HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:47 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,184 Posts
Answers for Mintie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie View Post
Well guys ...seeing as you both have a model that flys like s@$&*t .. can I ask a few questions here,as I would like mine to fly a tad better.
what wing sections are being used?
Answer: Clark Y I'm guessing, good section

what is the wing AOA ? Answer: Longitudunal dihedral is big, about 5 degrees. Tried with less and it was worse.

What wing incidence did you use.?
Answer: Plus 5 degrees

what is the tail plane AOA set at?
Answer zero degrees, flat plate section

Any washout at the tip?
Answer: No wash in or out . The planform shouldn't need any. Use Bushnalls lift Roll spread sheet if you want to look at this . look it up on the web.

cheers Mintie
See answers above Mintie.
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie View Post
Well guys ...seeing as you both have a model that flys like s@$&*t .. can I ask a few questions here,as I would like mine to fly a tad better.

cheers Mintie
Don't panic, I think your's will be better simply because of your size.
Both mine and Allans' are off the same plan, so see his answers.

Don't forget, the original wasn't much of a preformer either

Looking good so far,
Phillip C

PS: I would only dissagree with the section to use, try an E205, might get better penetration.
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
Thanks guys....not really a panic here,but would like it to fly reasonable...Yes you are right the full size was not a real performer,but I dont want a 12 ft span glider hanging from my ceiling either.
I build all mine to fly and it will.
Might look at that wing section Phill,and compare with what I have.
My other two gliders just have a ClarkY and they perform real well. and head into the wind and they go.
Anyway will keep building and see what the end result is.
cheers.
mintie is online now Find More Posts by mintie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,184 Posts
Sections

I agree with Phil, big will go better. Higher Reynolds number = better efficiency. 205 or Clark Y are fine. Clark Y is a good section but always build it with the correct raised leading edge. Makes a big difference to penetration. It actually has a sweet spot at about Cl = .3. That will correspond to about 2 time stall speed so it should penetrate home OK after the thermal ride down wind. 205 is a little faster as Phil says. If you have Profili you can play around with this stuff.

Allan
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:43 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
Drew up my plan for the elevators and stabilator,and now have some if it built.
The stabilator is now fitted to the fuse,and will make up the struts tomorrow.
All of the stab and elevators will come off for transport,so it is bolted to the fuse.
Finish off the elevators and coupling link,which will also drive them and fit these to the stab.
In the pics the cardboard is my lining up tool.
The card has a C/L which lines up with the vertical fin C/L and two lines equal distance down from the top on each side are the stab line up marks.
A piece of cake to get every thing nice and square.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:28 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
elevators done,just a bit of sanding and shaping. Each elevator weighs 16gms.and the stab weighs 29gms.
Have made the connector and everything works nice and smooth.
With the struts on you can lift the whole plane off the ground and hold it by the tail feathers. Nice and light but strong.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,184 Posts
Good to see that tall rudder Mintie. Good move.

Allan
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
I took your advise, then I found a few old pics of the T31 mk 3 with a 3 view and did some measuring and added another 20mm on top of all that.So I now have a tall rudder.

chees.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
The Kadet/Tutor that I flew a few years ago and had the same wing as the T31 two seater did have an effective rudder although you did have to use it and certainly with my Keith Humber plan model you do have to use more rudder than normal to do your final and crosswind turns in particular but stops your left hand getting no practice!
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,184 Posts
That's my problem then, I have ailerons on the left! (Mode 4)
I must admit I tend to be a 2 axis flier but mix rudder with ailerons in the radio. It's not quite what the T31 needs though so I'm sure your approach is better.

Allan
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Yes I mix rudder with ailerons on the radio but only a small percentage as too much and you skid in turns when thermalling. All I was saying was that to get the model to definitely tight turn you need the independent rudder which automatically overides any rudder already in your mix on the radio.
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
596 Posts
yeah using rudder is no problem..am use to that as did a lot of 3D flying and have quiet a bit of rotory wing time as well. Both these disciplines require a lot of rudder use and mine is on the left hand with the elevator.
I do not own a progammable radio with any of this fancy mixing so all mine is done with my hands. Like is that way, over 600hrs flight time and never needed so far. Dont have any programmable controls in any of the full size I fly.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,700 Posts
Good on ya! (not needing fancy schmancy computer stuff)
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Good on ya! (not needing fancy schmancy computer stuff)
Says the guy with the fancy schmancy computer radio!

Tom
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
That's my problem then, I have ailerons on the left! (Mode 4)
I must admit I tend to be a 2 axis flier but mix rudder with ailerons in the radio. It's not quite what the T31 needs though so I'm sure your approach is better.

Allan
Well well, someone else that doesn't conform to the masses . . .
I happen to fly mode 3. Ele - Ail on left stick. Just like the real thing. Anyone else fly this way?

As for the big rudder, the model I have (short rudder) showed a very powerful rudder for the short 'sandhill hops' I did to test the balance recently.
Unfortunatly never got to test this on the BIG hill or the recent aerotow I attended. I say aerotow but actually it should have been a kite day we had so much wind. (FWIW - I always carry a couple of kites in the car just for such occasions.

Good to see some more progress though, don't let the xmas break slow you down . . .too much.

Phillip C
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer