SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by rbcodell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Sold
IR (infrared) Cut Filters for Cameras

I just received an order of IR cut filters from Changchun Worldhawk Optoelectronics in Hong Kong. These are for FPV cameras that lack IR filters The filters are 8.8 x 8.2 mm, blue glass, 0.7 mm thick, and screen out IR longer than 650 nanometers (see attached graph). These are ideal for inexpensive cameras that lack IR filters, and improve daylight color resolution significantly. They are meant to be mounted in place of the glass plate covering 1/3 inch CCD or CMOS detectors, but can also be mounted on 1/4 inch detectors, in front of the lens, or in back of the lens (trimming probably required for back of the lens mounts).

I ordered these for my own use, but had to get 100 of them. I am making them available to the FPV community at a low cost before I put them up for sale on EBay. The cost is $3 each or 4 for $10 shipped first class mail in USA. International shipping slightly higher, depending on the first class postage overseas.

If interested, send PM. Paypal payment to richardcodell@yahoo.com.

This was the first opportunity to run a live test. I used a cheap CMOS spy camera (Ebay special, about $8) that didn't have a IR cut filter or optics. I took the filter and pressed it into a plastic lens cap which I had cut out a square window. Without the filter, the trees and grass appeared white. When I put in the filter, the colors were very natural with true green grass and trees.

[
I carefully trimmed the edges of the filter with small wire clippers. I think a sissors would work better. I got a more or less round shape that would fit on the end of the lens. I glued it on with epoxy, carefully so it didn't bleed into the field of view. As a precaution, I painted the outside edge of the filter with black paint to keep light from getting into the rough edges. It seemed to work just fine.

Also, it would be possible to glue the filter directly on top of the other cover glass. I have a camera on which this was done, but you need to be sure to use an optical grade glue or epoxy, and carefully avoid bubbles.
rbcodell is offline Find More Posts by rbcodell
Last edited by rbcodell; Jun 24, 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Trimming filter to fit on lens end
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
Could this be used and would it improve daylight color resolution on the SC2000 PZ0420?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....8mm-lens.html
kingiggy262 is offline Find More Posts by kingiggy262
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingiggy262 View Post
Could this be used and would it improve daylight color resolution on the SC2000 PZ0420?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....8mm-lens.html
I can't guarantee that the filter would help. It depends on whether the camera or lens already has an infrared cut filter in it. Many if not most security cameras don't have one because they are usually used indoors, or at night where its an advantage to have infrared sensitivity.

If the camera has a filter, take off the lens and see if there is a colored or highly reflective cover over the sensor. If the lens has a filter, you will likely see a red hue on the surfaces. Another way of testing the camera is to use a TV remote control and see how well the camera picks up the light from the infrared LEDs. If they show bright, then the camera lacks a good IR filter.

If you are not satisfied with the colors your camera gives, especially things like green grass showing up brown and trees white, then its highly likely that it lacks an infrared filter.

The camera you cited looks fairly typical and I suspect you can use the filter over the sensor or behind or ahead of the lens.

Dick
rbcodell is offline Find More Posts by rbcodell
Last edited by rbcodell; Jun 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: can filter be used on this camera?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Postage

As per my PM to you I just transferred $10.

I'm in Aus & didn't read your post (above) fully. If you want more for shipping LMK.
I want to C OSD is offline Find More Posts by I want to C OSD
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcodell View Post
I just received an order of IR cut filters from Changchun... [/COLOR]
Hi... I don't know how they managed it, given the effort you put into packing the 4 lenses, but between USP & Aus Post they've managed to shatter 3 of the 4 lenses! They must stamp the envelopes with a rather heavy whack in order to do this.

I'll send an email with an attached photo to your PayPal address (listed in your first post) within the next few days - left my sim card adapter at a remote site.
I want to C OSD is offline Find More Posts by I want to C OSD
Closed Thread