very simple, and using some spare parts that I had from a micro heli (Walkera V120D02s linkage parts)

It's not perfect though - because of the geometry of the linkage, the movement isn't very symmetrical. Anticlockwise movement of the servo (as viewed from the rear of the tri) will produce larger tilts than clockwise movements of the same amount. I think this is at least part of the reason why I've never got the yaw quite stable - in hover, it always wants to rotate at least a little bit, even after a fair bit of tweaking the length of the linkage and the PID settings.

Paint - I just gave it a few coats from a can of Rustoleum enamel spray paint before assembling it. It's not an amazing finish, I didn't have any primer, which might have helped. But well, it looks OK, and it's black I don't plan to fly it anywhere wet - but I'd be more concerned about the exposed electronics than the plywood if flying it in rain or landing on wet grass!

The motors - unfortunately they're not the 1811-2900Kv, they're 2211-2300Kv, which are really a bit too big/heavy for this tri. (I've just built another micro quad with the 1811-2900Kv, and those little motors are excellent in combination with my SimonK-flashed 10A ESCs - really smooth, quiet, and powerful for their size. I should get myself a set for the tri, really, if they're still in stock)
Thank you for the details,
do you think 1811-2000kv are enough on 3s for the tricopter?
flow23 is offline Find More Posts by flow23
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow23 View Post
Thank you for the details,
do you think 1811-2000kv are enough on 3s for the tricopter?
oh yeah, that's what I have on mine and it flies great
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
I built several larger Tricopters and I want an indoor Tri and saw this micro.
From another project, I have a 2211 1700Kv Turnigy motor and a plush 10A esc. Buying a 2 more of each would get me there quick and cheap. What's your thoughts on 1700kV? too slow. it can swing a 7-8 inch SF prop on 2S but that won't work here.
your thoughts would be appreciated,
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
I built several larger Tricopters and I want an indoor Tri and saw this micro.
From another project, I have a 2211 1700Kv Turnigy motor and a plush 10A esc. Buying a 2 more of each would get me there quick and cheap. What's your thoughts on 1700kV? too slow. it can swing a 7-8 inch SF prop on 2S but that won't work here.
your thoughts would be appreciated,
H
This frame only works with a 5 inch prop max -- otherwise the prop will be flying over the center frame into the flight control board.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
This frame only works with a 5 inch prop max -- otherwise the prop will be flying over the center frame into the flight control board.
What kind of performance will 1700kv give with 5x4x3 blades?
Is it just not enough speed to create lift with 5" props?
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
What kind of performance will 1700kv give with 5x4x3 blades?
Is it just not enough speed to create lift with 5" props?
H
I would run it with 3 cell packs for sure. It may work ok. Generally when going to a 3 blade prop you go down an inch from what you would use in a 2 blade. 2000kv would probably be best.