HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1868 View Post
Does it come with the VTX and is so what freq & output? I don't want to use 5.8 due to interference and range issues.

Would have been cool if they incorporated some telemetry data in the video stream similar to Eagletree. Could then record that data to assist in analyzing any FOD in lieu of on board logging.
Brett
It will not come with VTx, you can use any Vtx of your choice, DJI has 5.8GHZ VTx on offer for $200, I believe it's Airwave module which you can switch channel remotely, not sure anyone want to switch channel in the air, it will be nice if they can switch my Vrx channel too
piccoloflyer is online now Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1868 View Post
Resonate frequency is the term I believe. This post makes perfect sense, might have to build a test rig and measure some vibration levels and see what numbers cause the most white flashes in the FC. Might be a simple issue of not holding a certain throttle point too long or possibly working out a better method to isolate the IMU from vibration. I've never liked the small clearance it has around the frame, I'd be much happier if it had a clear 5mm all around. I saw a picture I believe is the next version of the main frame and the IMU has far more clearance. I still suspect the IMU is copping way too much vibration and feeding wrong data to the FC leading to the FOD.
Yeah A good idea, we need more facts about what is going on. I have known issues where the IMU was stuck to the frame with soft rubber double sided tape and the result was far worse than the almost rigid stuff that DJI supply. The wrong frequency can increase the vibration.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
Finland, Helsinki
Joined Aug 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
I have known issues where the IMU was stuck to the frame with soft rubber double sided tape and the result was far worse than the almost rigid stuff that DJI supply. The wrong frequency can increase the vibration.
wow...I never thought of this! I attached my IMU using different strong double sided tape that is very thin but rubber like. This is maybe something I will have to swap over!
koptercam is offline Find More Posts by koptercam
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
519 Posts
I'm using the 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape. Ever since last year. But I always mount it dead center, I dont have luck mounting it else where even with proper measurement.

+1 on widening the clearance of the IMU on the top plate
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckBasher View Post
I'm using the 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape. Ever since last year. But I always mount it dead center, I dont have luck mounting it else where even with proper measurement.

+1 on widening the clearance of the IMU on the top plate
I think if it is moving as far as the frame when you have centered it, then you have a bad problem elsewhere. Can't think of any good reason not to have it in the center. I often wonder why they did that.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
519 Posts
I am also wondering unless the plan was to mount the GPS in the middle (maybe hehe). Anyway, my problem is not really that it will not work its just that the IMU is more tolerant on varying condition and easier to tune the gains than mounting it elsewhere. It will work on other parts but the video you can notice a more bouncy flight and have to always change gains. But you could be right I may have other problems but tried it on 3 different frames and same observation (i could be bias). Unless the reason is my frame is flexing more on other edges than in center...or vibration is stronger there...I'd just put them in center since i have much luck with it.

In all this discussion is really getting interesting, just hope DJI can share and maybe consider our observations (I wish) in hope to get rid of the FOD
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
s800 arm reinforcement

Don't know about the best way to reinforce the s800 arms to reduce unwanted resonance frequencies (if reinforcing the arms is even the answer); but, here is an idea I've been toying with:

Put CF I-beams (or perhaps just T-beams, which could be made from a cut I-beam) into the hollow that is already found within the s800 arms. One could even practice with one of the $20 RC Timer arms, assuming they're built exactly the same way. You'd just have to open one end of the hollow near the motor, and slide the beam down, assuming the hollow is more or less the same dimensions throughout the length of the arm. Then just inject an appropriate epoxy.

Of course, assuming the flexy arms are contributing to serious problems, it'd be "nicer" if DJI were to replace our s800 arms with more suitable ones.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
I've put carbon square tubes under the arms like fsimao222 did. And I got better results. Video had much less vibrations also during high wind fight. So if I manage to reinforce also left and right wobble I can see a winner here
miza is offline Find More Posts by miza
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miza View Post
I've put carbon square tubes under the arms like fsimao222 did. And I got better results. Video had much less vibrations also during high wind fight. So if I manage to reinforce also left and right wobble I can see a winner here
I think we are getting somewhere.
Today I'm changing my IMU to the new one and I will try something different,
I will put the IMU in the center of the center plate and put the GPS in the IMU previews location of the IMU, Because in the center the vibrations are much smaller than closer to the arms and they are equal from all sides.
Maybe this makes the IMU less confused, because when it is in the back the vibrations come stronger from M4 and M5 because of the distance between arms and IMU. In the center it have the same distance to all arms, so the vibration is equal from all sides.

I think this could be an improvement
fsimao222 is offline Find More Posts by fsimao222
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
New iOSD

The new iOSD sells for $199.99
The new 5.8G Video Downlink sells for 209.99

We will also have a WKM OSD combo for $1275

We will start shipping Pre orders around Sept 26th.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
Anyone know what channels the 5.8 downlink is going to operate on? Fatshark/Immersion compatible or not?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
I see they posted on the YouTube video comments - "Now just for WooKong-M,for naza soon."
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Everything has a resonance freq. like many have posted already. We have fought this for years on AP helis. Just changing the landing gear could cause the chicken dance. There are You Tube videos of full size helis being tested for resonance. Its crazy how they self destruct.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:14 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Sep 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM.