SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
I didn't have a Z15 or CAN bus in use with either of my S800 crashes. The system did not shut down entirely (at least the motors didn't), but sounded more like an uncontrolled motor(s) overspeed.
If you were using a WKM, you were using the can bus. It is the 4 lead connectors that allow the various components to communicate with each other.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
S800 makes the news

http://www.pressherald.com/news/aeri...012-09-15.html
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, VT, Bristol
Joined Sep 2010
115 Posts
Just an idea about the FOD mystery-
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that long power lines to the esc cause ripple voltage issues, and the esc's don't seem to have any big capacitors to guard against it.
I wanted to pull an esc and put in a castle creations one to measure it but never got around to it.

I have mentioned this before, but I discovered that one of my props simply would not balance while in use, even though it was precisely balanced on the stand. It had a slight defect in the construction. I would highly suggest everyone test each arm individually on the bench, and measure it with a vibration meter. (The Vibration ap for iphone is what I used) The dji battery straps are good for keeping the arm from flying away while you test.

Although Denny's prop adapters might be the best solution.
yeehaanow is offline Find More Posts by yeehaanow
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Good point, but at least in my ESCs there are two big capacitors. Should be ok..

Vibration testing might make sense..
cropter is offline Find More Posts by cropter
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaanow View Post
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that long power lines to the esc cause ripple voltage issues, and the esc's don't seem to have any big capacitors to guard against it.
I wanted to pull an esc and put in a castle creations one to measure it but never got around to it.

I have mentioned this before, but I discovered that one of my props simply would not balance while in use, even though it was precisely balanced on the stand. It had a slight defect in the construction. I would highly suggest everyone test each arm individually on the bench, and measure it with a vibration meter. (The Vibration ap for iphone is what I used) The dji battery straps are good for keeping the arm from flying away while you test.

I use my iphone app all the time. I have seen caps. fall off due to vibration. I am going to try these 14x8 Graupner E to see how they perform against the APC's Did anyone check to see if Caps were loose after the FOD.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Last edited by dennyrowland@mac; Sep 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaanow View Post

Any guidance on how to power up the arms without the frame to test? or is everyone just unplugging 5 arms and just running up the left over arm without props.

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
I use my iphone app all the time. I have seen caps. fall off due to vibration. I am going to try these 14x8 Graupner E to see how they perform against the APC's Did anyone check to see if Caps were loose after the FOD.
have you tried the 14x8 E i have received mine but not the prop adapters i still have to wait .
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Kudelstaart
Joined Jul 2012
73 Posts
I fly the s800 with the Naza+gps and the Graupner mx-16 hott. I have made ​​many flights without problems.
I think the crashes and problems must be sought in the wookong.
Taszz is online now Find More Posts by Taszz
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
don't know if this is old news. Not going to read back. But the retraceable is for the s800 is shown on the Photokina. Check this FB profile for pictures.

Ah other stuff too. Fs100 Gimbal DJI VTX and Heli naza.

https://www.facebook.com/GlobeFlight

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszz View Post
I fly the s800 with the Naza+gps and the Graupner mx-16 hott. I have made ​​many flights without problems.
I think the crashes and problems must be sought in the wookong.
I agree
c3d76 is offline Find More Posts by c3d76
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,060 Posts
So, here is a video from the S800 arm vibration tests we did earlier today.
The test was done by removing the props from all but one arm, and then mounting a small mirror at the arm. A laser pointer is then pointed at the mirror so that a spot is reflected at the wall. If there was little or no vibration, the laser should still be a tight spot on the wall or just become slightly fussy during testing.
But as you can see there is a bit more then slight fussing going on.. Propeller was tested in a balance jig before the run, and was pretty much close to perfect. We also tried lifting the S800 up from the ground to eliminate any resonances, and the vibrations where perhaps marginally better but to little to say for sure.

DJI S800 laser pointer vibration test (0 min 27 sec)
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
United States, VT, Bristol
Joined Sep 2010
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrimoungchanh View Post
Any guidance on how to power up the arms without the frame to test? or is everyone just unplugging 5 arms and just running up the left over arm without props.

KS
Just unplug all arms but one, or take props off the others. Seems much easier to do the former. That's what I did.
I found the motors themselves to run very smooth with no props. No vibes at all.
yeehaanow is offline Find More Posts by yeehaanow
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
So, here is a video from the S800 arm vibration tests we did earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7ZTRW3uhU
what happens if you do the same test, without the props? does it dance around that much too?

Regards,

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
If you were using a WKM, you were using the can bus. It is the 4 lead connectors that allow the various components to communicate with each other.
Thanks, I understand now.
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Sep 20, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrimoungchanh View Post

KS
I simply unplug the motor wires and use a servo tester to run each one individually. I like the Laser pointer method and the iphone to do the checking.
The vibration level seen with the standard DJI carbon blades is I am sure enough to break a capacitor wire over time. maybe we should be using a blob of silicon to support them.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac