HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Help!
Wanted: external drive pod for rudder of model sailing ship

I've been searching for ages for a ready-made propulsion unit to attach to the rudder of my 1:36 HMS Beagle. I know the talented folks at the Scale Sailboat forums have constructed their own, such as this description from Dan: "The module is ez-on/ez-off with nylon ties and a power plug. The ESC will be permanently mounted in the hull. Motor is Faulhaber heavy-duty ball bearing, end caps are 1/2" plastic pipe fitting turned down/shaped, prop is Graupner 60mm 4-blade. Shaft seal is from Mike's Subworks, covered with a secondary bicycle cable bellows seal. Power plug is Dean's micro connector."

Not having any experience in working with motors, I've been hunting a dozen websites trying to find a ready-made unit that I can simply attach to my rudder and plug into my transmitter.

Any ideas? When I look at the websites that sell the components I don't seem to come across anything that's already assembled and ready to attach and run. Is this really such an unusual thing?
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,810 Posts
You will probably have to make your own using PVC pipe, and a stuffing tube and some other parts.

The only really commercial unit is the Tamiya Submarine motor, which is too small for
most hobby applications, or modifying a small trolling motor for your use.

http://www.hobbymasters.com/Tamiya-S...-Boat-Kit.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/SevylorŪ-12V-T...pr_product_top
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Thanks for the response Umi. I tried using one of the Tamiya subs before. But I really need something a little bigger that's controllable with the R/C. I'm still surprised there isn't any manufacturer that makes something like this.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,333 Posts
Head over to the VacUboat site, and look at the parts available. The instructions for the tug itself (drive train part) might give you ideas on parts needed and how to make your own.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/FireBoat.htm
-----------------
This guy knows subs and makes parts. His experimenter's kit for a torpedo might work. You could email him with your requirements and see what he says. I've not done business with him, just saw his ad for his new webpage.

http://www.scalemodelcastings.com/Su...kits_c_46.html
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Jun 22, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
I can hook him up. Thanks Brooks! I love making stuff like this.

Would this be something that anyone else would be interested in? I mean like a good looking prop unit for the SC&H line of models? I guess it would be nice to have some motor control with those ships huh

Those SC&H ships are awesome, someday I want one (or build one similar myself)
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
Brooks: Thanks for the info. I sent him an email.

SilentHunter. Well I guess I sent the email to you lol. Here were the contents for anyone wanting to add their two cents:

Hello. I'm looking for a ready-made propulsion unit to attach to the rudder of my 1:36 HMS Beagle. You can find a description with pictures of an external drive pod that DanL made on this thread from RC Groups forum (post 215): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...520465&page=15

Here is the text description of what he did: "The module is ez-on/ez-off with nylon ties and a power plug. The ESC will be permanently mounted in the hull. Motor is Faulhaber heavy-duty ball bearing, end caps are 1/2" plastic pipe fitting turned down/shaped, prop is Graupner 60mm 4-blade. Shaft seal is from Mike's Subworks, covered with a secondary bicycle cable bellows seal. Power plug is Dean's micro connector."

I think he changed the design later on to use two 50mm 3-blade props. I think he also had some issues with burning out a fuse at one point. I'll also be using this unit to power a larger SC&H brig, which weighs about 70 pounds and is five feet long.

So any idea how much such a thing would cost me? Someone at the rc groups forum recommended I try you on this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677186
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:50 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,333 Posts
SH, I'd buy one or two. I've always wanted a pod that I could attach to the bottom of static ship models to make them into easy RC. All those Revelle ships that I made as a kid but desperately wanted to see on the pond, you know :-).

I was working on a motor pod last summer for my 2 dynamic diver Nautilus models (they are rubberband powered, and work great, but I'd like longer runs underwater). I never completed it, got sidetracked. But a motor unit that could be attached to various hulls, something with rc throttle and rudder, and of hobby quality rather than the toy units I've seen occasionally, would definitely get some $ from me. Think of the Lego boats that could be rc'ed, too, so there might be a market among the huge Lego group.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks